Beeps and warning light for no reason - what gives?

I pulled out of my street this morning & all of a sudden the dash let out three long evenly spaced apart beeps (the same one you get when low on Diesel or screen wash) & the hand brake warning light flashed up on the dash at the same time as the beeps. After that, the car seemed fine & was almost all the way to work (30 miles later) & it happened again - 3 beeps & warning light.

Does anyone have any ideas why or whats causing this, its very unnerving as I feel like something bad is about to happen.

Thanks.

I hate saying this as much as you'll probably hate reading it, but did you have a look in the manual? It's not the most exciting 30 minutes of reading you're going to have in your life but it's worth it, if you haven't got one then hit ebay, they're cheap and for things like this they are vaguely useful.

Before topping it up (always use a brand new sealed container as it's hydroscopic) because that'll stop the light/buzzer check your brake pads/disc's and callipers/lines, either the pads/disc's are worn or you're loosing fluid, either option needs attention sooner or later. Out of curiosity when did you last check fluid levels as this will probably give you a clue (in general 'it was fine last week' = leak, 'i've not checked them in forever' = wear).

Thanks for the feedback (and the sarcasm).

I will check the brake fluid later. I actually only checked it last month and it was right up to the cap. I'll check around the calipers and see if I have any small leaks.

I had it in my head that the brake fluid level warning light was orange, but I might have been confusing that with my old Seat Ibiza GTI.

Thanks guys.

Its red as its a critical component. You shouldn't really drive it until you find the cause, especially as its the brakes.

Our old Polo did the same thing. One of the banjo bolts on a rear caliper (changed by a terrible garage) was leaking as they didn't replace the crush washers with new ones.

Thanks for the feedback (and the sarcasm).

I will check the brake fluid later. I actually only checked it last month and it was right up to the cap. I'll check around the calipers and see if I have any small leaks.

I had it in my head that the brake fluid level warning light was orange, but I might have been confusing that with my old Seat Ibiza GTI.

Thanks guys.

Honestly, that wasn't me being sarcastic. 'RTFM' and 'before you extinguish the idiot light by topping it up look at what caused it as per the manual I know you'll have read' were phrases I specifically avoided using so as not to be come across as sarcastic, but since you mentioned it :p

Seriously though, I just didn't want you topping it up and finding out the hard way that while the light may go off you may have an underlying issue that could have life altering consequences for you or someone else. It's kind of important. As to being up to the cap, from memory it has a min/max marker, up to the cap doesn't sound that great.

Edited by Avalon
  • Like 1

Problem solved - it was i very minor leak on the brake hose banjo bolt that attaches the brake fluid hose the caliper. Looks like its been dripping out while driving!!

Anyway, removed the bolt, cleaned up all the surfaces, reattached (firmly!) & rebleed the system - all good.

Thanks for the feedback guys.