Polo Oil Consumption...

muckingfuppet

Get the impression that Dealers / Garage are not fighting the issue as hard as the once did. May be it's it, Shut the Customer up time and take the Warranty hit until model phased OUT.

I MIGHT BE WRONG BUT JUST A FEELING.

• Like 1

Something I've mentioned before is that whilst testing driving should probably be realistic. For example if you are told to cover 350 miles as my example I would and did avoid long runs where oil consumption is likely to be much lower I am assuming.

• Like 1

The original and correctly described 'Dynamic Test' driven by a Technician was 100 km, and a multiplication of ten on the Oil Used.

That was actually accurate results, and they had to rebuild or replace engines.

Then they reduced vehicles that were being allowed to be filled with 3.6 litres, sealed and the owner drove for 600 miles.

They went to a 300 km test (186 miles) with a technician or owner driving,

and managed to get the 0.3 litre per 1000 km by the multiplication and lack of accuracy,

and even technicians without a clue of the weight of 3.6 litres of engine oil before testing.

putting in the new filter and 3.6 litres and driving a car with a sealed oil cap and dipstick does not seem too much to expect 

Skoda to allow you to drive.

3 - 3 1/2 Tanks of Petrol to do the test and not 1 litre of oil used.,

If the engine needs 1 litre per 1200 miles in the years 2010-2014, Volkswagen Audi Group must know a 1390cc engine has failed.

If they were Japanese, they should fall on their sword.

Being German they should get the hand in the pocket and admit their failures, and be a bit more honest.

george

• Like 1

Something I've mentioned before is that whilst testing driving should probably be realistic. For example if you are told to cover 350 miles as my example I would and did avoid long runs where oil consumption is likely to be much lower I am assuming.

Use Sport mode aggressively when engine cold! On /off  throttle work may also help to increase consumption for the short test. Other options I'm sure.

The original and correctly described 'Dynamic Test' driven by a Technician was 100 km, and a multiplication of ten on the Oil Used.

That was actually accurate results, and they had to rebuild or replace engines.

Then they reduced vehicles that were being allowed to be filled with 3.6 litres, sealed and the owner drove for 600 miles.

They went to a 300 km test (186 miles) with a technician or owner driving,

and managed to get the 0.3 litre per 1000 km by the multiplication and lack of accuracy,

and even technicians without a clue of the weight of 3.6 litres of engine oil before testing.

putting in the new filter and 3.6 litres and driving a car with a sealed oil cap and dipstick does not seem too much to expect 

Skoda to allow you to drive.

3 - 3 1/2 Tanks of Petrol to do the test and not 1 litre of oil used.,

If the engine needs 1 litre per 1200 miles in the years 2010-2014, Volkswagen Audi Group must know a 1390cc engine has failed.

If they were Japanese, they should fall on their sword.

Being German they should get the hand in the pocket and admit their failures, and be a bit more honest.

george

Did you get the Test results I sent you?

Use Sport mode aggressively when engine cold! On /off  throttle work may also help to increase consumption for the short test. Other options I'm sure.

When you've reported high oil consumption then it is probably important for the test to come back as a failure for peace of mind that something is going to be done to put it right. It may sound odd but I'd have been really annoyed if mine had come back "within tolerance" as it would still be using oil to have been noticeable in the first place. At least a new engine is the best chance to fix the problem.

Drive it HARD and don't hold back!

• Like 1

Sadly when I bought my skoda it had just come out of it's warranty. I've now out in 6 litres to 6000 miles. When I brought in the empty 5 litre oil bottle from topping up recently my father couldn't quite believe I'd used 6 litres - 6000 miles. His vw transporter has a minor oil leak and he has used half that amount to near enough the Same amount of miles.

What approach should I take seen as it no longer has a warranty left?

Think you need to enter aGoodwill claim. How old is the car,months out of warranty. How many miles on the clock. Has it been. Serviced by Skoda and at the correct frequency?

If it has had no warranty work done like an oil consumption test and breather mod so no known issues you can buy a skoda extended warranty. But if skoda have already done warranty paid checks and not resolved the issues. Then now is there chance. They should have recalled before cars were over 3 years old.

Basically 'The Warranty Issue',  & 'The Oil Consumption issue'  is what me and some others  have been warning about,

Skoda sold around 1,800 vRS 1.4 TSI Twinchargers, in the UK 2010-late 2012

Quite a number have proved to be faulty.

they sold similar numbers of Seat Ibiza Cupra 2009-2012

Half as many Polo GTI, and half again Audi A1 185 ps.

The problems have meant cars needing Oil consumption tests, breather Pipe/Valve Mods, ECU updates and Rebuilt or Replacement engines in possible 20 % of the cars,

& this figure is rising.

