Is it me..........

......Or does the suspension and ride of the FL Superb leave a lot to be desired?

I've had mine a few weeks now and I find the back end is very fidgety and unsettled over small potholes and manhole covers, especially at lower speeds. It's almost as though the suspension cannot react to sudden changes in the road and the car body itself moves instead. Most odd!

It's also very unsettled when changing lanes on the motorway. The front wallows over larger undulations too, but this is common to both cars I've had.

I've even gone to the lengths of a 4 wheel alignment check - which came back mostly normal bar a little tracking tweak at the front. There isn't anything silly like shipping chocks fitted either, I checked that. Tyre pressures are all good too.

I've also noticed the ride height is lower than my 2010 pre FL superb, this suggests the springs (and possibly dampers) are different. Obviously this is for fuel efficiency purposes.

My 2010 Superb had Bilstein B6 dampers all round and they were excellent. I'm considering the same thing for my FL but can't decide between another set of B6s or Koni FSDs.

Furthermore, will the dropped ride height affect my damper selection? I know the B6s can tolerate a drop of around 40mm but the FSDs?

Not experienced any of your symptoms, mine seems bolted to the road and mid corner bumps do not really unsettle it.

I moved to Superb from Citroen C5 with Citroen floaty suspension and whilst initially the Superb ride felt harder it was a lot better behaved in corners. 

Only time car seems to wonder on motorways is when there is a BIG cross wind other than that no issues.

I have the 18" wheels with std Conti Contact 2 tyres at standard pressures as shown in fuel filler flap. 

Have the transit bolts been removed by the dealer? There was a thread in one of the forums on here recently about this happening

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

I would be worried if that wasn't picked up during the wheel alignment. I assume you mean blocks rather than bolts, they are rather obvious.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I find the ride much better on the FL compared to the pre FL, a little firmer maybe but an improvement if anything.  I did go from 17 on the pre FL to 18" wheels now so that probably firms it up a bit and improves cornering.  Your issue sounds odd and definitely requires further investigation.  You're not driving a greenline model by any chance?

It's a standard CR170 elegance on 18" Trinity alloys. Side by side with my 2010 car (which my brother now owns), the FL sits noticeably lower. The B6 dampers did t change the ride height or anything silly like that.

When the car was up on the ramp I had a good look around and couldn't see anything obviously wrong. The suspension drops down under its own weight when the car is jacked up etc. I'm sure I'd have noticed the blocks if they were still there.

I honestly can't fathom it out. There's definitely something amiss. It's probably some ghastly misbuild or something.

It's seriously spoiling the enjoyment of a new car and I'd guarantee the dealership would dismiss it quickly as 'no fault found'.

• Like 1

Two months old and although I find the ride harsh certainly not experiencing anything like you have described. I love the way it takes corners a lot better than my old superb and not as 'wallowy' had I call last night from Skoda UK asking how I was liking my new car. Won't bore you with all the conversation but advised buying a soft seat cushion to improve the ride, what is that all about. Did confirm though that I could put 45 profile tyres to improve the ride.

I would not be happy with what you are experiencing go back to the dealer and take a test drive with one of their guys in it and ask them to explain why it is misbehaving

Here's a question or two.......

With regards to the suspension shipping blocks:

Do they block both front and rear suspension?

Do they block the spring itself and/or the damper?

I've had a dig around some forums and found some other VW group cars with black and/or orange spring blocks. I've also found instances of Mk.7 Golfs with plastic 'pucks' around the damper pistons, obviously it would be nice to know the Skoda specific method so I know exactly what to look for as my last effort was a cursory glance.

I'll jack the car up tomorrow and have another good look around the suspension before harassing my local dealer.

Yes I recall seeing that thread (vaguely, night work SUCKS).

I'll have a dig around inside the plastic guards on the rear dampers for any suspicious objects (other than the bump stops of course) at work tomorrow night.

Have to agree with the op. 2014 L&K is nowhere as nice to drive as my 2009 elegance. Both are 170 hp but the new car is DSG. The car is not as good or comfortable on the road. When the weather gets a little better il swap the wheels over and see what it's like on 17's. But so far am disappointed

Have to agree with the op. 2014 L&K is nowhere as nice to drive as my 2009 elegance. Both are 170 hp but the new car is DSG. The car is not as good or comfortable on the road. When the weather gets a little better il swap the wheels over and see what it's like on 17's. But so far am disappointed

Interesting! If I'm really honest the comfort is a little compromised alright but I feel it's getting a bit better with more kms or maybe that's just me getting used to it. We both probably drive similar enough roads and I don't think the 40 profile was designed for this country. Its really the 18s that are causing that but the handling is sharper than my old 11 model. You're in an ideal position to compare though with the two models. I'll consider a 45 profile maybe on the tyres next time. My biggest issue is the hum that kicks in (presumably from the tyres) when over 100 kph, do you notice that? Where do you feel it falls down versus your 09, is it the hard ride or have you other issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!

