Garret turbo gasket?

Jay29

As per title I have picked up a PD130 Garret turbo GT1749VA off an Audi A3

My question is... Which gaskets will I need to fit this unit? Are they the same gasket sizes used on the KKK?

I would like to get this turbo cleaned up and bead blasted to make it look spanking but no one does the job?

Not turbo dynamics, not turbo technics

Someone must do it??

All I'd have to do then Is get a new turbo oil feed, and clock the unit... Happy days

Contemplating to fit as soon as or wait for kkk to fail if it does

Cool seen a gasket set on eBay for 20quid

Mine is a blt model... So will need clocking to fit, my egr pipe is still in place, is the egr cooler joined to this pipe? Do not want to delete

Edited by Jay29

Mine is a blt model... So will need clocking to fit, my egr pipe is still in place, is the egr cooler joined to this pipe? Do not want to delete

That'll depend massively on what turbo you've actually bought and what it came off.

I put a BLT turbo on my ASZ engine and the EGR didn't line up due to the different EGR arrangements between those engines and the fact that that meant a different cast exhaust manifold attached to 2 identical turbos.

I'd imagine it'd be a massive fluke if the turbo you've bought happens to just bolt straight on with everything being able to remain in place....

It was a ASZ

Mine is BLT with blanked EGR however my pipe is still in place as I kept oem look

If I clock and fit the Garret gt1749va would I lose the EGR cooler pipe? Are they joined?? Would this mean that I'd have no choice but to delete?

If Garrett make them the same as KKK (and I assume they'd HAVE to have the same exhaust manifold) then the connection to the EGR will be a different length and position on the 2 manifolds

BLT turbo

IMAG0310_zps9c548596.jpg

ASZ turbo

IMAG0315_zps0d5b3aa1.jpg

The casting of the BLT was shorter to allow for the extra pipework for the EGR cooler (fitted to help the later engines on emissions)

When I did BLT turbo on to ASZ engine it was fine cos I just blanked off the hole in the manifold, removed the pipe from the underside of the EGR and blanked that hole too.

EGR assembly stayed in place but given the lack of interaction with the exhaust manifold it was not operational.

All vac pipes stayed attached meaning no dash lights meaning no need to do a remedial remap.

I'd imagine the same will be true of the reverse ASZ on to BLT swap but obviously with the EGR cooler thrown in to the mix

Cheers pastyboy mine is already mapped so no CEL

My only concern was the egr cooler pipe I wanna leave many pipes in place as possible and don't wanna b buying a delete kit and egr cooler hose

There's a difference between being mapped for performance and being mapped to account for the removal of the EGR.

I think they tinker with 2 different areas of the ECU.

As said on my ASZ I had to take the pipe that connected the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve out.

Cos when I put it together it looked like this

IMAG0313_zpsa2248de5.jpg

I removed the pipe completely and just blanked the two holes (one in the manifold one in the EGR) everything else remained in place and everything functioned correctly.

removing the pipe and blanking those 2 holes is essentially the pikey version of an EGR delete as it does exactly the same job (and is £13 rather than £93)

You may be able to do something similar on your BLT engine, but you will lose the operation of your EGR valve.

The BLTs separate EGR cooler does add extra complications but I can't say what as I've not done it.