Which clutch / DMF kit?

How do I know which manufacturer of clutch & DMF I have fitted?

I've been told that they need to take half the engine out to find out for certain...

Reason for asking is that I might be able to get a LUK kit very cheap, but am not going to try unless I know it is that one I need.

Does it matter if it is a Sachs kit now and I get a LUK one fitted (it's a 2007 Octavia so no warranty issues)?

AFAIK either can replace either, as long as you fit them as a complete kit, ie don't try using a Sachs clutch with LUK dmf, and vice versa.

Can anyone confirm this?

Hopefully I can get the complete LUK setup and anything else I need in one go.

Dunno.

When I booked it in, Tony didn't ask - as if I would know - they just had the parts on the rack when I arrived. From that I assume it doesn't matter.

While it may make sense to VAG to be able to source sub assemblies from a range of suppliers which may be different to avoid patent infringement etc, changing anything fundamental VAG made to suit, like crank PCD, could lead to a logistical nightmare.

The logic would seem to point to the whole being interchangeable, but not the individual components within the sub assembly.

If that makes sense.

Give shark a call n' ask.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the manufacturer making their clutch compatible with their DMF but not necessarily that of another manufacturer, but if I get a LUK clutch kit & DMF can I fit that irrespective of what is currently fitted?

Or am I taking an expensive gamble?

Because the 1.9 is so much more refined with SMF

Mike

I meant, why won't the 2 litre take a SMF?