Civic to VRS - would I be disappointed?

Hey all,

Thinking of travelling to see a VRS tomorrow, but am keen to hear owners opinions on my possible swap.

I currently have a 2.2 I-ctdi civic, which I realise is a much more refined engine than the vag PD lump, but I prefer the power delivery of the pd over the civic and also I believe the PD lump to be more reliable. I'm just concerned about the quality of ride/handling/ interior wear over the civic?

I realise the civic isn't premium plastic by any chance and infact for what they cost I believe them to be relatively poor.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

The ride and handling can be transformed with some new suspension, the interior is fairly basic and boring but you can make little touches to make it better, the Civic steering wheel and dash looks like a spaceship compared to the Fabia dash.

tuned vrs would rape a civic

The civic could also be remapped so that's neither here nor there. I believe they make similar power remapped? Civic is 193hp mapped and fabia 183 according to celtic tuning.

The ride and handling can be transformed with some new suspension, the interior is fairly basic and boring but you can make little touches to make it better, the Civic steering wheel and dash looks like a spaceship compared to the Fabia dash.

I've a mate with a furby, perhaps I'll ask him for a drive later on. I had a bora tdi and that was bland but well put together, civic is just cheap inside - spaceship or not ;)

I do like the dash etc though!

The civic could also be remapped so that's neither here nor there. I believe they make similar power remapped? Civic is 193hp mapped and fabia 183 according to celtic tuning.

POWER TO WEIGHT! makes a difference! civic 1910kg furby 1250kg if im right

http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/honda/honda-civic-2.2-i-dtec-es.asp

Edited by steveopc

Guest BigJase88

Who cares

A mapped fabia vrs is still a slow car.

A lot of 17-21 year olds seem to get a hard on over a 170bhp skoda fabia. Even it cannot slay a mustang believe it or not

:)

Edited by BigJase88

I've driven a civic and owned a mapped etc fabia VRS.

The civic costs more, and it has more toys in it, not sure about insurance running costs, the power delivery of the civic is smoother.

I think a Fabia looks better, goes better when remapped.

A fabia weighs over 1300KG IIRC 1320KG, they are heavier than people think.

• Like 1

OP just go and drive one.

You'll get fan boys and haters on both sides but in the end it's all down to personal preference.

If you like the Fabia enough and the financial side works out do it.

If the money's not right or you don't like the Fabia don't bother.

It's your car so do what you like, unless other people opinions matter that much.

simples really

your asking on a skoda forum, everyone's going to big up the vrs....

Was hoping to get some unbiased opinions ;)

I want something as well built as my Bora was, which I assume the fabia is possibly not. So perhaps I've answered my own question and will stick with the civic until something VW with a 1.9pd 130 lump and lowish mileage comes along!

The fabia was a se with 60k on the clock so I figured engine wise should be a reasonably safe bet!

Thanks all

With fuel economy and running costs - Hell no

With raw power and handling - quite possibly

Pay your money and take your choice.

Oh and the Fabia is as near to VW as you can get so you'll probably get the same reliability from it.

Edited by theezenutz

With fuel economy and running costs - Hell no

With raw power and handling - quite possibly

Pay your money and take your choice.

Oh and the Fabia is as near to VW as you can get so you'll probably get the same reliability from it.

Sorry mate I don't understand what question you're replying to.

Sorry mate I don't understand what question you're replying to.

I want something as well built as my Bora was, which I assume the fabia is possibly not. So perhaps I've answered my own question and will stick with the civic until something VW with a 1.9pd 130 lump and lowish mileage comes along!

Hence why I said the fabia will be just as reliable because it's made essentially by the same people. :happy:

Your not really comparing apples with apples if your looking at performance.

A fabia is not a civic type-r. One is a n/a petrol whilst one is a turbo diesel. If you want civic performance then look at a audi s3 which would show the civic it's nice pert bottom.

A turbo diesel drives completely different to a civic type-r which you should already know considering you have owned a pd bora.

Who said anything about a civic type R?

Your not really comparing apples with apples if your looking at performance.

A fabia is not a civic type-r. One is a n/a petrol whilst one is a turbo diesel. If you want civic performance then look at a audi s3 which would show the civic it's nice pert bottom.

A turbo diesel drives completely different to a civic type-r which you should already know considering you have owned a pd bora.

• Like 1

In terms of value and reliability i'd take a PD over a Honda CTDI, the number of issues with Civic's in general put me off, the old S/R's were nice well put together cars, the 'new' ones are neither nice or well put together.

Edited by Avalon

Guest BigJase88

The 2.2 derv apparently chews through clutches and flywheels at 60k intervals

But then on the other hand the fabia also eats clutches and flywheels, front bushes, weak turbo's.

Id say if the civic is issue free id just stick with