Volkswagen Audi Group has not accepted there is a problem, 

& now cars are going out of warranty,

Cars are now with 2nd, 3rd and 4th owners and some are only now being shown to be faulty when out od Warranty.

VAG knew this would happen.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK =  Admit Nothing And Make the Customer Fight For Repairs Where WE Got It Wrong.

They know they got it wrong because Mid to Late 2012 they introduced the CTHE Engine.

CAVE Engines 2009-2012 had a high percentage of failures.

Design, Manufacturing or Material Faults.

george

'vrskeith',    

Just looked at your Oil Consumption test,  and sorry i can not see it well but one thing stands out.

*Weight of oil at start of test.* 3408 grams.*

It should have in 3.6 litres of oil for your engine,  

& a litre of engine oil is 857 Grams @ 15 *oC, so 3.6 litres is 3085.2 grams.

So where does the Technician doing the test come up with his weight for the oil at the start of the test?

*3408 grams of oil at the start of the test, even if weighed @ 80*oC is 3.9 litres of oil.*

Almost 4 litres of oil as show on the Test Sheet.

SKODA 'FAIL'  Building the engine,  

TECHNICIAN 'Fail' even putting in the right amount of oil.

PLEASE ASK YOUR DEALERSHIP DOING THE TEST, AND SKODA UK CUSTOMER SERVICES,

'Should a 1.4 TSI CAVE/CTHE Twincharger be filled with 3.6 litres of full synthetic VW 502 (504)

5w 30 or 5w 40

Or

Do they now fill them with 3.9+ litres of oil. (3.97 litres)

& is this the correct quantity of oil for a Oil Consumption test.

(over filling like many have done by mistake for 4 years now, causing problems in quite a few cases.!)

• Like 1

All interesting advice for using oil lol! however, just so you know, I drive mine very hard most of the time, do numerous track days, and go quickly from cold, ....

my last top up was 3,000 miles ago, and its still 3/4 full......

I believe these engines love to be driven hard, and if they are they dont use oil!

• Like 2

As above.

Using a a tank of fuel up at a rate of 22 mpg - 30 mpg enjoying the car sportingly seldom has them using oil.

Long runs, shorter fast runs, even pretty short runs.

Using them and doing runs where you are getting over 40 mpg should not having them using oil.

Using up a tank of fuel over several weeks or days, short journeys, engine not getting up to temp etc,

might well have a higher Oil Use on engines prone to using oil.

But not on all Twinchargers.

The Majority of CAVE engines do not use oil in normal or even spirited use.

Why should they.?

the 1.4 TSI in 105 ps, 122 ps. 140 ps are the same Base Engine, 

These do not use oil, and do not have many being reported as having problems,

There are many thousands of those in the UK & around the world.

Adding a Supercharger, different Injectors, map etc might well have a 1.4 TSI having problems.

& it has with a fair few CAVE 2009-2012,

and a so far only small number of the first CTHE from late 2012

george

Vrs keith... im waiting on skodaUK to get back to me regarding full report and also about getting a longer warranty than a year (its possibly took 40, 000 miled to start using oil).

I have had a full replacement apart from the head I think, well from what I can see. Everything below the head it brand new. Dont know if my old engine had this but mine has vw/audi stamped into it quite clearly. As I said my old engine may have had that but I didnt notice. Also cant actually find my engine number at the moment. My service book has finally been filled in now though so I can prove an engine change.

Edited by Th3Grinch
  • Like 2

My fabia is a 60 plate.

Done just under 20,000 miles has a full skoda service history but I'll have to check whether it's ever had any engine work! My current service is 2 months overdue because of money issues recently! If it hasn't had any work done on it would it be worth me getting the extended warranty? How much is an extended warranty by the way?

My fabia is a 60 plate.

Done just under 20,000 miles has a full skoda service history but I'll have to check whether it's ever had any engine work! My current service is 2 months overdue because of money issues recently! If it hasn't had any work done on it would it be worth me getting the extended warranty? How much is an extended warranty by the way?

That is low mileage for the year.

Try and get the car in for service, don't give Skoda /VAG any out.

After the service submit a Goodwill claim and register via e-mail to Skoda UK Customer Services.  Arrange that immediately post the service DAY oil change you and the Dealership embark on a Consumption test. Should be completed with in a week max.

Do not pay for the test if your consumption is as high as you say.

Keep all invoices for the purchase of oil, use Skoda dealer for this is always best.

Get that Good will off to Skoda UK post haste . Use the contact e-mail on the Skoda UK website.

Best of luck ,Use the sound advise, from some very  helpful contributors in threads on here!

