Is it me..........

Hi, I have exactly the same issue as you with my 2010 170CR elegance estate. It feels "not quite planted" when driving over any kind of bumpy surface, especially pot holes. There is an definite skip out of the back, same as you describe when changing lanes at speed on motorway...

I am very interested to see how you get on with the new dampers, my current idea is lowering the suspension by 20-30mm but I'm open to changing the dampers instead/as well tbh.

I think it really does matter what you are used to, i came from a long term Octy VRS so I think I am just used to it being harder and more reactive.

Please post back

Hi, I have exactly the same issue as you with my 2010 170CR elegance estate. It feels "not quite planted" when driving over any kind of bumpy surface, especially pot holes. There is an definite skip out of the back, same as you describe when changing lanes at speed on motorway...

I am very interested to see how you get on with the new dampers, my current idea is lowering the suspension by 20-30mm but I'm open to changing the dampers instead/as well tbh.

I think it really does matter what you are used to, i came from a long term Octy VRS so I think I am just used to it being harder and more reactive.

Please post back

I had a 2010 CR170 estate and fitted B6 dampers all round. Made the car so much more planted than with the OE dampers.

I'll admit the ride of my 2010 was tolerable on the original dampers but I've found it to be unacceptable on my FL Superb.

As I mentioned before, I fitted the Bilstein B6 dampers at around 80k but I'll be changing them much sooner this time round.

I never changed the springs, ARBs or bushes etc, just the dampers. The car was great up to 106,000 miles when I changed it.

Surely the suspension hasn't changed from the pre-FL to FL?

The FL appears* to sit ~20mm lower than the pre-FL. Probably contributes to the reduced CO2 output. The springs must be different but not sure about the dampers, the rears are 1K0 512 011 TT

*side by side comparison of my FL car next to my 2010 pre-FL - both CR 170 Elegance Combis.

The FL appears* to sit ~20mm lower than the pre-FL. Probably contributes to the reduced CO2 output. The springs must be different but not sure about the dampers, the rears are 1K0 512 011 TT

*side by side comparison of my FL car next to my 2010 pre-FL - both CR 170 Elegance Combis.

Complete opposite to me. The f/l is prob 20 mm higher than the pre f/l. Both are 2.0 170's. Only difference is the f/l has 18 inch wheels.

Mine also sits slighter higher than my last 170. even with the 18s there is still a little clearance I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your old car was on 225/45/17 and the new on on 225/40/18 the difference in height of the car is approx 1.5mm, no real difference..

AFAIK there are at least 6 different springs available on a Superb, Skoda must have decided to increase the ride height for some reason.

If your old car was on 225/45/17 and the new on on 225/40/18 the difference in height of the car is approx 1.5mm, no real difference..

AFAIK there are at least 6 different springs available on a Superb, Skoda must have decided to increase the ride height for some reason.

Yeah its definitely sitting higher than the extra few mm that the larger wheels would give it.  I would say roughly around 10-15mm judging by eye

Mine's looking like some sort of horrid misbuild  :wonder:  Greenline springs perhaps? 

No wonder it rides like **** on 18" wheels as the thicker 16" tyres will no doubt iron out a lot of the chop. 

I assumed they'd lowered ALL FL cars as part of a package to improve the CO2 and MPG figures. 

But.... once the B6s are fitted I'll have a factory lowered car with decent dampers. Every cloud and all that........

Take it up with Skoda UK....?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

The thought has crossed my mind but I'm sort of pulling the rug out from beneath myself by changing all 4 dampers.

Besides. I do like the car being slightly lowered.

I assumed they'd lowered ALL FL cars as part of a package to improve the CO2 and MPG figures. 

Standard clearance is 141 mm and 140 mm for 3.6 engine. No major change from pre-FL version (142 mm).

Optional Sport suspension 124 mm

Greenline 126 mm

Bad roads package 158 mm

• Like 1

Standard clearance is 141 mm and 140 mm for 3.6 engine. No major change from pre-FL version (142 mm).

Optional Sport suspension 124 mm

Greenline 126 mm

Bad roads package 158 mm

Where are the measurements obtained? Bottom of the door sills near the jacking points?

Where are the measurements obtained? Bottom of the door sills near the jacking points?

Good question. According to wiki:

Ride height (also called ground clearance or simply clearance) is the amount of space between the base of an automobile tire and the underside of the chassis; or, more properly, to the shortest distance between a flat, level surface, and any part of a vehicle other than those parts designed to contact the ground (such as tires, tracks, skis, etc.). Ground clearance is measured with standard vehicle equipment, and for cars, is usually given with no cargo or passengers.

Good question. According to wiki:

Ride height (also called ground clearance or simply clearance) is the amount of space between the base of an automobile tire and the underside of the chassis; or, more properly, to the shortest distance between a flat, level surface, and any part of a vehicle other than those parts designed to contact the ground (such as tires, tracks, skis, etc.). Ground clearance is measured with standard vehicle equipment, and for cars, is usually given with no cargo or passengers.

Thanks.

