Longer mud flaps

wakev

A guide to longer mud flaps.  My new ones are now 5in from the ground front and 6.5in from the ground rear.

Purchased 2 pairs from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350688480465?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 liked the look of them. when they arrived I found them to be stiff enough not to flap around but easy to cut.

The first thing I did was put them up against the skoda flaps to see how low I thought they should be, then put a pencil mark where the skoda flaps finished.

Remove the front flaps from the Yeti.
On the skoda flaps there is a part of the flap on the outer edge to line the new flaps up with, that will make them level with the ground (marked with the 2 yellow arrows)

20140405_131050_2.jpg    

Now mark the two holes where the skoda flap bolts on. take both new flaps and clamp or tape them together back to back, drill the two holes through both flaps, this will keep them both the same height.

Bolt the new  and skoda flap together.

20140405_132556.jpg

Cut out the square around the raised part of the skoda flap, I cut them with sharp tin snips and a stanley knife,  make a tab on the inner edge up to  just below the sunken part of the inner fixing point, make each side of the tab with pencil, and then shape the top of the flap to match the top of the skoda flap (marked with white arrows) I just shaved it off with a stanley knife.

Remove the bolts and then the top edge of the flap can be sanded to remove the sharp edges.

On the skoda flap you need to make a slot between the pencil marks  for the tab to go through,
I used a drill to drill a hole then just pushed it sideways to make the slot, then clean it up with the knife.

20140405_132632.jpg   

Take the new flap push the tab through the slot and adjust any parts that need a trim, then bolt them back together, I put two pop rivets through to help hold them together, but make sure the smooth side of the rivet is to the back of the flap or it will hold it away from the wheel arch, put washers on the other side of the rivet to hold them, (you may not need the righthand one but I felt happier with it holding the two flaps together 

4444.jpg

Job done. White arrows make the outer rivets position. 20140405_133119.jpg

To bolt them back on you will need two slightly longer screws for the holes with the bolts through (I used the ones in the new flap kit fitted a treat), for the inner bolt the original is still used.

The rear flaps are easy, put the new flap against one mark the height you want them remove the skoda flaps, lay the skoda flap against the mark and again there is a small area as the fronts that lines up to make them level to the ground, mark holes put the new flaps back to back and clamp,
drill the holes, bolt the skoda flaps on (for the FL you will need to put washers between the flaps because of the ridge in the flap, I used 4 on the top bolt and 3 on the lower one).

Cut off all excess and sand the edges, I did put a rivet in the top of the flap to hold it but you could just trim it down to the top bolt, again I used 2 washers between the flaps and one on the pop rivet pushed through from the back again.

Refit the flaps using longer bolts again on the holes with the new flaps, needs slightly longer ones than come with the new rally flaps.

Good luck it's not that hard to do give it a go. 
  • Like 2

Thanks for the fitting instructions .I ordered the flaps last night on eBay so will be a job for Saturday. Have now completed 800 miles since collecting 1.6 greenline outdoor elegance 3weeks ago. MPG is almost 70 so I am delighted. My wife got her new Qashqui tennis 1.5 diesel ,the latest model and already it is in the garage with a leak from one of the coolant system hoses.In addition the heated seat on the passenger side only works on the low setting, there is a check of a wind noise from the front nearside door,  the rear number plate has been badly drilled and burst the plastic .We do not know when we will get it back, I think it must have been built by British Leyland !!!'. Just goes to show , should have bought a Skoda .

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

This method does need the Skoda ones fitting first, however there is another company that does manufacture a long flap that uses the standard fitting. Try asking in your other thread for a link, perhaps.

This method does need the Skoda ones fitting first, however there is another company that does manufacture a long flap that uses the standard fitting. Try asking in your other thread for a link, perhaps.

ive just bought some from this company but they do take about 2 weeks to arrive. http://www.ukcarmats.co.uk/skoda-yeti-mud-flaps-splash-guards-long-1744.html

• 1 year later...