Roomster or Fabia Estate?

a900ss

Hi,

Looking to buy a car for my wife and have finally narrowed it down to Roomster or Fabia Estate.

The car is a second car, we use my 5 series for family trips, and it will be used for dog/kid transportation and a 50 mile round trip commute 4 times a week.

Both are big enough for the dog, a Labrador, and both are similarly equipped.

Any reason why the Roomster/Fabia is better than the other? It will only ever be used with 4 people in the car but mostly either 1 up or 1 up and 2 young kids and a dog (sometimes 2 as we walk our neighbours dog occasionally).

Not concerned about the looks of the Roomster as I know some people might be anti.

My wife's driving is 50/60mph on A roads so I'm guessing that as no motorway use, MPG will be similar. I accept that on the motorway at higher speeds the Fabia will deliver better MPG as it has a smaller frontal area.

Thanks.

Roomster and Fabia are equally good cars but here's what clinched it for me:

Roomster's facility to remove the rear seats to increase cargo space

Roomster's non-mainstream looks (I actually prefer it to the Fabia)

Availability of panoramic sunroof

The Roomster has a "squarer" back end than the Fabia estate and this, combined with its facility to slide the rear seats forward, may mean the Roomster has more dog space.  It might be a good idea to go to the dealer and compare both, side by side.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with whichever you choose.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Roomster. I have had both a Fabia Estate and Hatch prior to the Roomster. The Roomster is much smoother to drive and with the glass roof is a much brighter place to be. The Robjon says the rear is much more flexible. And if you can pick up a Special Edition SE for less than 10K better value in my view.

I think production of the Fabia estate may already have ended. I enquired about buying one but the dealer was not hopeful about getting any more (this was 3 weeks ago)

The Roomster has been around a long while. When is that due for a new model?

Hi we bought a Roomster after test driving both, we found the Roomster to be lighter/airier with larger windows than the Fabuia  which we found to be have a closed in feel. We have had the Roomster for a year now and find that the ride is good , higher seating which facilities better forward vision, far more versatile as mentioned in another review, great on fuel (petrol 45mpg) and all in all a great car.

as I replied on other thread in fabia section

had the roomster, until I used the back of a Renault to stop one day :(

roomster and fabia estate have about the same boot space,

things  I liked about roomster 1,9TDi PD engine were

• rear seats are a little higher, so easy to get in back
  • rear doors open to nearly 90 deg, so again then easy to get in
  • rear seats can be removed for massive luggage space
  • loads of rear head room
  • tailgate opens up
  • load space is fantastically flexible, you fold the seats up or remove them, 1,2 or all 3

things I did not like

• fugly
  • gap between rear seats and load cover
  • not as economical due to shape and higher drag at speed
  • module headlights are pretty poor

I did 165,000 miles in it over the 5 years I had it, never missed a beat,

current fabia estate is the 1.2TDi GLII

• very economical
  • boot cover has no gap
  • seems to have a little more room for rear passenger
  • GLII has a good level of equipment
  • roof rails are great, not had to buy the cross bars, but carried all sorts from IKEA, and DIY store (8x4 sheets of ply etc)

dislikes

• 1.2TDI is a little noisy
  • module headlights are pretty poor
  • could do with a little more power
  • load space not as flexible as the roomster (still miss it at times)