Front Console Bushes

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum so please bear with me if my questions seem a little stupid.

I have tried to replace the front console bushes on my 2005 Fabia.

The near side console and wishbone bush replacement went to plan after following a fitting advice post from some time ago.

The drivers side however has got me beaten at the minute, I cant get the 18mm bolt out of the wishbone since it hits the sump, now I know this is a daft question, but do you have to remove the sump to get it out ?

If so what tool do I need to undo the sump bolts ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

You don't need to remove the sump or raise the engine.  

I used a 3/8' long handled ratchet on both sides. No problem. 

Granted the bolt is long and the ratcheting space ain't massive but you can still do it.. and my ratchet is a fine tooth one. 

Hi Robbie

Its not getting at the bolt that I'm having a problem with, I ended up tightening the bolt back up because I couldn't remove it because it hits the sump before its out. 

Or is it a case of undoing it as far as you can and then moving the wishbone up and down ?

I didn't try that because I was dubious that I might of ended up stuck and the car being un movable.

Unless I'm being thick !

Hi Robbie

Its not getting at the bolt that I'm having a problem with, I ended up tightening the bolt back up because I couldn't remove it because it hits the sump before its out. 

Or is it a case of undoing it as far as you can and then moving the wishbone up and down ?

I didn't try that because I was dubious that I might of ended up stuck and the car being un movable.

Unless I'm being thick !

It's been 4 weeks ish since i replace my front rear console bushes and i honestly don't remember the bolt fouling the sump on its way out. I did wiggle my wishbone about upon removal. 

Ok lads

Engine mount it is then.

Once I've solved that my next question will be how the eck do you stop the condensation inside the car in the winter !

Thanks for the help.

Dry the car out and solve the source of the water ingression, usually the rear doors so check the rear carpets, you may need to partially lift them as the top surface rarely feels damp. It may also help to update your profile with engine type for future reference :)

Edited by Avalon

Not even wet carpets. If you have a spot of water on the wrong side of the seal inside the rear door - this can inidcate an leaking seal. Had mine done under warrenty and fingers crossed no issues so far.

Hi Everyone

The reason I joined the forum is we have owned the 1.2 petrol Fabia Classic from new, and its still only done just over 40,000 miles.

But to be honest, the car has been a bit of a 'mare' since buying it.

We didn't have the car serviced from new at a Skoda dealers since we used local garages, however with money being tight I now try to do as much as I can myself.

Problems fixed at the local garage, replaced ECU, crack in the Cylinder head, one coil pack replaced.

We now have condensation inside the car, Air Con not working at all we think since since a new ECU. unit, and the electric windows sometimes refuse to work, so its not been the best.

Getting back to the condensation, its that bad in the winter, we gave three packs of crystals that absorb moisture on the rear parcel shelf.

The rear carpets are damp, will it be the rubber door seals, and are they easy to replace ?

Cheers

Tony

The rear carpets are damp, will it be the rubber door seals, and are they easy to replace ?

Cheers

Tony

It's an extremely common problem and has been covered here many times. It's not usually the rubber door seals but the seal around the metal door carrier behind the door card.

Watch this video:

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

In fairness to Robbie, we didn't find out the OP's car WAS a 3 cylinder till post 13.

I noticed at post 1. He has taken the time to fill his profile out.

Not knocking Robbie at all, it's just most when offering advice on Fabias forget there are more models and configurations than the vRS.

• Like 1

I noticed at post 1. He has taken the time to fill his profile out.

Not knocking Robbie at all, it's just most when offering advice on Fabias forget there are more models and configurations than the vRS.

+1. The amount of topics that start, for example, 'help, my vRS' (radio, door handle, parcel shelf etc doesn't work) is maddening :D A large % of the problems apply to ALL models and aren't vRS specific :wonder: