Routine service

I have had a couple of letters from my agent telling me that my routine service is overdue.  Not according to my car's read out, which says that a service is not due for another 3000 miles.

I sent them an email pointing this out but their reply insisted their records showed a service was due, as they would if they were based on the time since my last service.

Does my read out base its warning on elapsed time, or there a more sophisticated calculation, like oil usage or condition, for instance?

I don't suppose it matters a damn but I am curious.

Billhum 

The read out on the MFD bases it on both time lapsed and mileage left e.g. service due in 3,000 miles or 60 days.  Maybe they somehow entered the incorrect mileage on their system when you had it last serviced there, although I'd imagine their readout should be downloaded from the car's computer.  Was the last service more than 12 months ago?

What does it say in the service book? They should have filled that in with either a mileage and date or as my last service shows variable for mileage and August 15 as a date since it was last serviced last August.

Funnily enough I have just had a letter, post card and an email pointing out I may have missed a service. When I received a further phone call offering a wheel check for £25 because of potholes I asked them to stop pestering as their records are wrong! My display was showing 2500 miles to service or 501 days!

It looks like they may have records that show you on fixed rather than variable.

Regards,

Kevin.

My last comment was based on fixed which is what I use now. Now that I think of it I do remember switching between fixed and variable servicing on a car a few years back and the garage became very confused with the intervals. Regardless of this of course check the quality and quantity of your oil which can be the best indicator of all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a postcard yesterday from Skoda dealer who services my Superb saying my brake fluid needs changed every two years and is now due......the car is there years old, on variable servicing, was serviced by them in February, and MOTd by them last month....and it is a lease car going back to leasing company week after next...go figure.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Ignore the dealer they are out to make money, they are a business after all.

Whether you are on fixed or variable doesn't matter, the car will tell you when it wants fresh oil.

I had this issue with the dealer and my current Seat Exeo.. They kept emailing, writing and calling to tell me my car was due it's service at 10000 miles... I said "No, my car is on "long life" servicing"... There reply.. "No, no Exeo in the UK is on that they are all on fixed 10000" miles.... Errrr... well mine's not!! even has the code on the sticker for longlife...

That is why I don't use them anymore... just shows how much they know about Seats.... 

Also, they told me my Ibiza used 10/40 oil when it actually uses the 5/30 longlife... again on longlife service.. 

Stu