Looking at buying a MK2 vRS

Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice/guidance.

I currently own a MK1 vRS and after 5 yeas of owning its time for a change. I was looking at a FN2 type R but as I may be doing a fair bit of mileage if I get a job I've applied for then the type R is out the window.

I know the vRS has had issues with oil consumption, If I find one with a CTHE engine will this have solved the problem?  what are they like to drive everyday and what are you guys averaging for MPG. 

Also if I don't like what I hear :rofl: , can anyone think of another fast, petrol turbo with decent MPG for £8,000.

Thanks guys

Stephen

I suspect that the only way you would get a sensible, credible answer as to whether the CTHE has been successful in resolving the CAVE problems would be from VAG and I VERY much doubt that they would even reply to any query.

• Like 1

I'm afraid to say but the newer CTHE engine suffers the same fate as the CAVE.

You either get good cars or bad. Cracking little cars but you do play a lottery with them.

Tips would be to buy one that has 1 or more years warranty left and if it is using oil, go through the process of consumption tests / engine change if needed with Skoda.

• Like 1

I wouldn't touch a used CAVE with a barge-pole if it didn't have a decent amount if warranty.

The CTHE seems to he much more resistant to the oil issues but I'm not sure if you will get a decent one for 8k.

Straight line pace is good, MPG wise ours has always been mid-30s over a tankful with mixed town /A/B-road use and driven fairly hard when conditions allow.

They are also quite practical and a rare sight in the road. Downsides? The ride is poor and the handling is sloppy compared to modern hot-hatch standards. I quite like the interior but some say it's rather dull. Seats are very comfy and the DSG box is quick and smooth. Refinement isn't great with a fair bit of road and wind noise.

• Like 3

I'm afraid to say but the newer CTHE engine suffers the same fate as the CAVE. <snip>

Do you have any idea what the rationale was behind the transition from the CAVE engine to the CTHE and what changes it involved?

I had understood that it was released in order to address problems with the earlier engine.

I've just bought my vRS a couple of weeks back I sold my golf r32 for a cheaper car and deposit on a house, i spent £9000 on the car which was above my original budget but I'm more then happy with the car. It's certainly a downgrade but not a major 1! Dsg runs flawless still and there's plenty of pull in all gears.. It surpassed my expectations from a 1.4 engine :)

I fully did my research before buying the vRS and the excessive oil consumption recall didn't bother me. I still have a years warranty left and no oil problems at all. Its a chance you take but with warranty and the amount that have been recalled already I'm sure you will be fine just make sure you get full Skoda service history as I did look at examples with not all Skoda servicing only 3 years old!.. Doesn't make sense warranty void

• Like 3

I debated buying an older 2ltr turbo also Renaultsport megane r26, Vauxhall astra vxr, focus St etc etc but this car seems to be the right car to get at this moment in time only £140 a year tax, impressive mpg ratings and a FAST car.. Plus my insurance has gone down from £760 to £405 now.. I can finally save lol I won't miss paying £485 a year tax that's for sure

• Like 4

Thanks for the response's guys

I'll defiantly get one with full skoda history and make sure to check for any recalls. This car seems to tick all the boxes I'm looking for in a car.

Just got to keep my ear to the ground for a green one with the black park :)

I've had two and never had any issues with excess oil consumption. That may be how I drive the car.., driving in D most of the time, but using sport for traffic lights excitement or overtaking. Or, I could just be one of the lucky ones.

Regularly average around 30/35 with a mix of town and motorway driving, but if driven like an old man, I've achieved 46mpg, which I am sure would have increased even further if continued to drive.

Definitely recommend the fabia mk2, it's a beast and very understated!

• Like 2

My CTHE burns as much oil as my CAVE, but is a better car, more refined and I recon, faster, sounds better too.

Get spark plugs checked at every service interval.

Have a look round any car park and you will probably have the fastest car there.

Tony

• Like 2

There will be a high-ish mileage Estate which might be floating around in a couple of months (depends if the company decides to sell or keep it for a bit).  2 years old although about 60k miles on it.  Had a replacement engine at 22k (CAVE) due to a burnt valve but hardly uses any oil and does high 30's mpg.  Won't possibly be for sale until my new one arrives mid-June.though.

Mine!

• Like 1

My CTHE burns as much oil as my CAVE, but is a better car, more refined and I recon, faster, sounds better too.

Get spark plugs checked at every service interval.

Have a look round any car park and you will probably have the fastest car there.

Tony

Hmm, really? Most 2 litre diesel repmobiles are on a par with it, let's be honest. Fastest small hatchback/estate perhaps!

They do seem to think they are as they sit up your jacksy wanting to be in your position  on the road.

Funnily when a space becomes available and you floor it, they never stay with you or pass,

then when you come behind someone, there they are, right up your bum again.

Must be that Magnetic Hitch and coast system they have on their vehicles.

