VRs 1 ownership round-up: 4 years on...

It occurred to me, whilst posting in another thread earlier, that I have owned my '51 plate Octy VRs for four years now. No idea how long other Briskodians have owned theirs, and what issues you have all had over your tenure? But thought it might be interesting to give you a report on mine, and see how it compares.

I've been lucky enough to have had some amazing cars over the years, including a lovely Porsche 911. When the recession was in full swing, and finally kicked my arse in 2010 - the Porsche had to go. After selling for a huge loss, and paying off the finance, I had about £2,500 left to buy a car with.

Having thought about what I needed from a car now, and with a soft-spot for these, after a bit of a search and viewing a few dogs, I found my black 51 plate at a dealers - which they had taken in PX - with around 80k on the clock, priced at 3 grand.

After a test-drive, and a whinge that the CD autochanger didn't work - with a cash offer, I secured the car for £2,500. A very good deal in 2010 for such a nice example - especially from a dealer. They normally sell high-end stuff, so I think they were happy to just get rid.

She had a lovely, comprehensive history with her - all the stamps in the book, only two owners, and a huge sheaf of receipts to back up the stamps. And there were receipts for bits and bobs, which a lot of 'uncaring Joe-Public' type owners probably wouldn't worry about fixing. This gave me confidence that the car's previous owners wanted it in tip-top condition all the time, and were happy to pay for that.

So - what have been good and bad things over four years and 65,000 miles in my tenure?

Mods and changes wise - Well, I had a Revo remap with a Forge re-circ valve and Pipercross filter done quite early on at JKM, which cured a few flat spots and gave me 'wheeeeee' power! In the 60,000 miles since, showing 135k on the clock, the remap has been nothing but brilliant and hasn't shown up any detrimental effects to the engine and transmission at all so far.

I replaced the discs and pads all round at 100k with EBC grooved and drilled units, with stock pads in the rear and Mintex 1144 pads up front. Discs have not been brilliant - the fronts keep picking up high spots which give me pedal judder. I also replaced all the brake flexi-hoses with braided steel items. WAY better! 

Finally, after pi**ing about with lowering springs and dampers - all of which were crap - I ended up refreshing the suspension with a new set of brand-new stock Sachs items from my friendly main dealer. They did me a 'nice price' and to be honest, the stock stuff suits the car and my driving style the best, by far.

She's had routine servicing - which has involved a new Cambelt at 110,000 with a replacement water pump and idler pulleys done 'just because.' Also had a replacement accessory belt at the same time.

I had the gearbox oil changed at 100k for new VAG stuff. Still a perfect, sweet change even now, with no whines or noises from the box.

I use Mobil 1 oil with a new VAG filter every oil change - but to justify the cost, I run the oil changes to 10,000 miles. Some might say that this is too far - but I mainly do motorway miles, and the motor is still as sweet as ever, with the cam cover off as clean as a whistle inside, and with an oil-pickup strainer check last year - well, there was really no point in replacing it, it was also as clean as a whistle, and had no gunge at all. I am religiously careful in the cold engine's warm-up too - very gentle until all oil and coolant is hot, and then drive it like you stole it!

Brake fluid changed every 2 years with normal DOT 4. 

Still running the coolant it came with - probably a bit naughty, but I've topped it up now and again with concentrate, and it is looking as fresh as a daisy still. Having run it through some pretty harsh winters too, I guess it's up to strength!

Power steering fluid - despite regular checks, I have topped it up *a bit* only twice in four years.

Bodywork top and bottom all as good as ever - no sign of rust anywhere. Not bad for a 13-year-old, but then again I do keep her fairly clean and polished, and wash the underside with a jet washer now and again.

Interior - again, all looking good. Driver's seat (I am a fattie!) is sagging a wee bit, but not uncomfortably so. I guess I could get the seat bolster re-done at a trimmers someday if it gets too bad. Rest of the inside - wearing amazingly well. One thing I still can't believe is that even after all these years, there is not a squeak, noise or rattle anywhere inside. I like to drive with the stereo off sometimes - but I cannot do it if there's a squeak or rattle inside, it drives me nuts!!! So full marks to my car for this so far.

So basically, all-round, at 13 years old and 135k, the car is still looking and driving pretty damn fine.

Ok - what's gone wrong then?

Well I'm pleased to say, she's never left me stranded, bless her!

Rear wiper motor at 85k. Stripped and repaired by me at no cost :)

Had a broken suspension spring (front) at 90k.

Two coilpack failures - one at 90k, replaced by the RAC at the roadside - although to be fair, the misfire was not massive, so I could have driven home like this. And then again, annoyingly, another has just failed last week - but it was a new one from Skoda, as I bought and replaced the whole set after the first failure at 90k. The new ones were the latest revision - so I think I will take it back this week and see what they say, no?

Front ARB bushes at 95k.

One MAF sensor at 100k.

Front and rear offside electric window regulators at around 110k.

Er, that's it! Although I will concede that she needs a new pair of front arms / bushes, they're getting a few knocks coming through not.

I are very pleased with my car - and still love her 4 years on.

How does this compare to other owners? Be good to hear your comments.

I've had mine about a year bought it with 140k on the clock so not had to do a lot but it come with service history up to 110k the bloke I bought it off was a mechanic so he did 2 Sevices on it and have loads of receipts it's had two cambelts and water pumps , a lamber sensor , new clutch , and a cv joint all I've done is a remap to 216 bhp :-) drivers side window regulator that's about it but I have to change the front spring soon cos a bit has broke off but that's a small price to pay for the pleasure I get from driving it :-)

On My second now had a black 04 VRS for 4 Years,with about 120k never went wrong, apart from normal wear and tear and me ripping the sump off.. stopped immediatly ,new oil pick and sump then drove her for another couple of years trouble free! ( lost the car in a divorce FFS!!!)

now got an 03 VRS with 100k, stage one map and a few other bits, had this 2 1/2 years now and again trouble free motoring, apart from a window regulator, and my next car will probably be a new VRS!!!

im on my second first one was a 112k 51 plate totally standard which i did the following to

genuine belt water pump

new fuel pump

bam injectors

bam maf

3in down pipe decat

front mount

aet hybrid turbo

4 bar fuel reg

tip

rs tuning remap to 268

sold due to messy break up

now I have a silver 2001 with 93k

this has got the following on

forge cooler

supersize tip

kw coilovers

xxr 527's

revo stage 2 software

poly bushed

rarb

sports cat and blueflame system

having owned alot of cars from rs turbos, impreza, audi s3 (couldnt bond with it) , rx8, type r i honestly love the skoda vrs

Had it 14 months, done 20k, Had it serviced when I got it including a new cambelt and water pump, mot and 2 new tyres. Rad fans were squeeking and seized a couple of months after that. Nothing else done until the mot was up, when it had another full service, and needed a rear caliper, disks and pads also had the oil pickup pipe changed - Pretty reliable for a car that has done 170k !

Only had mine two and a half months. Had to change the breather hose under the inlet manifold and one oxygen sensor. Some bits of trim and in the future a few bodywork issues to sort out. Other than that, use it everyday. Cant see myself modifying it performance wise or exterior too much.

Had mine for 7 years now

Mileage at 154,900

was at 98,000 when i bought  it in April 2007

It was a Police liaison car

It has been the longest kept car i have owned, owning approx 52 cars. Last car was a UK Subrau Impreza.

This VRS still ticks more boxes than most of the cars i have owned for various reasons

- Reliability

- fun factor

- able to maintain it much myself

- reasonably cheap to maintain

- plenty of VAG models to get parts from

- space is good for kids

Like Rob most of the tinkering and work is me just messing not because car is broken

I have covered over 14 oil changes which works out 2 per year and I change every 6 months (approx 4,00 miles) weather it needs it or not

I have  3 large folders of service history (manly me doing it and keeping records of parts etc. I have even created a service log which has dates and mileage of work done (now 91 separate logs) I have costs on it too and to total that up would scare the crap out of me.

