Engine bay cleaning

Paul04RS

I was looking through some of the guides the other day and it set off my OCD twitch, mainly one members car. So now I'm thinking about trying to tackle the engine bay over Easter. I know I need to protect some of the electrical parts like the battery and.....

This is where I'm stuck, anyone know which parts I need to wrap up and anything I should be careful of?

Any pictures with big arrows would be much appreciated as I can be thick sometimes

Cheers

I just use elbow grease degreaser from the quid shop and go hell for leather with a jetwash. I even jetwash the hell out of the battery with no ill effects :)

If your engine covers are still fitted you dont need to worry to much about the coilpacks etc..

• Like 4

For first attempt to clean probably a engine degreaser liberally spread brushed on all components and let soak a few minutes. Then hose off with just normal hose pressure. Would typically cover airbox, maf, battery but rest is OK if not perpetually soaked.
Thereafter I would use more specific detailing like plastic , rubber treatment to bring up hoses , pipework and general plastics etc. Then a metal polish like autosol for alloy manifold engine cam cover etc. A silicon spray for wiring looms electrical connectors. Then if you really get the bug like me go for specific brands and detailers. I never need to use pressure washers or water hoses now and just low maintainance of a good condition bay is needed.:]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cheers for the comments guys, bowders it's your engine that started my twitch lol. I want to remove the covers as I'm going to spray the cam cover and inlet manifold (as soon as I can get a spare set).

Would electrical tape be enough just to make sure the wiring and coil packs don't get soaked?

I'm thinking a whole day on the engine for the first wash so I can take my time and also because I can't use a pressure washer at home, garage is 100ft below. I've got a portable pressure washer (hand pump type) hopefully that should be alright.

Lastly any tips on good brands for dressings?

Bowders, everything about your car give everyone the itch.....

Along a few others  - Lloyd, and Clubley's Bus for example :D

• Like 2

:yes:

Lol.

Like holly Jesus was there a sand storm in your engine bay.

And why is that y pipe disconnected to the cam cover.

Lol.

Like holly Jesus was there a sand storm in your engine bay.

And why is that y pipe disconnected to the cam cover.

lmao thats the day i bought it smoking stinking misfiring total beast :rock: funny thing is is the engine bay was the cleanest bit :happy:

looks like this now havent cleaned it yet was going to copy your bay pretty much bowders like the polishing :giggle: if i keep it :think:

2n8r861.jpg

1zf1qn6.jpg

ive had my share of tasty bays my favorite was probably like this

1g5g7t.jpg

So.... i finally caved - €2.49 can of engine cleaner form Aldi -

Gave the the covers a quick shot and a wipe down....

its a start!

Photo0367_zps2ba5ba8d.jpg

Photo0368_zps7d4ee15f.jpg

2013-06-25184241_zpsc74e8f8e.jpg

2014-02-23154608_zps546b2e8e.jpg

Hey Bowders,

Sorry for the thread divert - but what is the plastic coil pack loom cover and heat shield you have there matey?

Mine just has the bit of loom itself, and some of the insulation is past it's best. To be honest I am sort of waiting for a failure in that area! Did you replace the loom - can it be easily replaced? And where did the covers you have come from?

Thanks! :D

2013-06-25184241_zpsc74e8f8e.jpg

2014-02-23154608_zps546b2e8e.jpg

Hey Bowders,

Sorry for the thread divert - but what is the plastic coil pack loom cover and heat shield you have there matey?

Mine just has the bit of loom itself, and some of the insulation is past it's best. To be honest I am sort of waiting for a failure in that area! Did you replace the loom - can it be easily replaced? And where did the covers you have come from?

Thanks! :D

Hi Buddy the first pic is a Audi TT heat shield i first fitted years ago, called a heat deflector hose part 06A971461

More recently I removed that and fitted a coilpack loom cover from  a std VW golf mk 5 gti  part 06F 971 824 C

It is still my std wiring loom

Here is a guide I just knocked up.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/312558-how-to-install-a-coilpack-loom-cable-guide/

the coil pack hold down brackets  are from ECS tuning but Awesome gti sell them now.

here is a link they come in different colours

http://www.awesomegti.com/ecs-coil-pack-hold-down-kit

hope this is helpful :rock: