Are people actually paying for these dogs?!

Beard

I've been looking for a fab vRS for god knows how long now (since 2013) I thought I'd finally found the one about 6 weeks ago, but the turbo decided to blow the day after I bought it and they couldn't put it right within the 4 weeks they tried, so I got my money back. 

In this time I've probably viewed around 12+? examples in the flesh, averaging from 80k to 100k miles. The vast majority of what I've looked at have been overpriced and total dogs. Massive scratches, dints, scrapes, gouges in places you wouldn't even imagine possible, bits missing, massive gaps in service history, bald tyres, butchered dashes/headunits. Rips & tears in the seats. Paddling pools in the foot wells and spare wheel well. You name it.

Yesterday was the best though. Went to look at one local to me up for sale. It was standard model, in silver on I believe an 06, and it was in a right state.

It looked like somebody had put the metal seatbelt clip in the doors and repeatedly slammed them shut. The manuals (or lack of) and Skoda wallet looked like they had been used daily since 2006 by a mechanic for several hours per day, then left in a puddle of mud overnight. The front end somehow had a huge gouge on the top of the number plate surround that ran down through the plate itself. There was some kind of what looked like clear silicone between the windscreen and dash. There was no service history at all, the floors were sopping and the spare wheel well had about 3" of water in it and a load of rotting food, with a pack of bubblicious for desert.. How much did he want for it? £5,500. I obviously wasn't going to buy it, but I bartered on the price just for my own curiosity, only to be told the same thing that I have by many others. "It is what it is mate. It will sell at this price because these are popular cars and sought after, so I won't do much on price" I left it there, as I didn't really want to put much effort in, but honestly, I think they are telling the truth, because these things are actually selling! 

I'm going to look at 56 plate in black today, which will probably just be more of the same. 

Ahhhh, feels nice to get that out lol. 

• Like 1

To some people a car will just be used to get them from A to B. They don't care about the cosmetics inside or out. If they scrape the bumper or it has leaking door seals. I bought the First VRS i viewed and never looked back. I've replaced console bushes and the battery (original), in the 2 years of ownership.

Sounds like you are surrounded by Skoda owners that simply don't care for their vehicle.

Keep looking, you'll find the right one. 

I tend to phone them and ask about history/condition before bothering, if they know nothing about the car it's usually a Micky Mouse trader pretending they aren't. If it's a genuine seller then they will be able to tell you what's been done and when and have a honest description of the condition. Saves a lot of wasted time for everyone.

Edited by Avalon
  • Like 1

Took me months to find mine and as you said there are so many overpriced dogs out there it's unreal. Just keep looking you'll find one. After months of searching I found a 1 owner with full history at sensible money, they are out there so be patient

To be honest I think I paid slightly over the odds for mine from available car last year. It was however the best condition of the few I had viewed with full skoda service history and very clean inside and out.

Saying that, I'm glad I took an extended warranty as the turbo failed after 4 months of me owning it resulting in new turbo and intercooler (there was about £1500 of work in total on a warranty that had cost me £700 for three years).

I absolutely love the car though. Drives great and really do feel quite attached to it lol.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

• Like 1

£5500!?!!! Jesus christ!

I'm selling mine soon once it's back to standard, and I didn't think I'd get anywhere near that. I thought they were going for around £3.5k tops for an average mileage good condition non-SE??! That figure just sounds ludicrous!

Guest BigJase88

Unfortunately thats what happens

I helped my mate buy a minter a year ago.

You do not even want to know the condition of it right now. Its an absolute scrapper as it stands.

Alloys havent been cleaned in a year, corroding / curbed to fluff

Massive cigarette burn in front drivers seat

Undertray hanging off

Some other dents and bashes on the roof? God knows how that happened

Leaking steering rack that he tops up instead of replaces

Tbh its beyond a joke

That said though I would happily pay decent money for a good condition minter. IMO you can't beat that bit of reassurance knowing that someone has religiously maintained a car and looked after it.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Agreed - if it is a minter pay top dollar for it, or someone else will.

They are getting harder to find though, well mint ones are.

I looked and phoned around at about four before settling on my SE.

