heated mirrors skoda garage say its main ecu?

Hi. I have a 08 Vrs tdi heated mirrors not working..elec part is working on both. Car been into soda garage they said it was the door control module..car returned to have it fit.that was not the problem.New mirrors tried..still not working. Now I have been told its the main control unit at £400.00. Can anybody shed an light please. I am not paying that to get heated mirrors working. Cheers Clint

Are there any broken wires in the grommet taking wiring through to the driver's door?

I hope the Skoda dealer didn't charge you for the new mirrors they tried if they tested it and there was no power to the terminals...

As above, I hope you're not paying for any the bits they're speculatively changing.

They're supposed to be the experts, remind them of that. I went through this with Ford a long time ago. Wanted to bill me best part of £600 for changing parts till they found what was broken.

'But you said we can change X'

'Yes, because you said it would fix it'

'We said it may'

'May? Your expert, expensive engineers are guessing and asking me what to change?'

'Ummm...'

After a lot of arguing with the regional manager, I drove away paying £45.

This is I believe is managed by the door controller, which as it has been changed, now suggests a broken wire.  I also wonder if it has not been set in the coding for the driver door.

Clint: if you have a vcds scan the coding can be ruled in or out if you can post it, see http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Skoda_Octavia_(1Z)_Door_Electronics_Driver).

Adam

Adam

Sorry I don't have a VCDS yet. The garage gave me the part number of the ecu they say I need. I will post the part number later. I have also noticed a sound in the passenger door like a lose screw rolling about while I'm driving about about. Not sure if garage has looked at the passenger side. Is there an earth for the heated mirrors in the passenger door? This all seems strange.like I said everything else works fine. I think it m a y be as broken wire or bad earth somewhere but I don't know why the couldn't find it? Any more a dive would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fair enough but sounds like they want to charge for the ECU? I'm really not convinced the fault is there myself.

A common place for a broken wire is in the grommet which carries wires to/from the car from/to the driver door. And it is also worth checking the same on the passenger side as there is a transfer of signals from the driver door controller to the passenger door controller there.

As it is both mirrors and just the heating that is broken, and you mention the door controller has been changed then it is likely to either be the signal to the driver door controller, the wiring from it to the mirrors, or the coding. That could also include the mirror switch too. If there are no obvious broken wires in the door grommets, I would ask the dealer to confirm the coding is set for heated mirrors on the new controller or to try another switch.

I suspect the noise in the passenger door is just a broken clip rolling around the door card so probably a red herring.

Adam

Adam. I see you are in Newport. I'm currently visiting my other half and I'm in pembrey. Not far from u. Do you have a vcds? I will be in area until late Monday.

Yes, you can certainly pop by for a scan. Its not that close to Pembrey though, so maybe best on your way home? Am off work on Monday. Pm me if you like.

Adam

If the mirrors are working ie moving, might be worth getting 2 new mirror glasses from ovi autos on ebay for £10 each. As mine moved but didn't heat, new mirror glasses sorted it.

Well Clint popped down to mine just now, and I scanned his car.

There were some seemingly old errors relating to a door controller and mirror heating issue, but the coding was correct.  After clearing the errors they didn't come back, so we then tested the electrical output at the heater terminals.  I can't see how simply clearing the errors made it all work, but at both sets of terminals, there was 13V-14V as expected, and so if there is any problem, it does seems to be with the glass as suggested above.

Any idea if simply clearing the error would make the things work again? Seems more likely to me that it was actually replacing the door controller that solved the issue (given the old errors that cleared), and that any subsequent testing the garage did was with the ignition on but the engine off (for which there is no voltage across the terminals).

Adam

Thanks for today Adam. I will get two new mirrors as discussed. Also I will be having a word with Sinclair skoda and see what they have to say. Enjoy ur beer mate. Cheers

Perhaps there is a short so the car cut off the power?

Possibly but I think as it is only the heating that is affected this is unlikely. Power to the door controllers is there as the rest of the mirrors' functions work fine. Pretty impressed if the controller does do this though!!

Thanks for today Adam. I will get two new mirrors as discussed. Also I will be having a word with Sinclair skoda and see what they have to say. Enjoy ur beer mate. Cheers

No problem. Cheers mate.