As most of the cost is not a repair, std service but me replacing stuff and up-rating stuff  etc.

To list everything done would me take ages but I may start up a project thread and rewind backwards to the beginning :rofl:

• Like 2

I've had my 52 plate for 13 months now, 111.5k miles when bought for 1800. It's now at 133k miles (i like to drive)

No big major problems so far! Been brilliant and absoloutely love the vrs!

I'll be honest, i neglected her all the way up til the start of feb this year, which is when i first joined this forum, and realised how much i should have been taking care of her (i felt really guilty!)

So i did a service to her myself, changed the oil and oil filter, changed spark plugs to NGK platinums, and all coils for OEM coils (just because i felt like it, and they were mix and match). I cleaned out the sump as well! Pick-up pipe was clean, just a tiny bit of sludge. Cleaned out the throttle body with carb cleaner. Changed brake pads on front. Other then that nothing major! Week after she went in for her MOT and just needed rear wishbone bushes :) had an O2 sensor fitted prior to mot.

i've also replaced the coolant sensor, and thermostat and now i have no more EML shining on the dash :) also replaced a couple of breather hoses.

Still a couple of wee things to go through and check, but otherwise brilliant car :) hope to have it for many years to come :)

Edited by wally22

Bought my 53 plate 18 months old with 37k on the clock in 2005, sold her in May 2009 with 98k on.

Bought an Astra due to mileage. Then.......

Bought her back in nov 2013 with 108k and still using her now at 123k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mluton
  • Like 1

This is my 2nd VRS Combi estate - plus I've owned 2 as stock MK1 PD130 L&K's as hatch (admiral blue) and combi (graphite grey) plus 2 diamond silver Fabia VRS (1 stock and 1 modified) - prior to that I'd owned a stock twin cam Rover Tourer 420GSi16v (gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous) and numerous other un notables.

ALL of the previous never missed a beat and sold with up to and over 250k over the years. Testimony to the build I guess. I do around 40k a year and this is still my daily driver. Molyslip is always added to my engines.

The latest (now reincarnation) I've owned over 8 years alongside one of the above Fabias and it's the longest I've owned a vehicle. It managed just over 201000 miles on the original turbo before a snapped turbo spindle ruined my day in the outside lane and later my bank account when we discovered it had starved itself of oil so the motor was effectively binned.

It had never missed a beat up until that point. It was such a good rust/dent free car with full history and my late wife and I took it everywhere so my wish list to build a VRS 'D' Combi was put into play (never understood why Skoda didn't make a MK1 diesel VRS) and a new tdi motor and hybrid turbo plus loads of other bits have been shoe horned in and bolted on (listed on my profile) and I plan many years of happy MK1 VRS motoring to come.

As per Bowders, Rob and others, I've every receipt, nut, bolt and washer logged, FSH (it's serviced nearly every 8 weeks) - a thick box file of information.

I've always preferred the shape of the MK1 Combi over the 2 - personal preference, but it'll be a long while before I invest in something newer. Currently 213000 (12000 on the new tdi) - 56mpg average. Chuffed to bits and seriously bitten by the modifying bug which continues. I love the fact that the VAG/Porsche parts bin can be robbed and bolted on to create something very personal.

Would I sell it? No chance!

I've owned mine for 7 years in august. Like many have mentioned its been by far the best car I've owned in terms of reliability. The car is huge with all the seats down. I actually got an old bath in it a few years ago when we upgraded the bathroom. I was actually looking for a mk3 Mondeo st and seen the vrs in a car park with a for sale sign in the back. As soon as I drove it I knew I was gonna buy it. The previous owner was a land rover mechanic so it came with FSH loads of receipts. I've since added a fair few myself! Mileage is now on 120k and drives lovely. I'd like to say its never let me down but in November last year it did. Just a battery though. My ownership didn't start too well however having an oil pump fail at 89k. That work got done at my main Skoda dealer. Car wasgood for the next few years then a couple of coil pack failures nothing major. Then a rear caliper seized. Its since had aanother one go. I then had two wheel bearings go at around 100k. A few breather pipes split got them sorted. New OEM discs and pads all round done a couple of years ago. A maf sensor was fitted on 09 I think then just last year that one failed as well. Four new OEM shocks were fitted last year along with some lowering but tbh I absolutely hated driving it as the ride was awful so its now got standard springs on too. Polybushed anti roll bar bushes fitted maybe 3 years ago due to knocking. Audi TT wishbone bushes done for its mot last month along with two new ball joints two track rod end and drop links. Due to its age and costs I do my own services now every year. I only do about 6-7k a year. The car is driving better now than when I first got it due to the new/upgraded parts and even though I've looked at newer cars, I just can't find one that does all the things mine does without getting into big debt.