There are some right sheds out there, I know when I test drove a few examples the condition of them and the price the seller was expecting was laughable. Yes they are more sought after than the bog standard Fabia but there are plenty to choose from as well. I know people get attached to their cars but a bit of realism wouldn't go a miss when pricing them lol.

I also found that a lower mileage one wasn't necessarily better than a higher mileage one either!

Guess I got lucky when buying mine, I originally was looking at Clio 197's and on the way back from seeing a crap example of one I called into my local Skoda dealer and they had my car, 65k on the clock 55 plate I paid 5,500 for mine yes I probably paid a bit to much, but they wasn't a dent in it and the interior didn't have a mark on it, haven't looked back since, I absolutely my car

Keep looking there is excellent examples out there just becoming rare and harder to find

Guess I got lucky when buying mine, I originally was looking at Clio 197's and on the way back from seeing a crap example of one I called into my local Skoda dealer and they had my car, 65k on the clock 55 plate I paid 5,500 for mine yes I probably paid a bit to much, but they wasn't a dent in it and the interior didn't have a mark on it, haven't looked back since, I absolutely my car

Keep looking there is excellent examples out there just becoming rare and harder to find

I've been looking at 197's too. The running costs and the gearbox issues put me off it in the end though

Managed to pick up an 07 fabia in black with 80k on it today at a decent price. It stinks of dog and needs new console bushes, and possibly a battery. Aside from that It's not bad at all, just needs a good wash. 

Here's to hoping I have more luck with this one than the last! 

I've been looking at 197's too. The running costs and the gearbox issues put me off it in the end though

Managed to pick up an 07 fabia in black with 80k on it today at a decent price. It stinks of dog and needs new console bushes, and possibly a battery. Aside from that It's not bad at all, just needs a good wash. 

Glad you found one. What's the spec and what did you pay?

Opposite of my experience then, the 197 stank of dogs and was covered in dog hairs, I was put of instantly, then took it for a test drive and just hated the way it drove:')

Love my vrs though given a few people a surprise in it!

I went to see a silver 06 plate in Gloucester. Stojanovs car sales,I bought a clio diesel from them several years ago which was mint!

The Fabia was a mess though,bodywork looked like they used it for paint balling! ;-(

I visited my Dealer today ( Horton Lincoln.)

They had a lovely looking 07 plate VRS, in metallic blue ,with 4 new toyo proxes on it.

Looked completely unmolested ,82,000 miles ,2 owners,full service history,Skoda approved,etc.

Screen price £6990 if anyones interested?

£7k for a 7 yr old car, must be mad. Even if it is an SE, by sounds of it.

I'd be expecting them to shod some bloody premium tyres for that price, not midrange Toyos !!!

But the person wanting to spend that much will be an idiot anyway :rofl:

To be fair, i've seen more Fabia's in good condition then many other cars, usually the ones located in the middle of nowhere and have only ever been used for the occasional trip into town every now and then and a long slow motorway rub, seats as good as new, maybe a couple of stone chips but no dents, scratches or scuffs like you would find on a vehicle used daily in the city.

Edited by Harry1212

Glad you found one. What's the spec and what did you pay?

Basic spec. It was up for £5k, but part ex'd my stop gap car that really had to go and gave him some cash to make it roughly £4k (if the value of my part ex is to be believed lol,  :mmm:

I'm really happy with it. Can't wait to molest it with some wax on wax off action this weekend. Also need to replace the insert on the top of the gear knob as it's too worn for my liking. 

I visited my Dealer today ( Horton Lincoln.)

They had a lovely looking 07 plate VRS, in metallic blue ,with 4 new toyo proxes on it.

Looked completely unmolested ,82,000 miles ,2 owners,full service history,Skoda approved,etc.

Screen price £6990 if anyones interested?

It will most definitely be a vRS SE - I picked mine up last week with near enough exactly the same details as the one you quoted - FSH, 80k mileage, two owners, cam belt + waterpump at 63k, front springs last year, 10months MOT, Toyo Proxes all around, a very clean motor all around, privately sold for £5200

Granted I have no 'fall back' should it blow up, but I am confident with the service history and belt changes that that shouldn't happen.

I suppose generally dealers chuck another £1k on top but it still seems high considering it is a 7 year old car with 80k on the clock, limited edition or not.

JRJG