Alarm Chirp

Phillips

Hello!!

Just enabling the pointless stuff that I like on the mrs monte carlo. 

Alarm Chirp

Single click unlock

Needle sweep

Heated mirrors when you turn the rear window on

Tested the alarm chirp and the thing is horrendously loud! Think all the neighbours will be woken when she comes home late at night. Is there a way to turn the volume down on this feature?

I'm not aware you can change the chirp to be honest, but happy to be told differently. :)  I thought it was just on/off/

I was under this impression as well Jason but wasn't a 100% sure. It was just one of those silly things that we thought we would like to have on the car but its to loud at the minute. It will definitely annoy the neighbours as much as us lol

Ah yes, there is a "Europe/USA/R.O.W" setting for the alarm but I think that's just the tone of the alarm itself and unlikely to affect the chirps.  I'd be interested to have a play with a car and see what the alarm sounds like.

Not done the country setting before, what are the steps to accessing it?

As I have a car that it should work on I will video the different settings and post it up :)

The Ross-Tech link below has the settings for changing the length and volume of the alarm horn sound for the Passat (3C). I have no idea if similar settings are available for any Skoda models but it might be worth investigating.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_(3C)_Comfort_System

• Like 1

Its called staging on the adaptations drop down for the instrument cluster

On newer vehicles it is called 'instrument celebrations'.

Explains why I couldn't find it on a new Yeti.

• Like 1

It was just one of those silly things that we thought we would like to have on the car but its to loud at the minute. It will definitely annoy the neighbours as much as us lol

You have to be a bit careful with this as it's illegal in the UK. You'll get away with it as long as no one complains.

Here's the actual law in the UK Construction and Use of motor vehicles document:-

Use of audible warning instruments

99.  (1)  Subject to the following paragraphs, no person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, any horn, gong, bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle which is—

a. stationary on a road, at any time, other than at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road; or

b. in motion on a restricted road, between 23.30 hours and 07.00 hours in the following morning.

You have to be a bit careful with this as it's illegal in the UK. You'll get away with it as long as no one complains.

Here's the actual law in the UK Construction and Use of motor vehicles document:-

Use of audible warning instruments

99.  (1)  Subject to the following paragraphs, no person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, any horn, gong, bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle which is—

a. stationary on a road, at any time, other than at times of danger due to another moving vehicle on or near the road; or

b. in motion on a restricted road, between 23.30 hours and 07.00 hours in the following morning.

As noted in another thread: this would render every single car alarm illegal.

Because you would be "causing or permiting to be sounded, any horn, gong, bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle" when "stationary on a road, at any time".

As you would not wish to sound the alarm in a situation outside of theft or attempted theft, especially between 23:30 and 07:00 (if the alarm had not been deactivated you would be causing it to be sounded), it would not be unreasonable to assume that audible activation and deactivation is allowed.

Given that 99% of after-market alarms have audible activation/deactivation, your assertation would mean that they would all be illegal.

According to the link below those same regulations specify maximum permitted durations for which car alarms should sound, although no further details are provided. Beep on lock provides an audible confirmation that an alarm is set.

http://www.reigate-banstead.gov.uk/environment/environmental_health/environmental_protection/noise_nuisance/types_of_noise_nuisance/transport/noise_from_car_alarms/

PS. The link below gives more information including alarm duration.

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/info/200228/pollution/576/noise_nuisance/2

• Like 1

Because you would be "causing or permiting to be sounded, any horn, gong, bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle" when "stationary on a road, at any time".

Car alarms sirens are dealt with separately in the Construction and Use regulations.

(5) Nothing in paragraph (1) or (4) shall prevent the sounding of— 

a horn (not being a two-tone horn), bell, gong or siren—

(i) to raise alarm as to the theft or attempted theft of the vehicle or its contents;  

Given that 99% of after-market alarms have audible activation/deactivation, your assertation would mean that they would all be illegal.

Absolutely......at least the audible activation/deactivation part....because you would be "causing or permiting to be sounded, any horn, gong, bell or siren fitted to or carried on a vehicle" when "stationary on a road, at any time". But the alarm sounding due to attempted break in is obviously permitted. 

Edited by booke23