Found a mk1 octavia Vrs estate....

I've been looking a for a new estate car with impending 3rd child. Looked at Fabia's (too small), Roomsters (too old!!), Superb's (ideal, but can't find a nice one in my budget), mk2 octavia Vrs estate (it was a bucket of crap)

So spread my search further and found a local dealer with a black estate with 99k on the clock. It's a 2003 model. Anything I should be watching for? It has reverse sensors and electric sunroof. Looks clean in the pics.

90ed67caa1b7f9809a7af57ee2911c44_zps0cad

I need it for dog, baby, children, pram, wife carrier, but needs to. Be fun too!!

looks a sweet car there buddy...

I would read the buyers guide which would be helpful

but typical stuff like:

FSH

Cam belt change proof 

does interior trim match mileage (i.e for wear etc)

On start up check for odd noises and rattles / engine noise etc 

Blue smoke is bad = oil

white smoke = water(but expect a bit if cold starting)

take for a drive and general feel an stability of the car should be good.

no wondering when taking hands off steering wheel or strange pulling to one side.

Brakes feel good and firm

Turbo picks up nice and hold boost through rev range

no dodgy warning lights on like engine check or red oil light etc

suspension feels firm and controlled and no bouncing

good luck.... 

I brought one exactly the same last month.  The buyers guide on here is invaluable,  however I still didn't notice the slight juddery feel and generally uneven feel when accelerating. Probably down to 'buying a new car giddyness' 

Check boot for rust,  floors for signs of water and..... Well there is a multitude of things to look for,  but don't let that put you off :-) 

Dan

Going by your number of posts, your not new to the Skoda family, so the usual suspects -

Check the history for if any window regulators have been done

check for water ingress 

Carpets and boot

Give it a good bootful up hill to see if knocks into limp mode or any stalls/ hesitation.

Looks a seriously nice buy though :)

You won't fit more than two child seats across the back. At least not safely anyway.

You can just about squeeze an adult in with two child seats, but you wouldn't want to go far  :sweat: 

Apart from that, great car and lots of fun too :rock:

How old are your kids? Youll struggle to fit 3 seats in like already mentioned but if one of your kids are on booster seats you legally dont have to have 3 seats in if you cant actually fit one in. Im lucky that my 7 year old son is now only 2cm from not actually needing a booster seat so if ive got both my sons and my girlfriends son in the back my son just sits on the normal seat

Baby due in June oldest is 10 and out of a car seat, middle daughter is 7, just on a booster now.

Yeah, I'm on vw number 47 at the moment, I had a early production June 2003 Fabia Vrs. So been here lots!!

Roomster - I wasn't talking about age of the car - my kids told me it's something grandad would drive!!! (But I still took a 1.2 105 Tsi scout for a blast and loved it!!!)

Price was £3300, now under £3000

• Like 1