Auto lights, speed and turning them off again...

Morning all,

I know it's a standard feature to have the auto lights turn on when you get up to a certain speed...But why do they then stay on after that?

Is there a way to set it so that they turn off when you return to more mundane speeds?

I don't want to turn the option off entirely as I can very much see the benefit of being more visible when travelling at such a rate.

Taa.

Its in the manual - if you drive below a certain speed for a period of time they switch off. 

i cant' remember the specifics but i also found that if they'd come on due to speed they'd end up being on for the whole of the trip which i didn't like.

i had the feature disabled via vcds  - IMO if you're going quick you're just as visible in a vrs with it's bright DRLs anyway so you don't really need full headlights, and having your xenons on can be interpreted by other road uses as agressive which isn't helpful.

• Like 1

I don't have xenons :-(

My commute to work is around 25-30 mins with the quick section of road being in the first 10 mins...The remaining 15 mins are usually sub 50 if not lower due to traffic but they still won't have turned off my the time I get to work.

Looks like I need to find someone local who's handy with the old VCDS then...

Thanks for the info by the way!

Edited by Structures

Mine in the Superb are similar and appear to have a mind of their own - from the Superb manual, which I suspect is the same detail as the Octavia:

Motorway lights

If the automatic light control has been switched on and the vehicle speed is over 140 km/h for at least 10 seconds, the side lights and low beam are switched on automatically.

If the vehicle speed is below 65 km/h for at least 2 minutes, the lights are switched off.

All of this can of course conflict with the light sensor too.

• Like 1