More Ignition Switch Questions

After our recent investigation we are still not sure about the ignition switch which we have  been advised to change.

My sister isnt using the key fob to open the car. She uses the key, the fob battery is flat and they cant open it.

So if they change the ignition switch does anyone know if it needs to be coded? At the moment she isnt using the fob at all.

If she continues to use the key surely she shouldnt need to get it coded or is there something more going on in the background?

Hope the question makes sense.

What makes you think it's the ignition switch if the car starts on jump leads?

Personally Im not sure at all thats why I asked the question but thats what they have been told that its the ignition switch. Very confused myself, the person seems to think that is what is drawing the power and dissipating the battery. It will cost them £200 to change it and get it coded (hence this particular thread, I didnt want to confuse the other issue which Is kind of what  we;ve come back to lol)

Id hate for them to find out it isnt that after spending that. Also not sure if they really need to get it coded.

For my old car I I was given directions to code it (which I understand we might not want to post publicly on the forum for security reasons) so if anyone can PM with that Id be really pleased.

Thanks for the input all

I don't know why you are being told a new ignition switch needs to be coded. They don't nor do they cost anywhere near £200

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-OCTAVIA-SUPERB-IGNITION-STARTER-SWITCH-4B0905849-A37-/200822260902?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ec1f084a6

The steering wheel and airbag need to come off to replace it but a good mechanic should be able to do it in an hour.

TBH it sounds like the person they are going to has not a clue what they are talking about or/and is trying to rip them off.

The same switch is fitted across most of the vag cars that use that type of key. I replaced one in each of the seat leons I owned myself. No need for any coding.

In the first leon I had no lights or indicators and it was the switch burnt out causing it. The second one had intermittent starting problems so I replaced the switch but it was not the problem. Ended up being a broken wire at the starter.

It really doesn't sound like the ignition switch is the problem, far more likely to be the alternator load sense wire or the alternator itself not charging the battery properly, the car will not run for long on the battery alone at all, the charging system must be working properly. Get a second opinion from a proper auto electrician.

• Like 1