OE LED number plate lamps - fitted.

This subject has been done to death but I thought a few people might be interested.........

Note: this is on a facelift Superb Combi so I can't guarantee this will work on a pre-FL or a Twindoor. 

The usual rules apply - do this mod at your own peril, do a complete scan of your car and save it before messing with coding etc etc....

I purchased a set of VW OE LED licence/number plate lamps from here: http://www.carsystems.pl/license-plate-led-3af943021a-x2,id366.html

I've ordered a few bits from here before and never had a problem. 

The VAG part number is 3AF 943 021A

post-6717-0-73034200-1397494068_thumb.jpg

They aren't a perfect fit however, there are two plastic tabs on each LED unit that need to be removed.

post-6717-0-41637200-1397494069_thumb.jpg

Once these tabs have been removed, the units fit perfectly, they are nice and secure as one end is spring loaded like the original W5W units. 

They have to be fitted in a specific way or they obviously won't work very well. They have lenses to direct the LED light evenly across the plate. 

post-6717-0-96441900-1397494069_thumb.jpg

I fitted them in the sunshine this morning so had no idea how they'd perform. I parked in the underground car park and took a few pics of them in low light. The picture doesn't really do them justice but they do have the OEM look in real life. I'm pleased with the result.

post-6717-0-34795700-1397494070_thumb.jpg

You'll also need to arm yourself with VCDS and enter [09] Central Electronics > Coding > Long coding helper > Byte 17 > Enable Bit 7 'Licence plate light W/O PWM (LED light)'. This is on an MY14 FL so not sure what the deal is with earlier cars. 

You may also need to clear any faults if you haven't recoded before testing the lamps. 

All in all, a very easy mod. It'll take no more than 25-30 minutes to complete - including the VCDS coding.

• Like 1

Worst case scenario with older BCMs would be the use of resistor packs in line with the LED units. Just make sure they don't rattle around in the boot lid!