Basically the lowest fixed point of the chassis then. I'll have a measure when the car is on some flat, level concrete or similar.

• 1 month later...

Have to agree with the op. 2014 L&K is nowhere as nice to drive as my 2009 elegance. Both are 170 hp but the new car is DSG. The car is not as good or comfortable on the road. When the weather gets a little better il swap the wheels over and see what it's like on 17's. But so far am disappointed

It's also very unsettled when changing lanes on the motorway. The front wallows over larger undulations too, but this is common to both cars I've had.

Sorry for resurrecting a slighter older thread but this wasn't such an issue a while back but as the miles have gone up the handling has taken a turn for the worst.  Like Kilkenny and dstev2000 have pointed out I am now finding the ride very unsettled and all over place on the all sorts of roads.  I actually felt sea sick on my commute home this evening.  Something isn't right - pulling like crazy to the left despite several visits to have tracking and balancing done.  If I take my hands off the wheel momentarily it will literally switch lanes by itself.

Also when holding the wheel firmly I can feel some sort of play in the front wheels.  Its very twitchy with over and under steer.  There is no damage to tyres or wheels and I'm running 2.1bar as recommended.  Its going for it first service this week so will see.  Maybe its just me being conscious of the 18" wheels but something doesn't feel right!

Something isn't right - pulling like crazy to the left despite several visits to have tracking and balancing done.  If I take my hands off the wheel momentarily it will literally switch lanes by itself.

Also when holding the wheel firmly I can feel some sort of play in the front wheels.  Its very twitchy with over and under steer.  There is no damage to tyres or wheels and I'm running 2.1bar as recommended.  Its going for it first service this week so will see.  Maybe its just me being conscious of the 18" wheels but something doesn't feel right!

Try to put pressure to 2.6-2.8 bar and see how it feels then. People sometimes underestimate influence of tire pressure, especially for low profile tires. 

Secondly - if car pulls strongly to one side - and the tires are ok (same pressure, same level of wear) then it is something wrong with suspension and it has to be checked by the dealer. As I understand you have done suspension alignment and that did not helped? Then some suspension components might be faulty or damaged. 

Btw - with wide tires sometimes can can be pulled to one or another side when driving on uneven road surfaces. But if car is always pulling to one side on even surface, then it is something wrong. 

Sorry to hear about your woes with the car. This is frustrating when you think how much we spent on the effin things. I had my caravan on both the cars on Monday and I can confirm that the L&K is considerably higher than the per fl car. Are you returning to Barrett's all the time ?

Sorry to hear about your woes with the car. This is frustrating when you think how much we spent on the effin things. I had my caravan on both the cars on Monday and I can confirm that the L&K is considerably higher than the per fl car. Are you returning to Barrett's all the time ?

Yeah that's the frustrating thing when you think of the c€40K price tag!  I'm still dealing with Barrett's but haven't really been back with this problem so we'll see on Friday what they say.  I couldn't fault the service before but now that their best technician has left I hope the service end hasn't suffered too much!  What do you think of Ryans, are you getting decent service there?

Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much now but I was some back roads today and I thought I was going to end up in a field at one stage, with the amount of twitching and jerkiness from the front end.  Its like the wheels are doing their own thing sometimes.

Has your handling improved at all?  Did you have any adjustments made at the last service?

Hi 170,

Mine still the same,it's not twitchy as yours is it just won't handle well. Very disappointed with it.. Ryan's say nothing wrong. I haven't much faith there and even less in Barrett's (unfortunately). Place not the same since Stephnn left. I am very seriously considering taking the car to where Stephen is to have further servicing done.

Hi 170,

Mine still the same,it's not twitchy as yours is it just won't handle well. Very disappointed with it.. Ryan's say nothing wrong. I haven't much faith there and even less in Barrett's (unfortunately). Place not the same since Stephnn left. I am very seriously considering taking the car to where Stephen is to have further servicing done.

Funny I was thinking the same thing myself actually, a bit of a trek but might be worth a trip up there!

Funny I was thinking the same thing myself actually, a bit of a trek but might be worth a trip up there!

had a little mishap little while ago and went up to him brill service. Will defo be back

had a little mishap little while ago and went up to him brill service. Will defo be back

That's good to know!  Well I was in today for the service.  They drove the car and admitted that there was a pull to the left and a hum from the front end when doing over 100kph.  They did he usual checks and made a few adjustments.  They then rotated the tyres and switched left to right etc and I think that has made a difference now.  I am guessing the conti low profiles are a contributing factor and can't wait to put 45 profiles on at the next change.  I know 45s are fitted to the A6s so why can't they put them on a Superb?  There is still a slight pull to the left but I've driven two other Skodas recently and I noticed the same.  I have heard others on here saying the same thing.

I also enquired about the suspension set up and if it was different on the FL or if there was anything different on the FL as I suspect the springs differ.  They weren't aware of it (or just didn't know).

Still it was nice to walk away not having to pay for a service for once!  When I was doing the deal last year I tried to get the free servicing with the longer service intervals but obviously they weren't going to do that, it was worth a try though :)