How Many People Tow With The Yeti, Any Tips

gumdrop

I got rid of my Eriba Troll and now have a Bailey Orion,

I know other people tow with the Yeti in some of its guises

but can we get together with any hints or tips on what this

amazing car can do, any discoveries worth passing on?

The obvious one is you need the spare wheel option,

you cannot tow on, sealant, sealed tyres, or skinny tyres.

It must be a full sized tyre at the correct pressure.

You will be pleased to know the spare is infact a full size tyre, but on a smaller steel rim. The sticky label says 80kph. I asked Skoda UK about this as it should not be speed restricted, and the answer was the speed is advisory only.

Colin

I have never towed a caravan, but some months ago my local council got their n the mud in the local park, and Ivor made easy work of towing them out :)

post-57830-0-66006300-1397410589_thumb.jpg

post-57830-0-11245400-1397410623_thumb.jpg

I also have a spare

In that case do you carry a spare wheel for your trailer too?
The risk of a flat applies to both unless the stud pattern is the same.

I also have a spare for the caravan. This is located under the back of the van. From memory, my uncle has noted that the pcd and 5 stud arrangement on his Mercedes car matches his caravan. In effect he has potentially two spares when towing. For those with heavier caravans It might be worh checking.

Colin

I tow both a trailer and a caravan (but not at the same time!). Nothing different in towing with a Yeti to towing with a Dacia Duster or a Ford Cortina. :giggle: Two things perhaps:

1. some people struggled to make some towing mirrors fit. See this thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294483-towing-mirrors/
  2. The only other thing of note is that with the factory fitted towbar or a dealer fit one, neither comes with the split charging pin connected so you can't power your fridge as you tow. It's simple enough for someone to add later though.

I'm not sure if I can forgive you for "getting rid" or your Troll, that's not being respectful. :giggle:

From my experience and observations of others the main thing to be aware of is that thing on the back as it is very easy to forget it is there!

Nothing else crosses my mind.

Fred

I'm not sure if I can forgive you for "getting rid" or your Troll, that's not being respectful. :giggle:

From my experience and observations of others the main thing to be aware of is that thing on the back as it is very easy to forget it is there!

Nothing else crosses my mind.

Fred

Even blindfolded and / or with my mirrors taped up I have to say it would be very difficult not to know there is a caravan out back once you're on the move! The way the car goes over bumps is completely different than when it is doing so on its own! 

Mirrors like the Milenco Aeros I use fit better across

the bottom (flatter part) of the Yeti mirrors and hardly

move at all.

The Skoda Dealer in Bath had a local mobile man fit

my Witter towbar, he made a point of saying the extra

feed and earth was fitted for the fridge and battery.

Edited by gumdrop

Never had a problem with Milenco Aero mirrors across the top - just undo all of the bolts, catch the mirror and steams it slides out of the clamps ........(4 pairs of hands are useful at this point).......wiggle the clamp between the mirror and frame, then tighten all the bolts up!

Factory fit towbar and electrics ..... Find taking the cold food plus frozen cool packs ( if the weather gets warm enough ) and stowing in fridge just before setting off is enough, don't need fridge running.

I have to say the caravan (24' MTPLM 1461kg swift challenger) behind the yeti looks good, tows great and even in a gale force cross wind that was pushing lorries around was manageable.

For me a spare wheel for the Yeti and for the caravan is essential - but when did you last check the pressure in your spare, and the condition of it?

My advice would be take it slow to start with, get used to it, go wide on corners until your confident of your turning circle and enjoy it

post-107017-0-33410700-1397515671_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Mirrors like the Milenco Aeros I use fit better across

the bottom (flatter part) of the Yeti mirrors and hardly

move at all.

The Skoda Dealer in Bath had a local mobile man fit

my Witter towbar, he made a point of saying the extra

feed and earth was fitted for the fridge and battery.

Do NOT fix the Milenco mirrors to the bottom of the mirrors if you have automatically folding mirrors though! The clamps will hit the bodywork of your car when they fold in.

As I posted on another thread, try to make use of the full noseweight limit when loading the caravan. This limit is 80 kg for 2WD versions and 85 kg for the 4WD versions. With a noseweight close to the limit, towing is more stable and I found that, with the factory fit towbar, the caravan was slightly nose down which also aids stability.

You're right to say that the spare wheel in the car is important consideration. I have the factory fit spare - it does reduce the boot space a fair bit but the peace of mind it gives is worth it overall.

I have the same model of Yeti as the OP and found the Yeti to be a very stable towcar compared to my Fabia estate which was a bit twitchy no doubt because of the 50 kg noseweight limit. 

Edited by rkenny

Even blindfolded and / or with my mirrors taped up I have to say it would be very difficult not to know there is a caravan out back once you're on the move! The way the car goes over bumps is completely different than when it is doing so on its own! 

Johann

I should have indicated that my comment was slightly tongue in cheek. :giggle:

I meant to indicate that the Yeti was so competent that the caravan could "almost" be ignored. Having said that it obviously depends what you are towing and I suspect my ERIBA  is a tad lighter than your warrior. :love: 

Fred 

Johann

I should have indicated that my comment was slightly tongue in cheek. :giggle:

I meant to indicate that the Yeti was so competent that the caravan could "almost" be ignored. Having said that it obviously depends what you are towing and I suspect my ERIBA  is a tad lighter than your warrior. :love:

Fred 

I know it was tongue in the cheek!  LOL  Apologies if my reply came across as different.  I just wanted to point out that I do feel the van back there changing the way the car bounces.  Our nose weight on the towbar for either caravan is the same so the bounce and influence on the suspension should feel the same I think - regardless of how much the van weighs I suspect.

• Like 1

I tow a Bailey Ranger 460/4 and have the noseweight slightly higher than specified, but find that it tows brilliantly like that. Certainly coming back from Cornwall yesterday it was very windy but the van was a stable as a rock, even at slightly illegal speeds on the M5 north.

Anyone got a kitchen window for a Bailey Ranger 460/4 Series 5?

Bailey Orion. Have you checked for a jack. You may also need some jack brackets as well, makes life easy

Why is there a particular problem with the Orion? :sweat:

Caught the edge of the gatepost going into the storage compound!

Grrrr...  annoying. Hope you find one cheaply enough.

Do NOT fix the Milenco mirrors to the bottom of the mirrors if you have automatically folding mirrors though! The clamps will hit the bodywork of your car when they fold in.

Ooops! although I tried it and it appeared to be ok, it's not, they do foul the bodywork.

You were right  I thought I would see how quickly the mirrors would retract, as I am off to

Devon and narrow roads.

Caught the edge of the gatepost going into the storage compound!

cough cough,

I understand from that statement, that the window somehow reached out and caught the gatepost.

Which is to somehow suggest/say.

It had absolutly nowt to do with the person in control of the towing vehicle then/person manually manouvering the caravan then.?

Regards,

Marcus

Edited by dieseldogg
  • Like 1