I bought my 2004 1.8 vrs in July 2009 from Rainworth Skoda near Mansfield on 32500 miles. It had FSSH. I got the standard DV replaced with a forge one quite early on after trying a trial APR remap which was held back by the standard one. I have had it serviced mainly by Awesome GTI then in the past two years by Volksmaster on Oldham Road in Greater Manchester. I drove the first 50k miles doing maybe 20-25k miles per year then my mileage has declined. I have had the oil and filter changed every 5k miles thanks to the National Tyres offer. It had a brief illumination of the ASR sensor which disappeared after the first winter owning it, then routine maintenance of wear and tear items (brakes all round, front suspension arms, gearbox oil, coolant, air con regas, cambelt and waterpump).I got the oil pickup changed after a sump plug thread gave out during a service and needed re-tapping.

It needs some TLC, a good valet as a minimum. It had a leak of water due to blocked drivers side drain holes and leaves in general under the front scuttle panels. However the engine goes like the absolute clappers now at 107k miles.

I was looking at changing it for something better on fuel but at my price range I think I am better getting coilovers, bushes, and an exhaust done and even a remap rather than a few grand on a car that is maybe 2 years newer.

Well after reading all that I'm inspired with confidence about my vrs , had it 2 months it's an 05 on 108k , remapped to 220 . Needs a new coolant bottle and I have the secondary air pump noise but other than that feels very solid . Hopefully will be good for me for years to come !

226000 miles

New clutch at 75k (done as I bought it)

Seized wiper linkage at about 85k

New shocks at about 100k

Rear beam bushes at 120k (bad tyre wear) - think it got smacked in the back before I owned it :-(

Failed alternator pully

Wishbone bushes at 200k

Failed indicator stalk at 220k (left turn only failed)

Countless turbo issues :-(

New passenger door glass after a w**ker broke into the car, couple of cambelt changes & disks/pads.  Still on original exhaust pipe.  Had a rubbish warranty re-spray on the tailgate due to rust (terribly done by Loders of Dorchester).

I think I'll keep it for a few more years, maybe 333k and then it can be scrapped ;-)

Edited by mbames

This is my 1st Octavia vRS bought from my friend who had it from new with 57k with "local garage" service history.

It's been a typical performance family hatch and bears the wear and tear of such....however I am slowly in the process of applying TLC that it has missed out on.

First was a good service then overdue cambelt and water pump change,spark plugs, coil packs care of the Skoda recall, replacement spring new brakes and pads are next when funds allow.

Generally like the car a lot and can forsee a long ownership and maybe some subtle mods.

Ahh I can feel all the Mk1 love flowing here!

I will have had mine for 7 years come September.

It had about 72k miles on it when I got it and now it's around 152k.

Bought it with the original cambelt, so I've had it changed twice under my ownership. Worst things to happen were the clutch slipping (previous owner had no clutch control), front spring snapped (corrosion) and PAS pipe burst (corrosion). Other than that I've had nothing major. Everything is cheap to fix anyway.

Bombproof car that goes like stink! As a package, it's extremely hard to beat....

There aren't many cars this cheap that can do 150mph, be fun on a track day, carry massive things (fridge freezer, washing machine, interior doors, bikes etc.), carry 5 people with luggage, return 36mpg average, destroy most other cars on the road, remain understated, cheap to maintain etc. etc.

• Like 1