Water pump or not?

Car had a brand new official VAG thermostat and CTS fitted a couple of months ago.  Lastnight I was driving home and all of a sudden temp rose to 110 and I had to keep pulling over to cool engine down as it kept rising.  Coolant level hasn`t fallen, no visible leaks.  No cream on oil cap.  The hose coming from thermostat to rad is cold but one from rad to CTS gets hot.  My car is at 101k and as far as I`m aware at cambelt change at 65k.  But I dunno whether water pump was replaced.  I`ve been told it does sound like water pump has packed in.  Would peeps on here be 100% confident in stating the same??  I ran it to operating temp on the drive tonight and it seemed ok , solid at 90 and as soon as I took it for a drive it started to rise and could never get back down to 90...  Also rad fans come on too.

I`m having the water pump changed along with cambelt next week. Do you have to change the aux belt and aux belt tensioner too or can they be re-used??

No you don't but the sake of a tenner I would change the aux belt.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Well your meant to change the water pump when you do the timing belt and if you don't then this will eventually happen, the old metal impeller pumps used to leak through the seal around the shaft.

Yeh.  Unfortunately it looks like a lot of people have been skipping water pump and cutting corners come cambelt change time.  The next owners have to pay the price! i.e ME.

That doesn`t really answer my question on Labour hours though.  I`m taking it in tomorrow to be repaired and I just don`t want to be ripped off too much on the quote.

Edited by sammyhale30

It's because Audi fit a Water pump with a rubbish plastic impeller. 

The newer ones are better made and a dam site better than the metal impeller ones as when they go and seize a lot more damage is done than just over heating. Which is why the std VAG is still plastic.

£350 is typical dealer  charges to replace.

• Like 1