Whistle/boost leak/sucking

Well averaged 51 MPG on drive to Whitby so it can't be that bad of a leak (driving style was varied with stop start and some clear stretches)

Though the noise was still there all through the gears oh how it winds me!

May just have to use this as an excuse to get a front mount with hard piping

• 2 months later...

my economy is good and its not smoking so no idea what it is..... 

im starting to think it is the turbo on the way out... it sounds like a very quiet referees whistle, almost like there is a leak and it is opening and closing making it warble!

Cheers

Daz

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just had the turbo changed and this is now also happening to me. A whistling while on Throttle.

Will be checking the various pipes leading from the intercooler, possibly invest in a few jubilee clips to try and fix it.

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd ask this in here.

I did a car swap with my old man today as I had an errand to do and I couldn't get all the gear in the Fabia VRS.

The old man's car is a PD150 GT TDi Golf (MK4). The first time I ever drove it, years back it was rapid and I was impressed with its power however I last drove it a year or so back and it felt massively down on power. I did some research for the old man as he can't use the WWW lol and from what I can remember it was a pipe of some kind, boost pipe maybe that was causing it to be low on power and blow out loads of brown smoke.

Anyway, I drove it today as he's since had it fixed and it's much quicker than the VRS, especially in 3rd. It pulls far better and feels as though the air is pulling in more freely and that it's breathing better. Something else I've noticed is the turbo makes a much louder sucking noise than mine, I'm talking 3-4 times as loud, and it sounds great where as the VRS' you can barely hear it when you accelerate. 3rd in the Golf is much much louder.

Is it just through having whatever pipe it was replaced that's made it force more air in, and is the loud whoosing/sucking noise normal? Just another question, is it a far more powerful better turbo that's on the PD150 in comparison to that which comes with the PD130?

Just find it hard to believe the difference in power considering there's only a 20bhp difference in power between the two cars.  Want mine to sound like that, mine feels very restricted and sluggish at the moment. :(

Mines been doing it for 18 months assumed may be damage to cold side impeller will look tomorrow, although car will do in excess of 70 mpg pulls hard uses no oil and does not smoke lol anyone want to buy a 2007 vrs ?

Mines been doing it for 18 months assumed may be damage to cold side impeller will look tomorrow, although car will do in excess of 70 mpg pulls hard uses no oil and does not smoke lol anyone want to buy a 2007 vrs ?

So yours sounds louder too then? Wonder if my turbo isn't functioning correctly?

Ok, let's get this straight, you're wondering why a more powerful car feels more powerful then a less powerful car?

Is this a trick question?

No Mr Smarty pants. If you actually read the post correctly I know it's more powerful and I've stated that in my post but 20bhp isn't a big difference in the grand scheme of things and I wouldn't have expected it to feel that much quicker.

I suggest you re-read my post as I asked questions about the turbo specifically and the turbo noise but also how much better breathing the Golf seems to be over the Fabia.

Sense of humour failure has made your car slower, suggest you change to an uprated sense of humour and remap your expectations.  :D

Ha ha! I do have a sense of humour, I just didn't find your post very funny lol. ;)

This one was better though.

Looked at cold side of impeller on turbo yesterday expecting damage to edges of turbine blades but looks as new with no signs of play in shaft etc starting to think it's the vent set up ie stuck levers as next doors big vs sounds the same .