Whining noise.

Hi just drove car (octy vrs mk1) home and noticed a strange whining noise. on idling it only does it when turning the wheel but if I apply some revs its really loud and changes tone if I move steering wheel side to side.

I cant tell whether the feel of steering has changed at all just the loud whine which only used to happen on full lock.

I had a quick look but I wasnt able to check fluid levels or leaks with it being dark however I didnt see anything ovbious...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the noise I had when my car was running with very little PAS fluid.

Get the level checked... its the little green bit to the left of the engine bay. You may need something to crack the top off, big flat screwdriver will do. It even has a dipstick in there. Mine was off the scale empty.

If the PAS pump is sucking on nothing, then it will be noisy.

If you need to top it up, make sure you have the correct green VAG approved fluid.

Sounds like the noise I had when my car was running with very little PAS fluid.

Get the level checked... its the little green bit to the left of the engine bay. You may need something to crack the top off, big flat screwdriver will do. It even has a dipstick in there. Mine was off the scale empty.

If the PAS pump is sucking on nothing, then it will be noisy.

If you need to top it up, make sure you have the correct green VAG approved fluid.

Ok thanks for your reply. Will check it at work tomorrow.

Well a little update I checked fluid when I got to work and it just shows on the dip stick and is way off the minimum line so going to source some fluid when I finish work.

Going to check level before I set off as I previously checked without letting car settle.

• Like 1

Glad you found it.

Exactly the same as mine.

I can't find any leaks in mine, so I don't know where it went.

Could I get the fluid from halfords? ECP closes same time I finish otherwise its guna have to be tuesday after bank holiday. Would prefer to fill it up asap knowing its not right. Dont want to cause any damage running it near empty!!

Possible... I'm not 100% sure what the requirements are. All I know is you can't use ATF and it should be green.

VW or Skoda will be able to supply you, if their parts dept is open late enough.

Halfords might be able to help... look for G 004 000 M2 (I think also known as G4)

I managed to get some from halfords. Known as central hydrolic fluid and states it suits requirements to meet vw, skoda, audi etc.

Its green but the number is G 00 2 000 rather than G 00 4 000 but on an audi forum its just the new replacing old.

Its cured it though so thank you mate.

• Like 2