Rear ended someone at a roundabout

As per the title really. Was absolutely sure the driver in front had gone but evidently not. Surprising amount of damage to the Superb for only 10-15mph. Almost none on her 56 plate astra.

usava2an.jpg

dyhuza2a.jpg

utata5e3.jpg

y8epetur.jpg

Bumper, grill, bonnet and passenger headlight all damaged.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

They made to go and I saw their car move away from the give way but it seems that as I've looked right they've changed their mind (not sure why because there was tonnes of room) and I've run into them.

Funny you should say that Mr Ree, the other driver stiffly got out of their car and made a few grumbles about feeling like they'd been hit very hard.

Oh you DO suprise me. :devil:

That'll be this years trip abroad sorted then. :devil:

Insurance companies are supposed to be sorting this...apparently. :think:

They made to go and I saw their car move away from the give way but it seems that as I've looked right they've changed their mind (not sure why because there was tonnes of room) and I've run into them.

I know of several that have been involved in exactly the same sort of accidents, and have come within a whisker myself on a couple of occasions.

Got scam written ALL over it..

Sorry to hear mate.

Hope not too expensive or stressful to sort.

There are some right gits who remove brake bulbs or deliberately stop to claim on insurance for whiplash or big money claims.

In the end if u fully insured then it at least gives u a piece of mind.

Are u getting yours repair at Skoda?

Got lots of pics if accident?

HA!

Just remebered.

It happened to Ree Snr 5 years ago.

Battered old Honda Accord rammed to the rafters with dodgy looking 'foreign gentlemen' apparently.

Insurance shelled out over £10k in whiplash claims..

Fortunately their was a fire extinguisher handy for when I instantly combusted upon hearing about the settlement

Not willy waving here, but I got rammed into in a motorway traffic jam a few years ago. The lad behind admitted he took his eyes of me and the slow moving stop/start  que, and hit me at approx 10mph.

No damage to my car as he hit the tow bar, but the front of his Kangoo van was mullered.

He was devastated and admiited full liablity.

I was absolutely fine and took no action against him or his insurance company.

It's not rocket science, it's merely called moral standards and honesty, and SHOULD be <cough, cough>  commonplace. :rofl: :think:

Edited by Mr Ree
  • Like 2

Seems like another justification to get a Car-Cam to me. Especially since actual scams are getting more prolific. Even if it isn't a scam, too many people do like to try their luck at someone else's expense.

They would think twice though if they knew the other party had a camera.

I have even had guys doing a sudden cover up or head turn away when they notice my camera. I can only assume that they think my dark coloured superb could be an un-marked police car and that they shouldn't be driving. :giggle:

Seriously though, I do not think I can ever do without a car-cam now as I just feel reassured that I am protected against any possible scam.

• Like 2

What's the estimate on yours going to read i wonder?

2-3K?

The more I look at it and poke about the more broken plastic I find. Passenger headlight and fog both loose with broken fixings. Considering how slow it was I'm surprised how muck is broken compared to the Astra

I learned my lesson many years back when I went slowly into the back of a friends car waiting to pull out of a junction.

I now always keep looking at the car and don't even bother looking right until I know the car has gone in front.

Sorry to see your car like that. I hope that the woman in front in genuine and not trying it on!

Phil

• Like 1

Front ends will always come off worse as they are designed with pedestrian safety in mind. 

That's another reason for a dash cam - I've has 2 instances of this where the ****** in front goes to pull away and then suddenly stops for no reason - at the same time you are of course looking to your right........

It also happened to a colleague of mine, a really minor bump at a roundabout. One of the women in the car in front tried to claim extra as - get this - 'the impact made all of her teeth fall out'. I kid you not......

I hope it is all sorted quickly for you  :thumbup:

And as above... couldn't recommend a dash cam highly enough. Great peace of mind knowing that it's recording all the time so in this situation you could play it back even just to put your mind at rest.

Phil

• Like 1

Teeth! Genuinely LOL

God's honest truth. I couldn't believe it myself at first.  :giggle:

On a more serious note, I now have a dual channel Blackvue HD camera for instances like this. I am fitting one to SWMBOs vRS at some point this week too. 

Lady Vienna posted a clip of a bump she witnessed in the dasham thread. Brilliant quality, though I don't know which cam she's got. Fortunately for the car in front of her that got hit the person that caused the accident stopped, but even so having the footage would save anyone many sleepless nights knowing it didn't matter what the other side claimed what happened.

Little sympathy here. I've been the passenger in a car that has been rear ended and it's no fun. I had a sore neck for a couple of days. Of course, I didn't claim whiplash because I just had a sore neck.

You drove forward without looking forward and it wasn't clear. I regularly drive into Milton Keynes. If I drove like that, I would have an accident on almost every visit. I had a car stall in front of me today. If I had run into the back of it, it would have been my fault.

Having said all that, I hope you have some detailed photos of the van (there will be damage) so they can't rip you off. A camera such as the Blackvue is always a good idea, as even if an accident is your fault, it means the claimant can't 'take liberties'.

Little sympathy here. I've been the passenger in a car that has been rear ended and it's no fun. I had a sore neck for a couple of days. Of course, I didn't claim whiplash because I just had a sore neck.

You drove forward without looking forward and it wasn't clear. I regularly drive into Milton Keynes. If I drove like that, I would have an accident on almost every visit. I had a car stall in front of me today. If I had run into the back of it, it would have been my fault.

Having said all that, I hope you have some detailed photos of the van (there will be damage) so they can't rip you off. A camera such as the Blackvue is always a good idea, as even if an accident is your fault, it means the claimant can't 'take liberties'.

Well he's got my sympathy.

Easily done, none of us are perfect,  and he's had the bottle to come in here and admit it,, so the very least we can do is give him a virtual man hug and discuss to make him feel a tad better. :kiss: ..

• Like 2