Yeti - Tiguan

lfc958

Having swapped my Yeti 170 Elegance for a Tiguan 177 R Line ... to accomodate a heavier caravan ... preferred the Yeti.

Can't really put my finger on why.

Having also swapped a Yeti for a Tiguan for the same reason........I prefer the Tiguan as I think it is more refined and better built. I also prefer

the dash layout , but then we are all different.

I have to say I hate the sight of mine .... the most dissappointing car I've ever owned.

Oh well .... 

Bring back the Yeti.

That's a pity Ian given how much you liked your old Yeti.

I have to say I hate the sight of mine .... the most dissappointing car I've ever owned.....

I'm sad to hear that - your main reason to change was to handle a bigger caravan, I think?  Would you say what you don't like about the Tiguan? 

• Like 1

Having also swapped a Yeti for a Tiguan for the same reason........I prefer the Tiguan as I think it is more refined and better built. I also prefer

the dash layout , but then we are all different.

Oddly, perhaps, the Warranty Direct Reliability Index rates the Tiguan at 170*, which is not too good.  That stacks up with the 2 stars (out of 5) that Which? gave it for reliability.  Warranty Direct don't yet include the Yeti (too little data) but such evidence as there is suggests that the Yeti has fewer reliability problems.  Maybe the Czechs take greater pride in their work?

*The UK Reliability index takes into account all factors of a repair, the cost of the parts and the frequency of failures - The Average of all cars is 100 which means that if the figure for the car you are looking at has a higher than average index (118) it indicates that that car is less reliable than the average, if however there is a lower than average index (60) the reliability is better.

• Like 1

What I find difficult to understand is that apart from the bodywork the cars have nearly the same components so why the difference in reliability?

Built in different factories and assembled by different people - with perhaps different amounts of automation and different suppliers supplying seemingly or indeed similar components. Not difficult to work out that that's the main influence. Least the Tiguan is actually made in Wolfsburg.

What I find difficult to understand is that apart from the bodywork the cars have nearly the same components so why the difference in reliability?

Built in different factories and assembled by different people - with perhaps different amounts of automation and different suppliers supplying seemingly or indeed similar components. Not difficult to work out that that's the main influence. Least the Tiguan is actually made in Wolfsburg.

I'm sad to hear that - your main reason to change was to handle a bigger caravan, I think?  Would you say what you don't like about the Tiguan? 

Oh I have a list!

Poor economy (way below quoted figures)

177 doesn't feel nearly as powerful as the 170 in the Yeti (and my previous Octavia VRs's x3)

Retractable towbar is not really fit for purpose on the R Line

Gear ratios are too high solo and towing

Not as stable as the Yeti when towing

Truly awful dealer/buying experience

Happily I LOVE my new caravan which offsets some of the dislike of the Tiggy ... but watch this space .....!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

My new Yeti arrives on 20 June to replace my current car, a Tiguan 2 litre diesel. I've had it two years and I had one before that for three. It is with some trepidation therefore that I am changing to a Yeti, but from the test drives and all the positive comments here I am fairly sure I will feel justified in making the change.

Nothing wrong with the Tiguan, but it is in need of an update. When I got the first one in 2009 there wasn't nearly as much competition in this sector and so choice was a little more limited. Now though it seems others have caught up and surpassed the Tiguan.

I also agree with the comment about service. I have had pretty average to poor service from my local dealer, and on one occasion they had the car for almost two weeks to fix an seatbelt tensioner. The Bluetooth module also gave up after about 7 months. These things happen to all cars I know, but I was always left feeling as if they were "doing me a favour" by fixing things. In the case of the tensioner I had to get VWUK involved to make any progress.

Can't wait for the 20th !

Oh I have a list!

Poor economy (way below quoted figures)

177 doesn't feel nearly as powerful as the 170 in the Yeti (and my previous Octavia VRs's x3)

Retractable towbar is not really fit for purpose on the R Line

Gear ratios are too high solo and towing

Not as stable as the Yeti when towing

Truly awful dealer/buying experience

Happily I LOVE my new caravan which offsets some of the dislike of the Tiggy ... but watch this space .....!!!!!!!!!

I take it your not one of the 97% of customers who would recommend Arnold Clark or part of the 94% customer satisfaction. Makes you wonder how they arrive at these figures. Suspect your heading back to West End Garage?

Is that due to the extra weight perhaps, I believe the Tiguan is a fair bit heavier ?

Which perhaps accounts for the poor fuel economy too - what figures do you get ?

• Like 1

Is that due to the extra weight perhaps, I believe the Tiguan is a fair bit heavier ?

Which perhaps accounts for the poor fuel economy too - what figures do you get ?

Erm... Well to get to tow a heavier caravan Iain had to get a heavier car. So goes without saying that the Tiguan is heavier than a Yeti no? :happy: Longer wheelbase and it's a good two hundred mm or so longer.

Erm... Well to get to tow a heavier caravan Iain had to get a heavier car. So goes without saying that the Tiguan is heavier than a Yeti no? :happy: Longer wheelbase and it's a good two hundred mm or so longer.

Stupid me, not knowing all that eh ?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Nope the FL doesn't have damped grab handles.

Incidentally one of the first things I tried when I got inside one... I remember being "wowed" by them on a Mk5 golf about 12 years ago.

Completely pointless though. Has anyone ever complained about their grab handle not being sufficiently damped?

Just been announced that German cars are the least reliable including Porche with the Japanese the top six for reliability,Honda on top again,so why bother with a unreliable German Vw just because the interior finish is a bit better?

Just been announced that German cars are the least reliable including Porche with the Japanese the top six for reliability,Honda on top again,so why bother with a unreliable German Vw just because the interior finish is a bit better?

Because the Japanese don't make many cars that you might ever want to buy at present. Can someone remind me please: What was that Japanese make/model that offers a compact SUV with a decently powerful engine (0-60 in around 8 secs or better) and is available as a DSG automatic?

Because the Japanese don't make many cars that you might ever want to buy at present. Can someone remind me please: What was that Japanese make/model that offers a compact SUV with a decently powerful engine (0-60 in around 8 secs or better) and is available as a DSG automatic?

Well said!

Having had a Tiguan for 18 months and traded it in for a Yeti, I agree with those who have commented on Yeti's better performance and economy. There are other comments but I have another couple which some might not appreciate unless they have owned both...

1. The turning circle on the Yeti is unbelievable, especially for a 4x4. In fact equally as good or marginally better than my Jazz.

2. Even more important is visibility... If you arrive at a junction which is less (or is it greater?!) than 90 degrees and you look over your shoulder the vision is second to none.. The rear windows both side and rear are practical rather than fashion!

3. (Ok I said a couple but here's no 3) ... I'm 6ft 7in and I got totally fed up and bruised by the tailgate catching my head, whereas the Yeti has plenty of clearance... Also SWMBO loves the rubber dangly handle to help shut the tailgate instead of the inset "handles" which VW and most manufacturers use.

I love my now three week old Yeti... It took a lot to change an 18 month old Tig especially as I lost just over £1k per month, but have to say I'm so pleased I am now a Yeti convert. The manoeuvrability and performance of the 140 HDi DSG Yeti sold it to me.. As well as the fact I find the dash vents can be directed to wherever I want the air to go... They have a wider spread than the Tig spider eyes

• Like 2

More than £18,000 lost in 18 Months.  How much did the car cost in the first place? 

Or do you mean you were spending out on a Lease & this is what it has cost you?

Ouch.....I did much better only losing £2.5k in 29 months/28000 miles

And that was with selling it back to the supplying dealer. Tiguan prices must have eased a lot in 4 years