Cleaning the engine bay 1.9 vrs

I'm unsure if is topic has been covered before as I was unable to find it, if it exists.

I'm planning on cleaning my engine bay as the last owner did it and managed to do a pretty good job, wanting to continue the trend of keeping it well looked after I'm curious as to which components need to be protected from water damage, by covering them in shrink wrap. I'm no mechanical wiz so if anyone knows I would really appreciate some pictures of the components that need protecting as naming them won't really help, thanks

The car is a 1.9tdi vrs fabia un modified.

As above, just use a hose on a sprinkler setting. The pressure washer can force water into places you really don't want it to go. Some spray on degreaser and a soft bristle brush is what I use, let it soak for 5 or so mins then gently rinse off. Dry with a microfiber as much as you can then start the engine (obviously take off any Clingfilm that is over the alternator) and the heat from the engine once it's warm will speed up the drying process.

Do not use a pressure washer.

There's no problem using a pressure washer providing you don't go mad with it and flood the bay

Short directed blasts, after the area has been brushed with degreaser/APC, will do a good job

As already said certain electrical items need covering

I also keep the engine running and use an air blaster afterwards to help dry it

Finish with plastic protectorant or a dedicated engine protection product.

Job done

My mate did this to his 1.4 TDI and covered all electrics, each and every time he cleaned it up the car would not start up until dry.. the engine would just turn..

Since watching this I dare not do it to mine even though I would love too!

Thanks for the response guys, I've recently had my car terracleaned and a bit of diesel landed on my alternator so I wanted to get it off ASAP! I'll cover up these areas but could anyone circle the components that need to be covered using a picture and paint?

Pah,  I did mine last month after I managed to get brake fluid leaking from the reservoir when I didn't hook up the pressure bleeder correctly...

Sprayed TFR over the engine block and other greasy bits,  and then used my mate's commercial hot jet wash.    Obviously don't got jetting the alternator, and other electrical connectors - use bloody common sense,   but ottherwise there's a lot less to worry about because it's a diesel engine.

I use a pressure washer on mine from a distance,so it acts like a fine spray falling into the engine bay!

Muc-off is good for loosening dirt as well as mic-off bike spray for the plastics,makes em really shiny and it stays put for ages! ;-)