Blower fan intermittently working

Hi.  My blower fan keeps 'clicking' on and off.  It appears to cut out when the engine is under acceleration load and gets worse as the engine heats up (to a point where it just will not work at all).  I have replaced both the climatronic unit and the fan controller to no avail.  The fan itself runs perfectly when I run 12V through it.  Hitting the dash under the glovebox makes the fan click on, however it soon cuts out again.  At times it just keeps clicking on and off constanly.  Unfortunately, living on the Gold Coast in Australia, we need the air conditioning, however the hotter the weather, the worse the problem becomes. 

I have tried finding a solution through the forums, however can't seem to find anyone having this issue exactly.

To add, I had another look this morning.  The fan works without issue if I remove it from its housing ands hold it in my hand.  As soon as I put it back into its housing, it stops again.  The housing appears free from any obstruction to the fan itself.  The fan also appears to run freely until the car gets to operating temperature.  Are there any other sensors or relays that could be faulty?  Thanks.