Extending warranty

When the Skoda assistance man came yesterday to help with my fault he said I could extend my warranty when the three years run out in sept.

Anyone done this?

We currently have full AA brakedown cover for me and OH which I negotiate down to about £140 pa.

Would i be able to dispense with this  as i think the extended warranty includes RAC breakdown cover

Thoughts...

Unless it is different for the Superb, is it not a 1 or 2 Year Skoda Extended Warranty, with or without Assistance?

It is with Car Care Plan but bought from Skoda.

You may get the Same Warranty Policy direct from Carplan for less.

http://carcareplan.co.uk

Ask the Skoda Dealership for the prices,

if they are not helpful and some may not be, 

which is surprising because they get good Commission arranging them.

Just call Skoda UK Customer Services, they can provide the information.

Exclusions and invalidates is the usual suspects,

Used for Hire/Reward, Mini Cabi/Taxi, Courier, Deliveries, Driving School, Hire car etc.

Then pretty much the obvious stuff that are Exclusions you get with an Original Manufacturers Warranty.

It is a Mechanical Parts and some electrics type stuff Warranty on a used car.

(if you want an Extended Manufacturers 1 or 2 years you buy that at the time of ordering the vehicle.)

You need to check the Policy Book or the Information Closely obviously.

Mileage, Servicing Schedules etc.

Stick whatever you'd pay a month into a savings account. It's there if you need it and still there if you don't.

Extended warranty is a form of insurance. When it comes to insurance there is only one side that makes money.

• Like 2

Stick whatever you'd pay a month into a savings account. It's there if you need it and still there if you don't.

Extended warranty is a form of insurance. When it comes to insurance there is only one side that makes money.

Very very true.

I have only ever paid for one warranty in my life and that was the 4th & 5th year from Skoda for my car.

For the likes of the Fabia mk2 vRS which has about 20% of the 1,800 sold 2010-2012 failing,

the replacement engine is costing £3,000 plus vat & near £1,000 labour.

So the 2 year warranty at £547 has been a god send to those that took one out at the end of the original Manufacturers warranty.

In the past month at least 3 Briskoda members with extended Warranties have had new engines fitted.

As it was the 'Extended Warranty' Underwriters have not paid the bills.

They have said Skoda are aware of the Twincharger High Oil use and Ebgine Failures and have not addressed the issues.

Skoda have rolled over and footed the bills.

You could argue they did not need Extended Warranties, but a Solicitor might well have cost more,.

& as it is, the Extended Warranties are still valid, for another year or more.

So maybe if you have a DSG or a vehicle that you are not going to be able to find Thousands to repair,

you buy that Extended Warranty,

or just take the gamble and do not.

It will be car and circumstance dependent.

I purchased an extended warranty from Allianz Insurance as it was a $1000 cheaper than Skoda. I've had two claims - an exhaust sensor that took two weeks of painful interaction with the dealer and a fuel lid catch that also took two weeks of negotiation.  None of the problems were with the warranty provider - they were excellent - just Skoda and their lack of parts . One worrying fact I learned though was that after market insurance covers repairs BUT NOT the investigation of the fault.   To be honest, I only bought it during the DSG worldwide issue as the potential cost of replacement/repair should my car be involved was worrying.

Edited by Sprightlybob