170 TDI gearchange into 5th/6th

AGyeti

Hope everyone's having a relaxing Easter weekend.

Grateful for advice on a gearbox issue. I had the rare opportunity to take Tibet 2 (2012 170 TDI manual) onto some A roads this weekend, and stretch her out a little. Most of my driving so far has been in London or motorway trips with a baby in the back. On 3 - 4 non-consecutive occasions I couldn't find the 5th/6th plane - each situation was the same  - accelerating hard up through the gears, tried to change from 4th to 5th at 3-3.5K and I couldn't get the lever to shift right, and after a bit of fiddling I put her in 3rd again. The feeling on trying to pull the lever to the right was a "spongy" block and on pushing up I got 3rd.

The first couple of times I blamed my incompetence at having driven an auto for the last few years (but manuals for several years before), but when it happened a couple more times I thought I'd post.  

I tried to re-create it driving back on the M40 and could not - the gearbox shifted to the 5th/6th plane each time easily.

Am I being a total idiot, or should I ask the dealer to take a look?

By the way I'm really impressed with the Yeti and TDI 170 engine. She was great on the motorway through the heavy rain showers.

Edited by AGyeti

Can't be 100% sure of course but I'd doubt that there's anything amiss. My experience is that you either get it right and gear selection is slick or (very occasionally once familiar) you get it not quite right and then can't find the target gear; you then have to recycle the gear selection, ie go back a gear and try again. It sounds like this is a new vehicle to you (?) and it's just a matter of learning the feel of the gearbox.

Edited by prodata

I drive everything from a Ka to a 4250kg transit. I don't have a problem with getting the right gear at the right time. My own car has DSG and I have driven the same model Yeti without issue so the auto/manual thing is not relevant. With a new car, I wouldn't hesitate to have it checked if I was at all unsure.

Very strange - speaking as one who put the first 18k miles in TIBET II!

I never had an issue with her (or I or III) but that isn't to say a problem has appeared, of course. Driving was at times spirited cross country work - why else would you have a CR170...

The selector is of course sprung to the 3/5th plane.

(Speaking from a far off land in TIBET III...)

I've been driving manuals for years and still get things wrong, crunched the gears in the Octy (fairly new car to me) three or four times recently, by not getting the clutch actuation v gear change correctly synchronised  :S  :giggle:

Maybe you had something similar :wonder:

TP

Hope everyone's having a relaxing Easter weekend.

Grateful for advice on a gearbox issue. I had the rare opportunity to take Tibet 2 (2012 170 TDI manual) onto some A roads this weekend, and stretch her out a little. Most of my driving so far has been in London or motorway trips with a baby in the back. On 3 - 4 non-consecutive occasions I couldn't find the 5th/6th plane - each situation was the same  - accelerating hard up through the gears, tried to change from 4th to 5th at 3-3.5K and I couldn't get the lever to shift right, and after a bit of fiddling I put her in 3rd again. The feeling on trying to pull the lever to the right was a "spongy" block and on pushing up I got 3rd.

The first couple of times I blamed my incompetence at having driven an auto for the last few years (but manuals for several years before), but when it happened a couple more times I thought I'd post.  

I tried to re-create it driving back on the M40 and could not - the gearbox shifted to the 5th/6th plane each time easily.

Am I being a total idiot, or should I ask the dealer to take a look?

By the way I'm really impressed with the Yeti and TDI 170 engine. She was great on the motorway through the heavy rain showers.

The first time I had a 6 speed gearbox I found it took some getting used too.  I had a VW EOS before the Yeti and found the gate was very small so getting the right gear was a challenge. I too would select 3rd when I tried to move up the box into 5th. I eventually got used to it. When I got the Yeti the gear selector was similar so didn't have a problem.  if you get a manual with the 6 speed box you will get used to it I am sure.    

It is very easy to select reverse instead of 1st at standstill with mine, so always done with caution, I'd swear the 5 speed gearbox version I took for a test-drive had a stronger spring to depress to get into reverse. But apart from that no other problems with the 6 speed box.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think it's just my technique as I've been unable to recreate the problem when consciously thinking about gear changes. I've noticed when changing up through the box at higher rpm from 3rd to 4th to 5th the resistance to enter the 5th/6th plane can sometimes be stronger, but that's it. I'd obviously been driving an auto for too long...

Thanks again :happy: