Water collecting in front doors, programming key and check deadlocks?

Question 1 - is it normal for water to get into the front doors and  collect there until the door is opened?  Whenever it rains or I wash the windows with a bucket and microfibre cloth this happens to me.  The dealer had a look and said that it is not normal but should not be a problem.  He says he has queried it with Skoda but will not tell me what they have said about it.

Question 2 - what is involved in programming a key?  Mine wasn't programmed when I got my car - it has been done now but I just wondered.

Question 3 - when I switch off the ignition I get a message something like "Check deadlocks - see Owner's Manual" - what's that all about?

Sorry for so many questions from a Noobie.

1. Is door seals on the way out. Or drain holes blocked in the door.

2. Need VCDS to program the remotes.

3. The Mrs has the same issue and is a faulty lock according to VCDS or dodgy cable

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by Phillips

My doors are the same, it's annoying but what can you do?

The dash message is, as stated above, a reminder that if you leave people in the car and feel you need to lock it then double click the remote as this removes the deadlocks and means in an emergency the doors can be opened from inside.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

The check locks message is normal. It's just a reminder not to lock the doors from outside with people still inside :thumbup:

If the lock message is normal why does it throw up a code? I'm going to double check tonight.

That fault I cleared was related to the locks but hasn't come back so must be an old one!

Your right the manual doesn't really give a good or understandable answer.

If the lock message is normal why does it throw up a code? I'm going to double check tonight.

No idea. Mine doesnt say a code, but does say 'check deadlock' and has done since new.

Iv no idea why, but it does seem the norm

It is the norm, it's been asked many times by many people as it is quite poorly documented in the manual.

I would guess the error message is a coincidence relating to something else with the the locks.

Can you clear the message and see if it comes up again or clears the dash warning on engine shut down?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I see you say in the linked post that the Dealer is taking it far more seriously than Skoda.

?

What are they intending doing, and who is the person taking it seriously, a Technician?

Is this the First the Dealer has ever heard of it, 

or are they just trying to appease you?

*Your linked post is from the Octavia Mk3 section,

so there have been, Mk1 & Mk2, now Mk3 Octavias and people still report water collecting in Doors and coming out when you open the door. Vorsprung Durch Technik.*

It is not a problem really is it.?

But in winter time where the temperature is going to be going around or below 0*oC, you ensure that you open the door and let any H20 out before it becomes Ice.

The Mk2 Fabia is coming to the end of production and Skoda are hardly going to be interested,

but obviously the Replacement will have no issues as they have had every opportunity to have the car perfect in every detail, the most perfect and reliable and fault free car ever intruduced in the history of Vehicle Production.

The Skoda Maybia Evolution.

george

Like Mad Monk, I park my Fabia on a slope and after a heavy shower about 1/2 pint of water drains out when I open the front door.  I noticed exactly the same thing with a  2011 Seat Ibiza which I owned briefly.  I assumed it was the position of the drain holes causing this and when the door is swung through around 70 degrees the water is able to drain out. 

FAO: TheMadMonk, TheGrinch, Jonro2009 and Gino4 - do you believe that this problem only occurs when the car has been parked on a slope?  I believe that it happens to a lesser extent even when the car is parked on a level road. For the life of me I can't work out where the water is getting in, it has never happened on any of my cars before.

In response to the suggestion that "It is not a problem really"; actually I think that if there is any chance of it resulting in rusting inside the doors then it is a problem. I guess that if you plan to get rid of a car after three years and you don't feel any responsibility towards a future owner, it will not be a problem :shrug:

As it happens my dealer has asked to inspect the doors - for a second time. They want to hang on to the car for 24 hours - all credit to them :thumbsup:

The rust does not form inside the doors though if you check them.

You have 12 year Corrosion Warranty on perforation of panels.

If there is rust inside or out due to the design the Skoda will be having to sort it out.

The odd thing with Skoda Salespeople and Workshop Technicians is that they drive Skodas day in and day out,

and used cars sit outside in all weather and are washed almost daily,

and they know exactly how the water comes out when the door is opened,

or the are 'Tommy'.

(He was a deaf, dumb and blind kid, according to the song.)

If the Dealer or Skoda have some way to stop this happening with your car,

its going to be interesting to see them doing the same for many many thousands

of cars built since 2007 that are the same,

or even just those still in the Original Warranty.

george

You do not have to check, or look for corrosion starting to form.

you have a very helpful dealership that are going to strip your door trim. 

and have some one sit inside while they have water hosed onto your car and see what happens.

They are going to confirm that the H20 goes between the Glass and the rubber and stays trapped until

the door opens.

Otherwise what are they doing with it for 24 hours?

No idea what they are going to do about it after that,

but once you get that stopped happening on your car,

Skoda can start a Service Campaign and Field actions on every other car that it happens with.

• Like 1

This is a most annoying design. I regularly see well over half a litre of water come out when opening drivers door, but hardly anything from the passenger side. And yet more comes out if someone reverses and stops - the water obviously sits at the front of the door.

Because of where this water acculumates for prolonged periods rust MUST be inevitable medium term. And what will happen when the water freezes, expands and possibly splits/opens the seam at the bottom of the door? Paint and wax inside the door may delay problems but judging by my mk1 there is only a little of both and no lacquer coat in there.

Dealer is not interested as long as water is not going into the footwell - they are still stuck in the mk1's past......

Corrosion warranty may be of little use because of the perforation requirement. We should be trying to prevent problems and not allowing them to happen and relying on a possibilty of a warranty claim, which by all accounts is becoming much more difficult to sucessfully get approved.

Why cant Skoda just put another small drain hole near the front?

I have had 3 fabias mk1 and 11, they all seem to retain some water in the doors for a while.As George says,  Fabias do not rust. 

I have never seen a Fabia with doors rusting from the inside so nothing to worry about. If you have doubts though just squirt a can of decent Waxoyl type substance in there for a bit of overkill :giggle:

Had many new cars of all types and makes over the years. All leave a trail of water from the sills and the door drain holes when you first start reversing off the drive in the morning or whatever.  It's completely normal and your car won't suddenly rust away or appear with holes in the doors one sunny day. Take a look in any car door these days and it's either heavily galvanealed, or has electrophetic primer and heavy wax coating. Quite often it's a combination of the three on some models and makes. Rust is rare inside a door now. The problem is, you just cannot keep water out of a door compartment. The window bottom seal that runs across the door at the bottom of the window is not a watertight seal. But it does keep out most of the water, which is the best one can hope for. The dealership should know all this and as George implies, they are on to a hiding to nowhere if they think they can stop it. The drain holes are there for a reason!

Edited by Estate Man
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer from whom I bought my car had it for two days last week. Following extensive soak testing they confirm that an excessive amount of water does collect in the front doors if it is parked on a slope and then escapes when you open the door. They say that Skoda have acknowledged that this is a design flaw and it cannot be corrected.

I am still amazed at the amount of water that gets past the window "seals" - I have never experienced this on any other car I have ever driven - another design flaw perhaps?