Boot Torch ..

Oh yes, it's all go here.  I'll do it whilst Corrie's on or something.

The mirror is actually pretty resilient, as it is glass stuck onto a heat pad, stuck onto plastic trim with metal clips that engage into the mirror adjustment motor.  I first came across it when the mirror glass on my B6 Passat was merrily wobbling away whilst on holiday, when I had nothing to lose in pulling it out.  £15 on ebay and one day later I had a replacement in my hands ready to fit.

Subject to fading light, I will take pics and stick a "how to" onto this thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/233709-how-to-replace-puddle-light-bulbs/?hl=%2Bpuddle#entry3156946

Rob - just checked mine and mine goes out when the boot is closed.

Could there be an issue with the boot catch? Is there a switch within it?

The cat's amongst the pigeons now .. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks very much for that Coops.

Oh yes, it's all go here.  I'll do it whilst Corrie's on or something.

The mirror is actually pretty resilient, as it is glass stuck onto a heat pad, stuck onto plastic trim with metal clips that engage into the mirror adjustment motor.  I first came across it when the mirror glass on my B6 Passat was merrily wobbling away whilst on holiday, when I had nothing to lose in pulling it out.  £15 on ebay and one day later I had a replacement in my hands ready to fit.

Subject to fading light, I will take pics and stick a "how to" onto this thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/233709-how-to-replace-puddle-light-bulbs/?hl=%2Bpuddle#entry3156946

Thanks Jake, looking forward to seeing your "How to" guide, it'll be very helpful to a lot of us on here.

Cheers,

Rob

On mine, the on/off button on the torch seems to have three settings, full brightness, half brightness and off. If you're still stuck it might be worth cycling through those options and seeing if it makes a difference.

Also, an obvious thing, but when putting the torch back into place, the torch LEDs needs to be pointing towards the front of the car with the three charging contacts pointing towards the rear of the car.

Thanks for that ... Just tried that there now ... Torch definitely in correctly. aAlso tried cycling through the the positions and still it stays on (just one small filament  bulb lit) ...

Puddle light write-up now live. Took me longer to get the pictures on through tapatalk, than it took to change the bulbs.

Where's that posted Jake?

I cant believe how many posts since I asked if you had fitted led's!

There is a possible link, In each of the w5w bulb holders there is a diode (1n4007 from memory but search my posts) and if you accidentally put a short on the holder this diode will fail. 

In my case I had shorted one in the tailgate holder.

The result - glowing led torch  (and I think this was the title of the thread)

It is feasible that any holder on that circuit would cause the problem.

Detach each lamp holder, remove bulb and cable. remove metal reflector and meter across the diode (black thing) you should get a reading (value unimportant) one way but swapping your red and black meter leads over should give no reading.

If you get a reading both ways or neither ways then replace the diode (soldering required).

Thanks Superbdreams,

Yes I can't believe the reaction either ... Great support from the forum. How did you short  your tailgate diode? Electronics are not my speciality ..!

Cheers,

Rob

Just another question, would these sort of electrical issues show up on a main dealer fault scan? My thinking is to take advantage of Skoda's free health check anyway, but I'd point them towards looking for this in particular ...

Rob

I added a 1m strip of led lights above the torch, the power had to come from the rear door lights as the torch connections were too small.

Trying to get a w5w LED into the holder with a screwdriver, I shorted the contacts.

I doubt it would show on a scan as these bulbs may not be monitored (though the fact that led's pulse means the canbus is controlling them.

I can’t say i have ever noticed mine glowing... and I have had LED’s fitted to the rest of the interior lights for 3 years now without issue.

I just wish they would include more hooks in the boot area for shopping bags etc. 

How many do you need? there are already 6 in the combi ! 

I added a 1m strip of led lights above the torch, the power had to come from the rear door lights as the torch connections were too small.

Trying to get a w5w LED into the holder with a screwdriver, I shorted the contacts.

I doubt it would show on a scan as these bulbs may not be monitored (though the fact that led's pulse means the canbus is controlling them.

Thanks for that ... Just getting back to you now, I've been away working. I'll keep a close eye on this and try to get to the bottom of it. I honestly don't think I shorted anything when fitting the LED's ...

I'll post anything relevant...

Thanks,

Rob

Out of interest I also had to replace the batteries in my torch, though I don't think the two things are linked it may still be worth checking them?

Didn't think of that actually, worth a look ..

Thanks a mill,

Rob