Yeti - Tiguan

lfc958

Just done a comparison price & spec wise of  My L&K Yeti  with the closest Tiguan/ s

S line ( engine is 210 PS as compared to 160) = £33,815

Match ( engine is same 160 PS) = 28,300

Cannot do the Escape model as no Petrol enigne only 2 Diesel.

To make it fair i have added the rear camera to my spec as this comes with the upgraded radio on the VW

L&K ( 160 PS) =  £26,675

I was actually thinking about the Tiguan before ordering the Yeti

PHEW a lucky escape from overpaying by around £1700.

We compared the Tiguan, Touran, Q3 etc and it came as no real shock that the VW's and Audi were much dearer than a specced up L&K ... and that was before you specced them up so they came close to the Yeti's std spec (but still had items we wanted missing).

Hence why the L&K was ordered.

I have not been inside a tiguan but if its anything like the rest of the vw range I would imagine its a lot nicer inside.

That's my biggest issue with the yeti - too much cheap plastic.

I test drove a second hand  SE Tiguan 140 diesel 4*4 before settling on a new Yeti 140 diesel elegance 4*4.

It was a close run thing, both are really nice cars both capable on and off road, but the Tiguan had 18k on the clock and no off road button and actually cost a few quid more than I paid for the brand new Yeti.

Wow, so you could have had the Tiguan Match for just £1700 more. And that's before hammering out the discount off list. I think that's good value for a bigger, more refined car with a nicer interior.

Yeti interior does feel a bit budget to me having come straight from a mk2 Octavia. It feels narrower and the door plastics are hard not slush molded and they have no coloured inserts like the Octavia does.

I guess it dpeneds what you are used to, where you look and what your expectations are.

I've never considered what the door plastics are made of.

All I know is that after 30k miles of hard graft they look like new still.

• Like 3

Wow, so you could have had the Tiguan Match for just £1700 more. And that's before hammering out the discount off list. I think that's good value for a bigger, more refined car with a nicer interior.

Your personal view around refined & nicer interior, 

The interior of the forthcoming ( not yet got)  car has virtually the same interior feel as my FL octy vRS, and was just doing a compare the meerkat out of curiosity - Simpleees

I have not been inside a tiguan but if its anything like the rest of the vw range I would imagine its a lot nicer inside.

Where would we be without the odd whinger to depress us. At least there is a steady flow of dross.

Where would we be without the odd whinger to depress us. At least there is a steady flow of dross.

everyone's allowed an opinion. ;) The Tiguan is bigger with a decent extra few litres of boot capacity. The dashboard design is dire IMO but the materials pretty good. The leather on the model I drove was leagues better than the plastic rubbish in the Yeti but the ride and handling wasn't as well judged and you felt more roll in the bends. The ride was pretty unsettled at lower speeds in particular, possibly due to 19" alloys! Overall, I preferred the Yeti, even without considering the 4.5k difference at the time. :)
  • Like 1

I'm very impressed with mine over my previous vRS SE and not much different to my son's 56 plate Golf GT.

A skoda is never going to be as good quality wise as a VW, it'd be a pointless excersise for VAG.

Hi before I bought my "Snowman", test drove ,Tiguan,Impressa , Holden Captiva, Ford Territory & Mazda's.

All were nice, but none had the quality build of my "Snowman",  plus they were all "all wheel drives" not 4x4',

and us Aussie's have places where 4x4 is preferental.

I have not regretted my decision, which was made 2 years ago. Not of a Whim,  but by carefull research,

Plus accessories helped my clinch the deal.

I learnt a long time ago, with Vehicles if it feels good, it is generally is GOOD.

Toyota HiLux diesel, Land Rover Disco TD5, Both vehicles did over 800(Km).

Edited by Gobmax

Before I get slated for being the "whinger"... I just pointed out that for £1700 more you probably see where the money is spent.

I knew exactly what the interior was like before I ordered my Yeti - so I'm not complaining about it. At the end of the day it's a Skoda, not a VW - so it's not going to get adorned with aluminium and so much soft-touch or high quality materials. The parts they fitted are absolutely fine. But they are cheap.

Compare the door card of the Yeti with that of a Passat, or the door pull, or any of the plastics from the below the swage-line on the dash.

Yes the same plastics can also be found in VW's but there's less of them, they start lower and most of the higher touchpoints are better quality.

Just saying, that's why you pay more for a V-dub.

Would I swap my Yeti for a Tiguan? Errr, no thanks. The Tiguan looks a bit soft & bloated to me. I'm happy with the Yeti.

But it would be nice if the interior had a little more to lift it - but don't worry, I'm doing my own upgrades to overcome it's deficiencies - just to make it a nicer place to spend time.

Erm... steady flow of dross.... please explain???

The "classic" quality test is if the interior grab handles have dampening.   :p

I was surprised to get in a mk1 Yeti 170 a few weeks ago, to find that it hadn't got dampening!?

Why the surprise? What Skoda's have ever had damped interior grab handles?!

Surely a Superb?

If they do I've never noticed it. Which probably says quite a bit about how much importance most people would place on having such a facility?

A fair point, I just like Skoda for the very fact that your getting VAG engineering to some degree whether it be old or new technology.  I thought that's why we all like Skoda, for the function at a not so heavily branded cost?

The "classic" quality test is if the interior grab handles have dampening.   :p

I was surprised to get in a mk1 Yeti 170 a few weeks ago, to find that it hadn't got dampening!?

Nope the FL doesn't have damped grab handles.

Incidentally one of the first things I tried when I got inside one... I remember being "wowed" by them on a Mk5 golf about 12 years ago.

Completely pointless though. Has anyone ever complained about their grab handle not being sufficiently damped?

I was just a bit miffed when I was looking at a Yeti 170, that when new was £20K plus, but didn't have dampened handles.

Honestly it's just me...I can't help it, I fitted them in my vRs and the SDI.