Roomster or Fabia Estate?

Hi,

Looking to buy a car for my wife and have finally narrowed it down to Roomster or Fabia Estate.

The car is a second car, we use my 5 series for family trips, and it will be used for dog/kid transportation and a 50 mile round trip commute 4 times a week.

Both are big enough for the dog, a Labrador, and both are similarly equipped.

Any reason why the Roomster/Fabia is better than the other? It will only ever be used with 4 people in the car but mostly either 1 up or 1 up and 2 young kids and a dog (sometimes 2 as we walk our neighbours dog occasionally).

Not concerned about the looks of the Roomster as I know some people might be anti.

My wife's driving is 50/60mph on A roads so I'm guessing that as no motorway use, MPG will be similar. I accept that on the motorway at higher speeds the Fabia will deliver better MPG as it has a smaller frontal area.

Thanks.

If you just forget about the Roomster looks,  i would try the seating position, and entering and exiting.

Do the doors suit you, and the seat belts etc.

I would happily have a Roomster as a good mode of transport, or i thought i would,

Fugly cars do not bother me.

But the Doors, Seats, pedals, seatbelts were not to my liking, in fact i seriously disliked them.

The Engine/DSG etc was all fine, just like a Fabia really.

I do like a Fabias Estate for the space.  (i do not have one though, i only need a hatch)

george

I would go for the Roomster, we swapped our Roomster for the Yeti (now 6 months old) and have only just got round to liking it. my wife likened it to missing a child??? and the yeti can replace it. when we were in London the 3 cylinder engine made huge sense, and we only did 2000-5000 a year, it was unusual (thats why we bought it, came from a Octavia Elegance) and it was perfect transport for our needs.

Roomster 1.2 TSI would get my vote, think they are sightly better to drive than the Fabia, plus more practical too with the removable seats and van like rear proportions. Also having travelled in both in the rear seats, then the Roomy feels less claustrophobic particularly for my six foot frame.

Would have liked one myself but my good lady cannot live with the looks, so she has a Monte instead.

TP

• Like 1

Roomster does quite a lot of the things a Yeti does, at a much better price. Seat adaptability is really useful.

Was going for a used Roomster when I found my Fabia2 at an attractive price, realising that depreciation on Roomster is greater.

As I was buying used, depreciation was an advantage to me. If you are buying new, you ought to bear depreciation in mind.

We have had two Fabia estates amongst the Five Fabias in our family and both are appreciated for their load space. Think I would find Roomster better for your application, kids and dog.

Sorry, forgot to say that if we had to choose between a Roomster or Fabia, the Roomster would win hands down (and the wife would have one over her Yeti), she likens it to a old family dog?

always dependable, reliable, does what you ask of it without complaining and the sense of loss when it goes is tearful.

I've had a Roomster for a few months now and I simply cannot fault it. Quirky looks aside -the supreme versatility and practicality is just great. I'm using for work and the load carrying capacity with the seats removed is huge. Now I've got used to driving petrol again, the 105 TSi is actually pretty nippy and easily capable of 40mpg with mixed driving.

only a roomster from the B pillers back lol fabia in front of that :rofl:

i have the estate, and it suits us quite well, are looking at a roomster as a dog car for us...

I've got to say Fabia estate

1. Because I've got one

2. My wife would have left me if I got a Roomster

Having said that, aren't there some good deals on Roomsters at the moment? Where do I sign?

• Like 2

I've got to say Fabia estate

1. Because I've got one

2. My wife would have left me if I got a Roomster

Having said that, aren't there some good deals on Roomsters at the moment? Where do I sign?

Regarding No2

Is that a reason for saying yes or no to the Roomster? :giggle:

There was a time not so long ago when that would've read

2. My wife would have left me if I got a Skoda

If you can live with the looks then it has to be Roomster every time

• Like 2

Roomster will hold value better, you can both brand new 1.2tsi 86ps in se spec for just under £10k.

but only silver is available for the roomster. fabia se offer comes in denim blue, white, silver or black only.

roomster offer: http://www.skoda.co.uk/finance/finance-offers/roomster-offer

roomster is £9990

fabia estate is £9995

Edited by fabia55

Don't know how the Roomster holds it's value better, they're a pug ugly car that has hardly been a sales success whereas the Fabia has a bit better looks and is Skoda's top selling car.

• Like 1

Nail on head.  

They do not hold their value better.  That might be wishful thinking.

Plenty cheaper ones around for sale.

People maybe just tend to keep many of them since the Trade in offer is so poor on them.

Buyers market though, some pretty good value Roomster or Fabia Estates sitting at Skoda Dealers just waiting for a buyer.

george

had the roomster, until I used the back of a Renault to stop one day :(

roomster and fabia estate have about the same boot space,

things  I liked about roomster 1,9TDi PD engine were

• rear seats are a little higher, so easy to get in back
  • rear doors open to nearly 90 deg, so again then easy to get in
  • rear seats can be removed for massive luggage space
  • loads of rear head room
  • tailgate opens up
  • load space is fantastically flexible, you fold the seats up or remove them, 1,2 or all 3

things I did not like

• fugly
  • gap between rear seats and load cover
  • not as economical due to shape and higher drag at speed
  • module headlights are pretty poor

I did 165,000 miles in it over the 5 years I had it, never missed a beat,

current fabia estate is the 1.2TDi GLII

• very economical
  • boot cover has no gap
  • seems to have a little more room for rear passenger
  • GLII has a good level of equipment
  • roof rails are great, not had to buy the cross bars, but carried all sorts from IKEA, and DIY store (8x4 sheets of ply etc)

dislikes

• 1.2TDI is a little noisy
  • module headlights are pretty poor
  • could do with a little more power
  • load space not as flexible as the roomster (still miss it at times)
Edited by bluecar1
  • Like 1

'Asking prices', & Window Ticket Numbers are not 'selling prices'. 

If they are sitting with cars not selling, you can offer less than the 'Asking Price'.

They might have to accept, even if they gave too much in the trade in when they got the Used Roomster in.

So its what they sell for that matters,

not what someone sits with on their forecourt not selling that matters.

If the Roomsters actually do sell for more than a comparable Fabia Estate, then thats the proof that they hold their value more,

or just there is less choice and people tend to pay what a Dealer is asking for them.

Buyers market though.

• Like 1