I run mine at 17" original wheels with 225/45 Pirellis and I don't recognize any of the problems described, not at all.

The only thing I feel is that it is a heavy car and they haven't really managed to fight the rules of gravity, the car doesn't turn in very fast in corners and it feels like a big ... barge with a lot of body roll if you try cornering at too high speed. And there is absolutely no positive reward if you try sporty driving at smaller country roads either ... This is, to me, not that kind of car and I no longer try to drive it faster than it likes. My wife say that I drive like an old man now. :giggle:

Take care!

Have the transit bolts been removed by the dealer? There was a thread in one of the forums on here recently about this happening

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Transit-Block's hadn't been removed from mine... until noticed at 1st service!! - Made, 100%, no difference what so ever! 

Al. 

Right lads

I drove to Dublin at a brisk pace the other evening on motorway and am in Waterford at the moment having hurdled along back roads to get here. Both journys in 09 man elegance. The difference is black and white. The l.k is streets behind it and would be on its roof if I tried to drive it like the 09. I asked mrs kilkenny for her preference and she plcked the l.k but only for the comfort of the dsg but on road.comfort went to the elegance.

BTW women are ALWAYS right.

I wouldn't have said it was that black and white, sounds like yours is very harsh on the road.  That's not good, it will be interesting to hear what you think when you put 17s under it.  I take it you recommend the DSG so?  Did you buy yours in Waterford BTW?

No didn't buy there, fools for salesmen there. They serviced my 09 car so will keep going there. Pity cos I like Martin.

But yes I would recommend the DSG. No work involved. Where would I check for the transit blocks in the suspension to make sure they have been removed.

With regard to back road quick driving the difference is quite stark.

Edited by Kilkenny

No didn't buy there, fools for salesmen there. They serviced my 09 car so will keep going there. Pity cos I like Martin.

But yes I would recommend the DSG. No work involved. Where would I check for the transit blocks in the suspension to make sure they have been removed.

With regard to back road quick driving the difference is quite stark.

Like most dealers it's always best to deal direct with the owner if possible, that's what I try to do anyway. I've being dealing with Barretts for years and after buying six cars there I can't fault them especially for service, always been well looked after!

Regarding the blocks AFAIK you will find them wrapped around the outside of the springs, they are (probably)black with grooves for each part of the cool to slot into. It's just to prevent excess movement in transit but if they are still in place I'd be having serious words with the dealer. I'm on a lot of back roads myself and it's definitely not anything as bad you described and considering the cars are essentially the same something doesn't sound right.

Let us know how you get on

The plot thickens.......

I drove home tonight with the boot fully loaded - and I mean 200-250kg fully loaded - and the car actually felt quite nice over the troublesome potholes and manhole covers of my normal route home.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put this down to a crap (IMO) setup on the rear of my car. I checked the springs and dampers - nothing abnormal at all. I had a general mooch around and visually checked stuff like the ARBs etc, it all looks normal under there.

I'm now thinking of changing the dampers for Koni FSDs or Bilstein B6s, the latter were the ones I had fitted on my 2010 Superb and they were great.

Like most dealers it's always best to deal direct with the owner if possible, that's what I try to do anyway. I've being dealing with Barretts for years and after buying six cars there I can't fault them especially for service, always been well looked after!

Regarding the blocks AFAIK you will find them wrapped around the outside of the springs, they are (probably)black with grooves for each part of the cool to slot into. It's just to prevent excess movement in transit but if they are still in place I'd be having serious words with the dealer. I'm on a lot of back roads myself and it's definitely not anything as bad you described and considering the cars are essentially the same something doesn't sound right.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers for that 170.

Yep Martin is a gent,but he would be better on his own there and get rid of Stan & Olly. Stephen is gone from there and he was a very good asset to the place.

With regard to the blocks,they weren't there so that's a good and bad thing. I asked Mrs Kilkenny what she wants to do but she likes the look of the 18's so she wants to keep them.

seems a bit pointless comparing stock dampers with the previous B6 ones fitted on your old car, as the B6s are mono-tube high performance dampers and bound to feel more stable during high speed lane changes on the motorway.  Just get another set of B6s and problem solved ;-)

I agree with what you say to a point but I do remember how my 2010 Superb handled on the original setup as I didn't fit the B6s until around 80,000 miles when the rear OE dampers started to leak. Not a surprise considering the amount of weight the car used to haul on a daily basis.

That aside, I'm going ahead with another set of B6 dampers all round as they are really good bits of kit. I thought about Koni FSDs but I've heard mixed opinions regarding longevity etc.

I notice my FL rides about 20mm lower than my pre FL but I can't see this being a problem as I recall B6s can easily handle a drop of ~30mm against normal factory ride height without any bottoming out type issues.

Best price so far is £519.00 delivered.