Battery / Alternator or Ignition Barrel?

Hey Guys

Just looking into a problem for my little sis.

She has a Fabia Comfort Wu51 reg

They had some starting problems, they changed the battery,. They put the battery on charge and it was fine temporarily..Problems continued They considered the alternator. They took it to someone (not a proper garage but someone who has some testing tool ??) They were told the alternator is fine but that they need  a new ignition barrel /switch.

I just wanted to find out if that sounds right.?

I think thay have been told the part costs £140 and then the key needs to be re-coded.

Thanks for any info :)

When you say they charged the battery and it was temporarily OK, what symptoms were there when it wouldn't start again? Did the engine turn over properly on the starter motor but wouldn't start?

Its fine that day then the next day they go to start and the battery is dead ( says 12v)

Doesnt turn over, nada.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks

Edited by BigSista

Does the battery light come on when the ignition is switched on (engine not started)? Could be a broken alternator load sensor wire which is a common issue.

Another possibility is something causing a drain on the battery when the car is left idle.

Edited by TMB

Will it start using jump leads?

If yes then battery is dud OR not being charged in which case as Lee (TMB) says check the sense wire. There are lots of threads about it.

Edited by ilikeradios

Yes it starts useing jump leads and the battery light comes on I believe.

And battery has been replaced.

Ill mention the possibilites you have suggested. but can anyone comment on the possibility of it being the ignition barrel / switch as they have been told. (to me it sounds a bit strange)?

Thanks

If it starts using jump leads it's not the ignition switch. Was the replacement battery a new one? Sounds like it's knackered to me.

Edited by TMB

Hokay, well it sounds like it's going flat for some reason. I think the alternator needs checking to see if it's charging properly.

I think theyve been told the alternator is ok

Also I searched for "broken alternator load sensor wire" and combinations of that on here but didnt find anything. Perhaps you could suggest some other term to search for?

Also I searched for "broken alternator load sensor wire" and combinations of that on here but didnt find anything. Perhaps you could suggest some other term to search for?

Do a Google search for 'fabia load sensor wire' and you'll find plenty of info about it. If the battery light comes on when the ignition is switched on (and you said it does) then it's probably not the load sensor wire, unless it's intermittently disconnecting.

Thing is -  you said it starts if jump leads are used. Therefore the battery is either not being charged or it could be faulty despite being new.

Also, check/clean the earth lead connection from the battery to the suspension strut tower.

Edited by TMB

If the battery is going flat overnight then something is drawing power when it shouldn't. I've had silly things like the boot/luggae compartment light staying on causing exactly your symptoms.

Battery should read 12v engine stopped,and 13ish when running. It should maintain 13-14 volts with lights on and engine revs raised a little. 

Was it the "new" battery that failed to stay up overnight in your first post?

My dad says 44 AH and starting power 440A

IF that helps anyone (pulling screwy face here)

It's an 063 and is the correct battery for your car. The battery should read 12.6V with the car switched off and 14.4V with the engine running. That is all.

If the battery is going flat overnight then something is drawing power when it shouldn't. I've had silly things like the boot/luggae compartment light staying on causing exactly your symptoms.

Battery should read 12v engine stopped,and 13ish when running. It should maintain 13-14 volts with lights on and engine revs raised a little. 

Was it the "new" battery that failed to stay up overnight in your first post?

How do we work out of something is drawing power? Thank you

Well now, it depends on your electrical expertise . Do you have a test meter and know how to use it?

Really you can only check for things like the boot light staying on all night..have a look when its dark.

To be perfectly honest, given that in your other thread you are still concerned it may be the ignition barrel, my best advice would be to seek help from a qualified "auto electrician" who should be able to diagnose in minutes/hours what might take you days/weeks of heartache.His first move will be to "load test" your battery because as has been mentioned before,even though its new it may be a dud. (thats why they come with guarentees).

I sincerley wish you the best of luck with it.