Judder me!

Hi all,

After reading quite a lot recently there seems to be quite a lot of people with engine judders and stutters or misfires with octy vrs. I seem to have all. Engine idle and the needle drops a mm and you can here the slight drop in revs. Between about 2 and 4 thousand revs the power delivery is not smooth, and almost feels light a slight cough when accelerating.

So, where to start please? Boost pipes for splits? Maf? Something else? I cleaned out the throttle body and although it was black it wasn't a lot, and cleaning it made no noticeable difference. So which is the cheapest option to start with, I'm not familiar with this engine at all. Maybe the sai thing too, makes a very short durrr noise on cold start up and in my opinion it out isn't  loud when it's running, just like a loudish fan, certainly not a jet engine as some would say.

Any help please?
Dan

Edited by Skodaniel

What kind of cough / misfire is it mate?

Generally, things like bad sensors and split pipes cause sort of 'gentle hesitations' and 'surges' in the power delivery. Feelings like it's 'holding back' sort of thing?

Whereas the other old favourite on these - dodgy coil packs - cause a more 'definite' misfire, quite 'harsh' in character, more of a judder than a hesitation, with a definite feeling of a misfire.

Know what I mean?

To answer your question about where to start - you need to start with taking the car somewhere with a VAGcom code reader system (or equivalent) to see what fault codes are stored in the ECU.

As there are a myriad of things that it can be, you are ****ing in the wind really with trying to guess what it is. I've had mine 4 years now, and can diagnose a dead coilpack immediately - which is no problem now because I carry spares in the boot!!!

As for the SAI - yeah, it's a noisy and ridiculous system, but even when it's faulty and noisy, it wouldn't cause a misfire on a hot engine - it switches off once the car is warm.

HTH. Let us know how you get on...

Generally, things like bad sensors and split pipes cause sort of 'gentle hesitations' and 'surges' in the power delivery. Feelings like it's 'holding back' sort of thing?

More like that yes,  the misfire is a gentle miss really,  and I've used my own obd2 reader and torque pro software thingy,  I don't know how accurate they are but it came up with no faults found.  I might try find someone on here near me and ask them to help. 

Hmmm ok, then probably not a coilpack. I have an OBD2 cable and VCDS lite software, and a dead coilpack always shows up on there. 

If you don't have any fault codes, then I guess the system is working within it's parameters, but that there's a transient and slight fault that isn't too bad for the ECU to detect yet.

So I had a similar thing a couple of years ago - not a huge change to the power delivery, quite a subtle hesitation like you describe, but also as you, no fault codes stored.

After looking on here, I thought it might be the MAF.

It can be checked by unplugging it, and driving the car. It won't drive as normal, it will be down on power - however if it now drives smoothly and without a hesitation, then it may be faulty.

That's what mine did, so I replaced the MAF. 

All was then fine afterwards. So you MAY have a similar problem.

Try unplugging it and going for a drive. You'll get the engine check light up on the dash, but don't worry - it will go out again once you re-connect it. Give it a go and let us know.

That's again for replying,  I was thinking after 60+ views and no one commented I wouldn't get any. 

I am off tomorrow and have to find a coolant leak on the wife's  bloody corsa,  but will try the maf option in mine if I get time. 

Hopefully a relatively easy fix if it's that! 

Dan

I have disconnected the maf,  Inc snapping the little tab on it :-(  and it's runs at smoother now.  So I guess it's a new maf job.  Is it better to get one from The dealer,  or euro car parts do them for about 40 quid. I'm guessing dealer would be best