Skoda Citigo - Gearbox/clutch issues?

peugeot_205_gti

Good morning all,

Not posted for a year or so but thought this was well worth discussing.

March 2013 i bought myself a Skoda Citigo S which has now covered 19k miles and have to say i love her (See below)

From day one of ownership i felt that the gearbox or clutch was slightly strange. When changing gear, more so 1st to 2nd, i noticed a very slight jerk of the car. The higher gear the less apparent. The Jerk happens as you release the clutch just after changing gear but if you keep the clutch down a little longer and release it slower it avoids the issue.

I had driven an e36 BMW before this so obviously expected the Citigo Gearbox to be different, after a few days i got used to the clutch/gearbox anyway and just thought it was how they were made, the issue really is quite minor.

Anyway, yesterday we purchased another Citigo, this time an Elegance for my Wife. Obviously this was a great way of testing if my car had an issue or not. I drove it a few miles last night, changing gear at different speeds, and its absolutely perfect throughout! Even though the difference isn't huge compared to my own Citigo it is noticeable, even the wife thought so :)

I noticed the box itself is different, you have to press down on the stick to engage it into reverse (opposite 5th), on mine you simply just put in into reverse without having to push down the stick first.

Is this just different because my wife's car is an elegance or has the gearbox changed on all manual Citigo's now?

What i am really asking is, has anyone else experienced the jerkiness on 2013 Citigo at all?

Do you think mine could be a slight fault?

Have they made a change since the early boxes/clutches because of this issue being reported?

I have my 2nd service due shortly and may ask them to check this out.

Any info would be helpful

Thanks for reading

iWNm5dyl.jpg

I was told the gear box has changed in terms of engaging reverse when I picked up my SE a week and a bit ago from the dealers and had an extra loose page for the manual showing how to put it into reverse.

I'm not a Citigo expert but I would have thought it is a revised gearbox.   Maybe some previous customers have inadvertantly engaged  reverse instead of something else and the design has changed.   Nice pair of complementary cars though, His & Hers on the Windscreen then :peek:

I'm not a Citigo expert but I would have thought it is a revised gearbox.   Maybe some previous customers have inadvertantly engaged  reverse instead of something else and the design has changed.   Nice pair of complementary cars though, His & Hers on the Windscreen then :peek:

I have lost even more street cred for this! Just gotta persuade the wife to let me have the PID from her Citigo now  :hi:  

I got my missus a 2013 Citigo about a month ago now, ex demo.

And I must say .... i notice the same gear box "issue" with hers when i drive it.

Only 1st to 2nd too.... feels almost like the clutch is releasing too quickly?

Definitely a revised gearbox if its now got a push down reverse.....

• Like 1

The gearbox is the weak link of the car i think.

Mine sounds really rattly, the clutch whines when changing gear at high rpm too.

The courtesy Mii i have at the moment is much quieter..

I got my missus a 2013 Citigo about a month ago now, ex demo.

And I must say .... i notice the same gear box "issue" with hers when i drive it.

Only 1st to 2nd too.... feels almost like the clutch is releasing too quickly?

Definitely a revised gearbox if its now got a push down reverse.....

• Like 1

I dunno, i think it might just be the car.

Gear box code on ours is NZC, engine code CHYA.

Asyou said, if backing off and clutching slowly gets rid of it, then Skoda wont do anything,

they'll just say thats how the clutch is to be operated...

Interesting. Our Elegance (collected on Thu) has the push down for reverse, but more than that it has a noticeably smooth and light gear change. My worries, after reading some of the threads over recent months, was that engaging first or reverse could be baulky. So far anything but. Redesign or plain luck? Whatever :)

Interesting. Our Elegance (collected on Thu) has the push down for reverse, but more than that it has a noticeably smooth and light gear change. My worries, after reading some of the threads over recent months, was that engaging first or reverse could be baulky. So far anything but. Redesign or plain luck? Whatever :)

Ah thats cool! Yea its the same with the elegance my wife picked up last Tuesday, a fantastic gearbox like you describe. It appears Skoda maybe recognised this slight issue and simply revised the box. Ill just have to drive her one more :)

Bit frustrating for me though because the car is a joy otherwise.

On the new Citigo with the push down reverse can someone look in the serrvice book and get the gearbox code of the first page (or look in the boot at the sticker under the boot floor.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

My Wife has just got a new 2017 Citigo SE L.

On occasion, when changing up a gear, I can feel the Thrust Bearing through the gear pedal.

It's as if it's spinning fast & not adequately lubricated.

It's most noticeable when changing up a gear at high Revs.

Has anybody experienced similar?

Also, when Car was a couple of days old, She dropped the clutch quickly on one occasion to get into traffic & there was a terrible grinding noise from the engine, it lasted a couple of seconds.

Anybody had this happen?

With reference to what I said on the previous text.

The grinding noise I mentioned from the engine was not because the gear hadn't been engaged properly.

We were 'on the move' when the grinding noise occurred & there was no jerkiness no did my wife have to re-engage 1st gear.

The noise was if something was breaking up!