Coolant :(

Recently my temp light been flashing just thought it was faulty temp sensor but this morning opened the coolant bottle an it was pressurised the car had been stood science last night is this pointing towards hg failure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont know if this will help you but heres my story, my coolant system on my octavia vrs pd170 2008 was pressurising at high speed and losing coolant from tank. I had water pump changed to no avail. Went for the hg change but after pressure testing the head it was confirmed the head was cracked in 3 different places. So to cut the story short ive just had the engine changed along with clutch and single mass flywheel at the same time as its a taxi.

No it never overheated just getting pressurised so was just going to replace hg and do cambelt and water pump at same time and has only been losing a small amount of coolant

Sorry to hijack this thread but I didn't wanna start a new one as experiencing something coolant related!

If I check my car cold, there is no pressure in the system but it reads below the minimum line.

When I get the car to temperature and check it's in the middle of Minimum and Maximum.

Car stays in the middle of the temp gauge and doesn't over heat nor do I get the light on for coolant.

Is this normal and should I top up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hijack this thread but I didn't wanna start a new one as experiencing something coolant related!

If I check my car cold, there is no pressure in the system but it reads below the minimum line.

When I get the car to temperature and check it's in the middle of Minimum and Maximum.

Car stays in the middle of the temp gauge and doesn't over heat nor do I get the light on for coolant.

Is this normal and should I top up?

Just top the coolant up to the correct level. Obviously not low enough to throw the light on. 

I'm having similar issues - i keep getting the temp light. Keep topping up with coolant but it keeps dropping to just below the min line. The light comes on after a little while when there is enough coolant, presumably the sensor is knackered? Also the engine light is coming on intermittently, i don't know if it's related? I've not had it properly looked at yet, should i start with replacing the coolant bottle? I should mention that it runs fine, no funny noises etc.

also, sorry for hijacking as well!

Edited by samj2013

Thanks Robbie, is it G13 that I need?

For the amount you are going to top up which is a small amount just top up with water. If it was more i would have used coolant. 

Does the head need to be skimmed when I replace hg

When going for hg job you have to get the head pressure tested and skimmed. Pressure testing will reveal if the heads in good nick or cracked.

I would suggest getting to bottom of this asap as it could lead to bigger problems if left any longer. I made the mistake of driving around for six months by regularly topping up coolant, it was probably just hug initially but problem worsened to cracked head.

Bottom rad hose connection is a common place to lose small amounts of coolant.

ref pressure, the coolant system is a pressurised system, hence the warning about not opening the cap when the engine is hot ;)

If you squeeze the top coolant hose by hand it you should be able to just squeeze it in slightly when the engine is up to normal temp, if the hose is rock solid and can't be squeezed at all its over pressurised and you have problems.

When going for hg job you have to get the head pressure tested and skimmed. Pressure testing will reveal if the heads in good nick or cracked.

get the head checked, but does not need skimming as a matter of course.only if needed.

Bottom rad hose connection is a common place to lose small amounts of coolant.

ref pressure, the coolant system is a pressurised system, hence the warning about not opening the cap when the engine is hot ;)

If you squeeze the top coolant hose by hand it you should be able to just squeeze it in slightly when the engine is up to normal temp, if the hose is rock solid and can't be squeezed at all its over pressurised and you have problems.

get the head checked, but does not need skimming as a matter of course.only if needed.

This morning drove 25 mile to work left the car stood for 1hr took coolant cap off an there was only a little bit of pressure in there then in seen this post so later on after driving when car was upto temp I tried squeezing the coolant hose an I could. This is really starting to anoy me :#

Not as such going to take it to garage on weekend get pressure tested an also get the garage to emission test the coolant see if there is any exhaust gasses in there