As it disables the Indicators, it becomes enabled at less than 2 meters from cars in front.

Audi & BMW 2 - 2.5 - 3 litre diesels or 1.8 -2.0 TSI repmobiles, (not even middle management these days,) 

with good performance times on paper,

Must be them in the wrong gear, (Ginster wrappers under the throttle pedal)

or just all those samples in the boot as they tramp up and down the highway that dents the performance.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong I know the limitations of my car, but I know for a fact 2.0TDI rep mobiles are no match. In gear acceleration maybe but not the traffic light GP. It's a nippy little car and it is quicker than quite a lot of the mundane crap on the roads.

I take them all like a king!!!

;-p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Ally_bassman
  • Like 1

This might not be a popular thing to say on here but..... Owning both a Fabia vRS and BMW 120d I can confirm that the diesel Beemer is significantly quicker both off the line, throughout the midrange and at higher speeds. They both have similar power outputs but the extra 100lbft in the bmw does make a difference. In fact the 120d monsters the Fabia at the lights mainly due to the RWD and fat rear tyres plus the Fabias relatively poor front end traction.

The vRS will comfortably have the beating of your typical VAG 2.0tdi 140 all day long tho. :-)

A Nissan Micra can beat a vRS to 30 mph.

It can monster a BMW 120d just as easy to 30-40 mph when you put some moisture on the road.

& stops as easy for the next lights. 98bhp/1000 kg with traction vs 180 bhp /1400 + kg with wider tyres and not great traction.

You surely have experienced that.

Mid Range is a good term, but rpm and torque figures mean little, Forget the heavier by a couple of hundred kg,

rear wheel driver vs the same power of around 185 ps.

less or more power from 1 or the other.

what matter is the Mid Range speed, like 30-70/80 mph when you floor it, does it actually pick up and go.?

Mid range is no use in a litter rever like say a Fiesta ST,

the Torque is low down in the Rev range, unless someone drops a gear or 2 ands gets the revs into the torque band, they are thinking about it and left behind.

Dirty Diesels can have all the torque figures, Power to Weight etc, but if that Turbo does not get its self spinning, 

then its still not up there with the one with less Lb/Ft or torque.

60 or 70 is the same speed what ever car you are driving, and to 60 if there are cars in front, then thats as fast as you are going.

Then at 60 mph you might want to boot it, the 2.0lt TD is not monstering the little Twincharger in doing overtakes like that. You need to change your driving in many diesels to do that ovdertake.

Do the Official or actual performance Figures show a 120D monstering the lowly 1309 cc from 40-80  mph or to even double the NSL.

Certainly not the ones i see doing it on real roads.

I just tell it as I find it living day in day out with both cars..... Just my humble opinion tho. Im not a big traffic-light grand prix fan but can't say I've ever been beaten by a micra as yet lol!

Maybe you have not yet met a 1.2 Supercharged one that wants to play.

Neither am i into traffic light Grand Prixs, it is very embarrassing in a vRS.

I like an under 3 second 50-70 mph, thats the Mid range that matters to me.

Kind of why they designed the Twincharger to have low torque @ 2000-4500 rpm Diesel Like.

& gave it the same performance of the 204 ps V6 Golf 4 Motion officially.

Maybe you have not yet met a 1.2 Supercharged one that wants to play.

Neither am i into traffic light Grand Prixs, it is very embarrassing in a vRS.

Now that would be an awesome sleeper!

That's the issue I was getting at really - plant your foot from stationary in the vRS and it's often abit of a mess of wheelspin/noise whereas the 120d just seems to grip and go.

Was out and about in the vRS in the sunshine today and loving it. Windows down hearing the whoosh-hisss noises and exhaust note - lovely. Now if only my 120d sounded like that.....

• Like 3

This might not be a popular thing to say on here but..... Owning both a Fabia vRS and BMW 120d I can confirm that the diesel Beemer is significantly quicker both off the line, throughout the midrange and at higher speeds. They both have similar power outputs but the extra 100lbft in the bmw does make a difference. In fact the 120d monsters the Fabia at the lights mainly due to the RWD and fat rear tyres plus the Fabias relatively poor front end traction.

The vRS will comfortably have the beating of your typical VAG 2.0tdi 140 all day long tho. :-)

Challenge ACCEPTED! bear in mind I have 'seen' 0-60 in 5.4 seconds ;) (keeping car spec unknown to said BMW diesel driver ! :P )

• Like 2

Challenge ACCEPTED! bear in mind I have 'seen' 0-60 in 5.4 seconds ;) (keeping car spec unknown to said BMW diesel driver ! :P )

Haha Dave- yeah maybe I'll leave the furby at home and bring the Beemer to Combe next week lol

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice guys. A diesel BMW might be better but I don't want a diesel and I had a rather bad accident in a RWD car a few years ago which has put me off them for the foreseeable future.

Cheers

Stephen

• Like 1