Daytime running lights, anybody got them fitted, photo's please

Hi guys, I am toying with the idea of getting some DRL's for the front of my VRS, I was wondering if anybody had them already, if so where did you get them and how much? also please put up some photos, cannot decide if they would look chavvy or cool.

I'd like to do this as well,I've considered replacing the fogs with circle drls exactly like the mk2 fabia vRS.. this means it would look standard and give it a more modern look... I'd really like to do mine it's just getting the bumper off and being brave, which I'm not majorly and won't pretend to be!

Edited by Edition no.295
  • Like 2

I'm the same as Edition no.295 up there, want to replace the standard mk1 fog lights with the mk2 drl's.   

What you's think, it easy enough?   I hardly ever use my standard fog lights anyways.    

Only question: because drl's aren't standard on the mk1 would the peelers pull you over and question their use as fogs lights perhaps? 

I converted my Fog Light bulbholders to accept LEDs and disconnected the Fog Light wiring, then I connected the LEDs to a feed which is live when the ignigtion is ON, however I thought they were far too bright at night when the Head Lights were on, so I fitted two small relays to switch the LEDs off when the Head Lights were on. I wish all other cars would do the same, there are far too many overpowering lights on on-coming cars at night.

DB.

Edited by mogwye

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/daytime-running-lights.pdf

Interesting reading.

DRLs should go off when headlights are on and should also dim on the appropriate side when indicators are in operation.(page 2)

Will the MOT man check I wonder.

Edited by ilikeradios
  • Like 1

No offence but in my opinion, these look awful when fitted as an aftermarket thing. Fine if you're retrofitting something which was available on said car but those strips on the above car have the chav look written all over them. - Again, just my opinion.. Everyone has a difference in taste.

• Like 4

Mk1 fabia devil eye headlights sometimes described as audi r8 headlights.

I was in the same boat and had seen too many led strip and thought they look hidiously cheap and tacky.

so i set out to find something that looked like they were ment to be there.

The DRLs are actualy the side lights, they are a direct fit.

The only tricky thing with them is the hight adjusting motors have to be turned 180 degrees to fit this then reverses the controls in the car 0 becomes the lowest and 3 becomes the highest. Standard lights 0 is the highest and 3 is the lowest.

post-78984-0-58977000-1397681102_thumb.jpegpost-78984-0-76368900-1397681414_thumb.jpgpost-78984-0-09521700-1397681438_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Adding LED strips to any car looks sh*te, they just don't suit. I've seen Red Fox's lights in person and they look sweet! I would most definitely pay the extra buck instead of putting strips on.

No offence but in my opinion, these look awful when fitted as an aftermarket thing. Fine if you're retrofitting something which was available on said car but those strips on the above car have the chav look written all over them. - Again, just my opinion.. Everyone has a difference in taste.

The use are DRL's, with good taste can surely be seen as both a stylistic feature and a safety feature. As my previous comment describes, the DRL's I'm considering are LED's within the fog light position the same as the MK2 vRS, hence looking standard whilst achieving the crisp light emitted by Led's. I with agree that ALOT of cars with DRL's not fitted as standard do look gash and out of place however. Personally I'm disregarding your comment. 

• 4 weeks later...

I had some fitted but now removed.

uguqa7a4.jpg

rese9equ.jpg

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk

These lights are now back on the car - these cost me roughly £40 (including the casings and lights) - they auto-dim when the sidelights are turned on, just like the mk2 vRS.

The use are DRL's, with good taste can surely be seen as both a stylistic feature and a safety feature. As my previous comment describes, the DRL's I'm considering are LED's within the fog light position the same as the MK2 vRS, hence looking standard whilst achieving the crisp light emitted by Led's. I with agree that ALOT of cars with DRL's not fitted as standard do look gash and out of place however. Personally I'm disregarding your comment.

Just helping the OP, no need for you or anyone other than him to disregard my comment. Merly trying to be helpful! I agree with what you're saying, the lower fog light DRL's are a way of achieving an understated style as well as having an oem look. Obviously, as stated in my previous comment, everyone has a difference in taste and as observed, ours clearly differ as I wouldn't have anything like that on my car. :)

Edited by Poloeddy