Sub on standard head unit.

Hi im in the process of making a sub box thatll be discrete so wont be anything powerful 200watt maybe? Similar to the spare wheel 1s. Its for a mk1 octavia.

Is it possible to wire it up to standard head unit, tapping into a rear speaker?

Also on my speaker covers I have a sound system badge, after some research it means I have an uprated sound system. What is uprated exactly?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You would need to get a sub amp that accepts speaker level inputs and then take a feed from both the left and right speakers, if you take a feed from just one side then the sound will be out of balance and sound odd when say the bass track moves from one speaker to another you would have a dead spot.

You would need to get a sub amp that accepts speaker level inputs and then take a feed from both the left and right speakers, if you take a feed from just one side then the sound will be out of balance and sound odd when say the bass track moves from one speaker to another you would have a dead spot.

Ok thanks just looking for a cheap amp now. Is it pretty easy to locate a remote source?

You can buy items which give rca pre outs using the speaker outputs so you dont have to use high level inputs at all.

For a remote source have a look in your fuse box for a switched live, only means the amp will always be on when the car is running but if the headunit is off you wont get sound from it

• Like 1

You can buy items which give rca pre outs using the speaker outputs so you dont have to use high level inputs at all.

For a remote source have a look in your fuse box for a switched live, only means the amp will always be on when the car is running but if the headunit is off you wont get sound from it

Ok thanks for that, my mate showed me how to connect an rca to speaker wire using a connector block so didnt have to purchase any adapters/converters. Abit of a bodge but it works :).

Just waiting on mr posty then I can get cracking.

Does anyone know the difference between the stereo systems for the octy? Mine has sound system on the speaker covers and seen that it means its uprated

Ok thanks for that, my mate showed me how to connect an rca to speaker wire using a connector block so didnt have to purchase any adapters/converters. Abit of a bodge but it works :).

Just waiting on mr posty then I can get cracking.

How does that work? If all did was attach the cables together you should have issues

How does that work? If all did was attach the cables together you should have issues

post-112827-1398071169583_thumb.jpg

Red and white cable goes to 1 speaker wire and the copper wire goes to the other then just seal it up. It works because ive seen and heard his.

My friend said in theory it shouldnt work because of it being the wrong signal but because headunits have a small amp it acts as a pre amp giving a strong enough signal for my amp. It also because the way its wired a mono signal is converted to stereo with both coloured and earth wired in the photo.

etu8aqur.jpg