Whistle/boost leak/sucking

Car started with a whistle when putting foot down

Sounds like a whistly sucking noise.

Had bumper off all seals have been changed on the boost pipes, the turbo pipe has been changed to a new forge one. All pipes have been self tapped and cable tied. The intercooler has been cleaned and could not see any leaks, some fins where slightly pressed in.

9esevuse.jpg

(Picture was before it was cleaned)

The only place I've not checked is the pipe that connects to the egr itself and exhaust manifold (can this make a whistle noise??)

However with it I don't feel a loss of power just a slight and mean very slight hesitant before boost kicks in then pulls hard as it would/should

Any thoughts or help much appreciated

Kieran

I agree it's strange. I replaced the bottom boost pipe from the intercooler to the metal pipe. it cost about 100 quid. it hushed it up for six months and sadly it's back. I would say that I give up. interestingly though, I've disconnected the egr actuator vacuum hose and the sound is only when you hammer the car now. this could mean that the noise comesfrom boost pressure escaping through the egr.

well that's surely all there is. it's just a massive design fault (the coupler system). I just wish they would have used standard hoses and clips.

I think it's a way for them to make lotttttts money :( The pipes are ridonkulously expensive and fail so easily = money for them in after car sales.

Is there nothing else I can check?

I've had lots of boost leaks over the last 11 years with my car and found the best way to find them is to stick the it on a car ramp and rev it hard (best done in neutral lol) and the leak will soon be found. You'd be surprised where the leak is compared to where you think the sound is coming from while driving.

Fixing the leak is then straight forward.

You can buy pressure testers from the likes of ebay to help find a boost leak / suspected leak also.

I would stick to a pressure tester from the bay rather than revving and listening because a lot of leaks won't be detected til under full load.

Gonna do that idea, though can't see it being any of the pipes as they are pretty much like new and held together with self tappers and cable ties

So unplug from egr and turbo, block both ends and pump up the pressure

y7y5ymyb.jpg

Can this pipe leak air?? (The one that fits to underneath the EGR)

Checking whole system and that pipe doesn't have a gasket (could this be my problem?

And the air box trumpet, the bit that connects to the airbox. The clip on the bottom is useless so the bottom hangs out

I'm assuming that's the egr pipe? If that leaked you would know about it because the area would be.covered in soot from the exhaust.

If you want to rule out the airbox, take it off leaving the maf in place and go for a drive. (remembering leaving your air box off for anything longer than a drive up the road will potentially damage your engine)

I have it too, was told that it was just the turbo spooling and air getting pushed through the pipework at velocity 

I will be checking my pipework when I get a few hours too but mine is the same. Very distinctive at about 2000 revs and dies down/goes at about 2500 revs

Just turbo noise

Never done it before

I have it too, was told that it was just the turbo spooling and air getting pushed through the pipework at velocity

I will be checking my pipework when I get a few hours too but mine is the same. Very distinctive at about 2000 revs and dies down/goes at about 2500 revs

That's the one =\

It's not just normal turbo noise. I had it really bad on my ca. to the point I was losing power and got rid of the noise for several months and regained fuel economy and power that I'd never experienced from my car before.

It's not just normal turbo noise. I had it really bad on my ca. to the point I was losing power and got rid of the noise for several months and regained fuel economy and power that I'd never experienced from my car before.

how'd you sort it mate