Towing with the mongrel

Considering towing as a long term thing - potentially. :)

I am fortunate in that my car being a Fabia TDI is fine and legal to tow - i.e believe it can tow up to 450kg unbraked (I am not planning on caravanning :D) but I was wondering about things like nose weight etc. :)

Anyone tow with a Fabia TDI mark 1? :)

This is rather worrying. I have been using my VRS to tow a box trailer sometimes quite heavily loaded for a while now. It seems more than capable at doing the job as well. Car came with a tow bar when I bought it. How likely are the police to enforce this though? Surely they don't carry around a list of cars that aren't approved?

Totally ignorant to this fact and my previous Bora 100pd could tow but it was certainly more difficult than with the fabia....

Sounds like i'm going to have to remove the tow bar and sell my trailer........

Realistically, providing nothing goes wrong, I think you'll be OK.

However.... What happens in the event of an accident, particularly one where there are injuries or road closures/clean-up? Both the Police and insurance companies will take a very long look at the situation. Any potential illegalities WILL come out at that point.

I'd also point out that towing adds opportunity to stuff it up in the first place.

ISTR the VRS wasn't homologated because of the deep skirt of the rear bumper.

Wasn't it found even having the towbar fitted to a non-type approved vehicle illegal in the same way as a non-EU marked one is (as the vehicle has no approval no towbar can be deemed suitable)? I believe this came up in the citigo forum as someone wanted one just for carrying cycles.

You may not even have to be towing with it for your insurer to tell void your insurance in a crash.

I'm also intrigued how you can tow another car on a trailer with a Fabia, since it is so light.

I'm also intrigued how you can tow another car on a trailer with a Fabia, since it is so light.

I'm not sure who mentioned about towing a car on a trailer, but that's not the OP's plan.

I have towed my vxr all round the country using a dolly with no problems

I'm not sure who mentioned about towing a car on a trailer, but that's not the OP's plan.

it was in response to this.  I think a corsa + trailer probably weighs more than a fabia which I think would make it a little dodgy for towing legally, even if the car can do it fine. :)

I know I wouldn't tow a whole car behind mine.

Well the VRS seems perfectly capable but don't think i want to risk it for the potential of having insurance not cover in the event of an accident happening.....

Quite glad this has been brought up as otherwise i would be totally oblivious!

It's not the fact if police pull you over for it, it's more about if you get in to an accident while towing then your insurance will not cover you.

+1 on the insurance.

Towing a car on a dolly IS likely to attract Police/VOSA attention and when they check the (non-existent) towing weights you will have a problem.

I only know of one case (first hand) where a prosecution has taken place but having spoken to the owner, I assume this was due to an 'attitude problem'.

• Like 1

They tend to keep a closer eye on towing dollys as many are unbraked and putting a car on them means you are way, way over your unbraked towing limit...

• Like 2

it was in response to this.  I think a corsa + trailer probably weighs more than a fabia which I think would make it a little dodgy for towing legally, even if the car can do it fine. :)

you wouldn't fancy towing a mk1 Octavia estate, with a 1.8T and 6 speed gearbox etc in the boot with a mk1 Fabia estate then? fun times :)

My polo gt which is the same box/engine/chassis as the fabi tows my trailer all day long, y

Admittedly its with a motorbike and kit/gear so around 500kg max, but doesn't really affect the car

My polo gt which is the same box/engine/chassis as the fabi tows my trailer all day long, y

Admittedly its with a motorbike and kit/gear so around 500kg max, but doesn't really affect the car

It's not a question of it being possible, it's about the legality. Having your insurance voided in the event of an accident, facing a massive bill/bankruptcy and the CPS going after you for no insurance are not the kind of life events a future insurer will look favourably on, but yes, I'm sure we all agree its possible to tow on a vRS. Just like its possible to stage 3 it and not tell your insurer, the issue arises when something bad happens and they find out.

Edited by Avalon
  • Like 1

not on a trailer a dolly (36kg) fabia weight 1250kg corsa vxr  weight 1350kg towed it all round the country having numerous engine mods done ect be towing it to owens development's in a few months

Well, unbraked limit even for my official homologomated (sure i spelled that wrong :D) for towing car is 450kg.  Any over this has to be braked, and then I don't know if there is another upper limit for a braked trailer.

Doubt this will format right, but looks to be a rough 85% rule for braked trailers?

Make Model Year Kerbweight (Kg) 85% (Kg) Towing Capacity (Kg) Towing Capacity (Lbs) Caravans Within Capacity

Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDi 2007    1170      994.5               1200                                   2645

Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDI 2008    1242     1055.7             1200                                   2645

Jason, think your limit for a braked trailer will be 1000kg with a nose weight of 50kg, that what our 04 Fabia 1.9 tdi Elegance was rated at.