Consider the extended Warranty issue later, if funds are tight. Skoda UK  KNOW OF THE PRESSURE COMING FROM DISSATISFIED OWNERS. More recently showing the higher mileage cars 35000 miles and hence not even reaching the 60000,albeit the 3 year appears to override this but push for a fit for purpose product!

• Like 1

All interesting advice for using oil lol! however, just so you know, I drive mine very hard most of the time, do numerous track days, and go quickly from cold, ....

my last top up was 3,000 miles ago, and its still 3/4 full......

I believe these engines love to be driven hard, and if they are they dont use oil!

Understand your enjoyment with the car,as I think we would all agree with fun this car can give.

However , the failure rate of 10- 20 % is totally unacceptable in this day and age, of ever higher quality and that should also mean Engineering design, development and overall performance.

Supporting the less fortunate is a must!

As this is a lot of money for the majority of owners.

Continue to have fun and enjoy yours, only wish other could.

Keith

• Like 1

Just submitted an e-mailed detailed claim for my Partners car, which was granted a new engine yesterday.

NEW ENGINE, WHATEVER THAT MEANS.

In my view that should be the latest spec engine and a FULL REPLACEMENT, INCLUDING CYLINDER HEAD ASSEMBLY AND A REPLACEMENT CAT. 

• Like 2

Thats what my opinion was keith. New engine means new engine. Not parts. But like I said from what I can see I have a new engine apart from head. 500miles in and no oil use. Doesnt give me any confidence though. Not when it took 40k for the engine to start using oil. (Thats assuming it hasnt always had the problem and was ignored. )

• Like 1

I last checked my oil level to Skoda recommendations 1 month ago, the level was halfway up the hatched area.  Since then I have not been able to drive due to an operation on my left arm.  Today I decided to check the oil level cold and run up the engine to see if the battery had held charge.

The level cold was just above the hatched area, so if I had topped up the oil hot it would have been seriously overfilled. So now I will not top up the oil unless it is at the bottom of the dipstick hot.  I check weekly by the way and do less than 10,000 miles/annum.

I hope you find this of interest.

Tony

There are so many threads on the go perhaps it's time for an oil usage sub forum ;) ?

Seriously, a sorry state of affairs for those affected. Although I'm very happy with my car reading about the runaround Skoda have given people it's put me off buying VAG again (and this is my fourth consecutive VAG).

Skoda just appear to deny everything - e.g. leaky rear doors on the MKI despite just about every car that left the factory suffering the problem - appreciate the oil consumption is a far more serious issue but I did find driving a colander on wheels a tad tiresome.

tonyvrs,  not sure what you are saying.,  

if you checked it cold and it was above the Cross hatch it had enough oil, so no need to top up before a trip.

So if you started it and had it sitting running for 5-10 minutes where was that on the stick.

That would not be a hot check, it is unlikely to have got the oil to 50*oC.

If you are going to run an engine which now has 3.6 litres in until there is no oil on the stick with a hot check,

or the light comes on, you might be down to only 2 litres of oil in the engine.

If you have a good engine, then surely you just keep checking it cold,

keep it to the level it is at now,  check before trips or occasionally

and all stays good.

Cold with 3.6 litres in or 3.7 litres shows a bit different between the top of the cross hatch and the 

top orange marker.

(Skoda used the same dipstick in the engines that need 3.6 litres and in the different engines that are 

supposed to have 3.9 litres,

inaccuracy can be expected.)

A Skoda Technician seems to have done a Consumption Test on a Members car this past week with 3.9 litres in the engine.

This is not unusual at servicing and oil and filter changes,

they are just so careless in some workshops.

Thanks for the advice guys! Currently on 19,600 So I've done 6300 to 6 litres and the oil light is on again.

I'll get it booked in for a service next week then ask for an oil test! It was serviced by ford before I bought it so it has had a service but should I still get it serviced at skoda or go straight for the oil test?

What service, 2 years/20,000 miles.

Are you getting Fixed Servicing, or Flexible Servicing?

I would get the Consumption Test done and have Skoda UK Pay for it.

Before the Service, if you know it is an Oil User, and 1 litre per 1000 miles is an Oil User,

But if the car needs its Major Inspection Service, you need that doing.

See what the Dealer Says about Oil & Filter cost,

they probably want you paying for the Service and parts.

EDIT,

Sorry, i see now it is a 60 Plate, 

When was it first Registered,?

Is this a 3rd Service Due,  Minor Service, & Brake Fluid needs doing?

It was registered November 2010.

The third service was done by ford before I bought it as it was ford I purchased it off. From what I've been told brake fluid Ect was changed then.

Today my red warning light came on, so I've now put 7.5 litres of oil In after only 6600 miles. This definitely isn't right.

I don't know whether to ring skoda and ask if I can extend my warranty or simply go in and ask for an oil test! What would you Gus suggest?