Yeti - Tiguan

lfc958

I genuinely don't think I've ever even used one of them! At the end of the day, something has to differentiate the Skoda and the more expensive vw equivalents and if its things like damped interior grab handles and damped struts for the bonnet then I'm a happy bunny!

• Like 3

Even poverty spec Superb has dampened grab handles above all four doors, and twindoor has a boot that self closes the last little bit using a motor. Nice touches.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Even poverty spec Superb has dampened grab handles above all four doors, and twindoor has a boot that self closes the last little bit using a motor. Nice touches.

Hmmm,

Another little motor to fail.

Whoopee!   :wall:

It's a door handle.

Does it matter?

Strikes me there are some very petty reasons for buying a car if you have to consider how an internal door handle closes!

Didn't lease the Superb because of the handles etc, but it is a nice touch. If I was influenced by toys and gimmicks I wouldn't have chosen poverty spec

The "classic" quality test is if the interior grab handles have dampening.   :p

I was surprised to get in a mk1 Yeti 170 a few weeks ago, to find that it hadn't got dampening!?

WHAT!

Even the MKI Superb had them, not that I have ever used them!!

TBH I will never notice them in the Yeti when it arrives, now footwell light.... that's a different matter!

TBH I will never notice them in the Yeti when it arrives, now footwell light.... that's a different matter!

That sounds like another mod to the Yeti when it arrives - Connected to the electric seat maybe ?

I  knew when i posted this that  I would get some response, but not to the point of almost starting an online fight  ;)  :)

It has highlighted the range of views on what is percieved as overpriced & build quality, although even the person who has swapped to a VW still prefers the Yeti.

Before mine has even arrived it is obvious that the Yeti is a vehicle that will engage their owners.

I hope that after owning such a brilliant car that my Octy has been will not dissapoint.

I intend powering it to the CECM ... if it supports it as I like to keep all mods as OE as possible.

CECM ?

- Front & Rear underseat lighting ?

CECM = central electronic control module.

I will be surprised if they cannot be turned on with VCDS... but until I try anything is possible.

Yes they will be front and rear footwell lights I fit.

Interesting. I didn't even consider contemplating a VW Tiguan when we bought the Yeti. It just looks so dull. Automotive wallpaper. I can't help it but exterior design does play a huge part in our choice of cars. On the other hand, I can't get too excited about quality of plastics etc, especially coming from 8 years of Subarus. We did have a poke around in the neighbours Tourans (which have the same rear seats as the Yeti) and the interior design was fine, but it wasn't we-must-have-that brilliant. The difference between cars in the VAG is not so much (in my view) actual quality (as they all have the same engineering and the same parts) but perceived quality. As far as the inside design is clean (not fussy), and as long as the seats and touch points (literally the steering wheel, gear knob, handbrake and door handles) feel good, then I'm happy that I don't have to pay more.  

• Like 1

How difficult it is to compare apples with apples, when not all apples are the same. Last year I had the opportunity to compare a Nissan 2.0 litre Qashqui equivalent here on Oz, where it is known as a Dualis. After driving my friend's Dualis and being a passenger as well, I do admit to definately prefering my 1.8tsi Yeti. Both do the job of getting you from point A to point B. However, the road handling of the Yeti is superior, it has more power and a lot less plastic interior. The seating position in the Yeti and bonnet position do provide; at least for me, a better driving experience. 

Oh, by the way, the last time my Yeti was serviced; where all types of VAG cars are serviced, I was asked when picking it up, 'What is it about all you Yeti owners?" To which I asked, "what do you mean?" Well, you all love your Yetis was the reply. I did ask if Tiguan owners where catigorised in the same way, and apparently they are not. Well, at least not where my Yeti is serviced! Go figure!!!!!

• Like 3

Before we bought the Yeti we had just done 125000 miles over 6 years in a 1.9tdi Golf Plus - a really excellent car, the only failure being a leaking front damper at about 110000 miles. We considered a Tiguan 140 SE and found it to be a great car, spacious, economical, fast enough, handled satisfactorily for a tall 4 x 4 and was brilliantly refined. The interior was almost exactly the same as the golf, rather staid in design but the ergonomics and quality could hardly be faulted. There were only two drawbacks as the price difference was only about £1200 at the time, those being the rear seat sliding mechanism doesn't allow full use of the available height when the seats are folded as they don't tumble forwards or take out and at the time the Yeti suited our needs more closely. We think we made the correct choice out of two very good competing cars.

Steve

Good news today - My car now has confirmed build date of next week, which is what i was advised originally.

This will be the quickest i have ever got a new Skoda -

Deposit & ordered on March 15th, ( WK 12)

Advised build week on March18th of WK 16 ( w/c 14 April)

Confirmed build today so that is 4 weeks to build from order :rock:  

Am very much hoping to be taking it to the next Maidstone meet, but i really think it will be unlikely.

• Like 1

I'd never considered the Tiguan either. Boring to look at and that dashboard... my, oh my, oh my, I can never live with something with that many ROUND airvents staring me. Really by a country mile one of the ugliest dashboards in the ENTIRE VAG lineup.  And to my seasoned fingers (I go to most all motorshows in Europe getting in and out of a LOT of cars) the quality of the dash, doors, the HVAC, stalks, door thunk, etc is pretty similar between the Tig and Yeti so I suspect a lot of this "better quality interior" is in people's heads as befuddled by the VW marketing machine.

As to the Yeti's interior being cheap?! Erm anybody seen the Driver Power Survey results were the Yeti has the BEST build quality of ANY of the top 100 cars.  Yes better than any Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and better than ANY Volkswagen.  Food for thought that:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/driver-power/63992/category-winners

Best for build quality

Position Make Model %
1 Skoda Yeti 96.25%
2 Lexus IS MkII 95.45%
3 BMW 5 Series MkVI 94.48%        

Last place Ford Galaxy MkIII 80.29%

Cheers pal  :kiss:  :rofl:

Cheers pal :kiss::rofl:

Iain we two have had many conversations about Spider eyes. You know my views. :-) You only got a Spidercar because of your heavy new caravan. If you had a nice old mature and light van like mine you could have kept Yentl. :happy:

Iain we two have had many conversations about Spider eyes. You know my views. :-) You only got a Spidercar because of your heavy new caravan. If you had a nice old mature and light van like mine you could have kept Yentl. :happy:

It'll not be long before you have your new 'van .... mark my words!

I agree that the Tiguan dashboard is really unattractive in comparison to the Yeti. Especially if we add some of those pretty chrome rings around the Climatronic knobs from Superskoda, for instance. Or some adhesive wood trims from 'Wow trim'. Am I the only one who has ennobled a Yeti dash wiv a bit a wood, guv? It actually looks really nice if still not quite an exact match with the Boreal wood.

Bearing in mind we are left hand drive, of course, but I do believe right hand drive trims are also available. Whether or not people think wood dashes to be fuddy duddy, i find them to offer great additional decorative value in a Gobi Sand leather interior. The basic Yeti interior is solid and well made and merits a bit of extra decoration. I would have loved a wooden steering wheel as well! And the car has anyway much more character than the Tiguan.