Towball nose weight?

Could anyone tell me the Towball limit for a skoda superb tdi cr 170 se, the hatchback, not the combi. Can't find it in the manual and have limited documentation with the car. I believe it may be 80kg is this correct? Thank you all in advance.

I wouldn't expect a difference between the hatchback and combi and my 170 DSG combi is rated at 80Kg according to the handbook. I tend to run at 75Kg though we picked up our new caravan this weekend so some experimentation may be needed.

Edited by unclerichy

I have the westfalia detachable fitted, though we are having the dedicated electrics fitted next week, as we have only ever towed a small camping trailer but have now bought a 2007 swift charisma 555. My concern was that the nose weight of these caravans seem a little high, though haven't picked it up yet so can't tell exactly what it is.

Snoopy,

The answer is on page 243 of my manual (1st page of section 'Technical Data' sub-section'Weight'). The maximum load on towball is 80kg for all models. This is the maximum legal load on towball, even if the plate on the towbar gives a higher weight. If you exceed the manufacturer's load limit you could be caught under the 'Consruction & Use Regulations'

Chris

My concern was that the nose weight of these caravans seem a little high, though haven't picked it up yet so can't tell exactly what it is.

Noseweight can be adjusted through loading of the caravan (as you're probably aware).  Our previous caravan, an Elddis, had a noseweight of 100kg when completely empty.  To tow it to the dealer I had to move all the upholstery onto the fixed bed to get down to under 80.

Our new caravan is longer, heavier and has a similar layout yet has a noseweight when empty of 65Kg!  I've had to do some careful loading to get the noseweight up to 75Kg.  Go figure.

Edited by unclerichy

How do you check the weight - put the jockey wheel on a bathroom scale ?

You can use a set of scales at the hitch using a pole between the 2 or get a spring gauge designed for the job. You can get a jockey wheel with a gauge built in but you need to do a calculation to get the correct reading.

I use a Reich digital gauge, easy to use and works well after trying all of the above.

Regards,

Kevin.

It depends on the towbar. Most I've looked at are 80KG for the Superb. Westfalia detachable is 100KG.

That is NOT correct and potentially dangerous advice. The nose weight limit is the least of the limits of the tow bar, and the car. In case of the Superb, the car's limit is 80 kg (which can be found in the manual in the "Towing a trailer" chapter). Even if the limit of the Westfalia tow bar were 200 kg, you are never allowed to have more than 80 kg nose weight.

• Like 1

How do you check the weight - put the jockey wheel on a bathroom scale ?

That is an option, but it will give a rather large deviation from the real value, since the jockey wheel can be up to 1 meter away from the actual coupling point where the trailer is coupled to the car.

Better option is to use a short wooden pole which supports the draw bar exactly where the tow bar should be. Than put this pole on the bathroom scale (with a small piece of wood in between, to distribute the load on the scale).

I have Milenco http://www.milenco.com/products/noseweight-gauge/ and Jockey wheel with built in gauge http://www.towsure.com/product/Jockey_Wheel_with_Integral_Nose_Weight_Guide?gclid=CL7euaiw8b0CFbLMtAodFEcAjw.

As stated always go by the lowest given weight either from car spec or towbar. I have westfalia detachable which says 100kg however limiting factor is car at 80kg, Have mine set at 80kg on the milenco which reads as 75kg on the jockey wheel.

Van is an Adria Astella which has max weight of 1800kg, 8 meter length on single axle and 2.5m wide I keep van at 1700kg and a 80kg noseweight also have alko ATC fitted.

I use a Reich digital gauge, easy to use and works well after trying all of the above.

Is that the little device that sits between the towball and coupling or the one that you drive the caravan over to get the various wheel weights?

Is that the little device that sits between the towball and coupling or the one that you drive the caravan over to get the various wheel weights?

The one that sits between the towball and hitch. Works very well.

Regards,

Kevin.

• 3 months later...

I made a hydraulic tester with a gauge.  You place this on the lift pad of a hydraulic jack and put the hydraulic ram in the ball pocket.  Raise the trailer tongue to the require ride height and read the weight on the gauge.  Direct reading and no calculations required.

I know this is drifting off Skodas a little but;

One other point worth noting concerning nose weight is never to load the back end of the caravan to reduce excess nose weight, this is dangerous, if it is too heavy at the front, take some thing out of the locker or front cupboards in the caravan. I have seen first hand what happens if the rear is counter loaded with £25000 of Range Rover and £18000 worth of Bailey Caravan in pieces. Not mine, I was the Policeman dealing with it.

Kevin