Well I have just changed my fuel filter on my R reg diesel.

I think the feed syphoned back but I've re-filled the filter, used a bulb pump to re-fill the line then opened the bleed on the injector pump and used the bulb to draw fuel out of that. It briefly started but now just spins. Almost flattened the battery so tried jump leads connected from our Fabia but it still just churns...

Thinking of calling someone out to sort it after the holidays but that is going to cost and I was trying to save some cash by doing it myself. :(

Wonder am I missing something or will it have generated some fault code and shut down the pump?

Try refilling the filter. But, before connecting the feed from the fuel tank, draw the diesel through it using your bulb pump. That way there will be no air between the tank and the filter. She'll turn over a few times but should fire quite quickly.

Thanks Call me Ishmael. I've done that. I'm as certain as I can be that there's enough fuel in there.

I've also tried slackening one of the injector unions now too. There's fuel getting there. Battery has had to come out now though to put it on charge so I'm on stop. Once it's got a healthy charge I'll start again.

Jolly good. I've changed the filter on my 1.9D every 20,000 miles for the past 11 years and it can be a bit of a faff to get her started (or keep her running) afterwards. Expect a bit of chugging until all the air bubbles clear.

Let us know how you get on when you get the battery back in.

One thing I wondered about - the Haynes manual warns against the high pressure at the injectors being dangerous. Am I safe to loosen the unions at the injectors whilst turning it over? I only slackened the one - flywheel end of the engine - but had cloths packed everywhere and round my hands and just enough of the union exposed to see the fuel seeping out as it turned. I didn't get a jet or anything, just fuel seeping from the joint.

The warning is to make you aware that diesel under injection pressure can cut your skin, rather like a razor. Obvioiusly you don't want that in the bloodstream!

If the fuel only seeped out, you're ok. Just be careful not to get your hand (or anyone else) in the way of any potential jet of fuel.

I still think if you've bled the system as far as the filter outlet, she'll start with a bit of cranking without further bleeding.

Didn't take long and she started. Missed a couple of beats and hunted up and down occasionally too but as the battery had been off overnight that wouldn't have been surprising anyway.

Think my problem was not clamping the feed from the tank properly and not realising how much it had syphoned back. By the time I sorted this by drawing the fuel back through I'd already flattened the battery.

So next time - properly clamp the feed from the tank (the line to the pump doesn't seem to be an issue as it doesn't syphon through the pump). Make sure the filter is full of diesel before cranking and that the battery is very healthy.

Other tips - getting the battery out of a diesel isn't straight forward as the strut brace is in the way but if you undo the nuts holding the end and centre of the plastic cover between windscreen and bonnet you can lift that just enough to get the extra clearance without having to disturb the strut brace.

Thanks for your advice, at least that's done for another 20,000 miles :happy: