New 'Classic' Yeti

Sprockutt

As of yesterday we are onto our second Yeti. Not new , but courtesy of my in-laws who had bought one about a year and half after us. So I now own a standard, silver, 62 plate 1.2SE with 10k miles to replace my 2011, white, 1.2SE with a panoramic roof with 20k miles.

They are buying a top of the range diesel Dacia Sandero Stepway that costs £10,995. They were initially considering a Greenline Yeti but this makes much more sense to them. After ridiculing the step backwards I can now appreciate why they made the decision at least. They really don't need a car as big as the Yeti and still get the £20 a year road tax and around 70mpg. Less refinement but they don't really care about that. Especially as they still have £5k plus in their bank account.

They were only offered £9.5k using our 2011 car as the trade in by the local Dacia dealer (who also own a Skoda franchise locally) We obviously rejected this generous offer and eventually found a local independant who gladly paid us £11k. This meant we didn't have anything at all to add as the in-laws had said that as long as they had the £11k for the Dacia they would be happy. WBAC had offered £10700 on paper before the haggling started so I was delighted to get £11k without the hassle of trying to haggle or sell privately.

After having numerous issues especially with our panaramic roof we really had to change our car as it was approaching the end of its warranty. So this has come along at the right time for us. I have been less than impressed with the number of issues....excessive condensation due to poorly fitted sunroof seals, steering wheel electronics fail, corrosion issues, timing chain replaced, all roof seals replaced and carpets due to sunroof seals (again) and corrosion issues coming back after being repaired under warranty. All in all it has been the worst car we have owned in terms of problems but the best car in terms of lifestyle and driving pleasure. Hence the reason I was delighted to buy this later build model that doesn't have a panoramic roof...thankfully.

Edited by Sprockutt

Good luck with them getting 70mpg from the Dacia. Auto Express are running the 1.5dci, and commented on how bad the fuel consumption has been. Over a period of 3,325 miles, they are averaging 36 mpg. It cost them £100 in fuel to do 600 miles, that's 2 full tanks!

Might be something to keep an eye on.

That's some seriously bad luck if you ask me....

Good with the Dacia. Not my cup of tea and the duster is much nicer, still wouldn't have one but each to their own.