Superb Estate tyres

Currently running on Continental Sport contact 225/40R/18Y

Have been advised to change to a slightly more expensive Hankook Vectus V12 Evo K110

Any opinions?

Always thought it wise to stick with factory tyres but I guess vehicle manufactures favour those tyre companies which offer them the best corporate deal

Tyres are EXTREMELY subjective and everyone will have an opinion.

Personally, I think the factory Contis are crap.

Avoid the bargain basement budget stuff like the plague.

I've had a few sets of V12s on my Superb and found them to be fine. The rear inner shoulders wore badly on mine as I carry loads of weight in the back.

The last tyres I had on my 2010 Superb before she was put out to pasture were the Dunlop Sportmaxx RTs and they weren't bad either.

I've just gone back to Contis on the front after having a pair of Bridgestone Potenzas.

I was fed up with the fast wear rate of the Contis so went with the BS's. Though on paper they had a lower wear rate they still didn't last 2 years before hitting 3mm and the grip in the dry and the wet was terrible so they were changed.

Like the man says - extremely subjective!

Personally I like Conti sport contact 2, 3 & 5. I also like Pilot Sport 2 & 3 & Kumho KU31 / 39.

I dislike Hifly HF805, Accelera & Falken FK452.

I've just driven around 150 miles up the M5 from Exeter and along the M4 to Reading in my 2013 Superb Elegance DSG estate with the cruise set out at 75 mph.  The car is fitted with Continental Sport Contact 2 18 inch 40 aspect tyres all round as original equipment and are quite worn at the front having only done 8,500 miles. Engine noise and wind noise was well muted but the tyre noise on some sections of the motorway was incredibly loud, and I am going to buy a decibel meter to measure it.  I have recently changed from a Volvo V70 automatic which I fitted with Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres.  The Volvo was silent and luxurious by comparison with the Skoda over the same route.  The Skoda is bearable on smooth road surfaces such as those usually found in France, but I find it unacceptably loud on most UK roads.  

On my 170 CRTDi 4x4 I swapped from the original Contis to the Hankook Ventus at 22k miles.  I've now done another 18k miles and am very happy with the Hankooks.  I guess there's about another 10k miles left in the front tyres and more still on the rears.  Very happy with them.

Edited by Fred Bloggs

Got 20K out of factory Conti's swapped to Michelin PS3's, won't return! The Michelin's are quieter, sharper in the handling stakes, and looks like I'll get 25K miles out of a set (170 Estate DSG)

I put Goodyear Eagle asymmetric II on my taxi. Best all round tyre Ive ever used. Although the standard efficientgrip where harder wearing but less grip in the wet.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

I've just changed from the original fit Continentals and wanted something quieter (you can get a noise rating on all tyres now).  Chose Goodyear Efficientgrip Perfomance (rated at 69 Db, the Continentals are rated at 73Db) and they've made a huge differance, on decent tarmac the car seems procatically silent and they seems to offere good grip.

I've just changed from the original fit Continentals and wanted something quieter (you can get a noise rating on all tyres now).  Chose Goodyear Efficientgrip Perfomance (rated at 69 Db, the Continentals are rated at 73Db) and they've made a huge differance, on decent tarmac the car seems procatically silent and they seems to offere good grip.

+1 - Just done exactly the same and it's much quieter. Can't comment on mileage yet though

I understand that the decibel rating on tyres measures the exterior noise and not the noise in the cabin, so it might not translate into cabin noise. Looks like Goodyear Efficientgrip tyres are much quieter in cabin though from the above comments. 

Can you get the Efficientgrips in 92Y?  Can only find 92W so far.  Am I worrying too much about the speed rating?!

Ta!

Unless you do a serious remap and you're going to be on an autobahn!!  Speed rating of 168mph versus 186mph, given that a normal 170 will hit around 140mph max I can't see the benefit. Load rating is the same.

Can you get the Efficientgrips in 92Y?  Can only find 92W so far.  Am I worrying too much about the speed rating?!

What do you need Y and W speed ratings for? V rating (240 km/h) should enough for a 2.0 TDI. Only the 2.0 TSI and the 3.6 need a higher speed rating.

Skoda specified 'Y' speed rating for my car, a 2009 cr 170 hatch with 18 inch wheels.

There are a number of possible reasons why they specified a speed rating of  'Y' for the tyres on the car. Amongst possible reasons, it may have been as a safety factor because of the weight of the car rather than because of maximum speeds; or because the car handles better on the higher rated tyre; or because the thicker tyre wall of a 'Y' rated tyre is less vulnerable to damage when using a '40' profile tyre; or because the higher rated tyre performed better on a swerve test.  I could go on, but what ever the reason behind Skoda's tyre rating choice,  it should be recognised that Y and V rated tyres have different performance and driving characteristics. Using a lower rated tyre than specified could be very risky and its not a risk I would personally take. In addition, if there was a blow out and the insurance people got to know of the tyre specification discrepancy, I could see them seizing on that as a reason not to honour the insurance on the car.

I put Goodyear Eagle asymmetric II on my taxi. Best all round tyre Ive ever used. Although the standard efficientgrip where harder wearing but less grip in the wet.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

Have those on the front now (Eagle Asymmetric II) and Dunlop Sport Maxx on the rear.