Superb Elegance CR 170 4x4 DSG - Options?

Hi all,

After wrestling with a new estate purchase I have decided on the Superb Elegance CR 170 4X4 DSG.  My question to those who have one is what options are must haves and which are a waste of time.

At the moment I have the following spec quoted from several dealers:

NEW SUPERB ESTATE 2.0 TDI CR 170 ELEGANCE 4X4 5DR DSG
METALLIC - METAL GREY
18" Trinity alloy wheels
Variable boot floor with aluminium rail and partition system
Electrically operated boot with retractable parcel shelf
Intelligent parking assist with front, rear and side parking sensors
Front/rear floor mats
Heated front seats 
Rear side airbags
Space saver spare wheel
Heated washer nozzles
Hill hold control
Keyless entry and start
3 spoke multifunction leather steering wheel including paddle shift
Aluminium inlays
Leather - Onyx
Sunset glass from b-pillar back
Roll-up sun screen for rear side windows
Upgraded sound system (10 Speakers)
Multi device interface
Panoramic sunroof

I am not sure on the wheels: Trinity vs Luxon.  Anybody have any views?  I would have gone for the L&K but my brain could not process the interior trim options.

Cheers

raygun

Well,

options depends on personal preferences, I guess.

I have the same model, on top of Elegance spec I put:

- additional side airbags in the back

- autonomous heater

- sound system

- tinted windows

- electric boot

- kessy

- roof spoiler

- Bolero radio with MDI

- Leather/Alcantara (free of charge)

- 3 spoke multi-functional steering wheel with DSG shift paddles

- hands free system

- nets in the boot plus the one which separates boot space from passenger space

I've skipped:

- 18' wheels - not for our roads...

- Panoramic sunroof - various reasons - leak possibility, saving headroom in the back

- Leather - I do not like it. Too hot, too cold, too slippery. Alcantara is great for me.

I'd ditch the roll up blinds for rear side windows - from the exterior the sunset glass is dark enough IMO.

Ref wheels - definitely the Trinity B)  I love them!

Hi all,

After wrestling with a new estate purchase I have decided on the Superb Elegance CR 170 4X4 DSG.  My question to those who have one is what options are must haves and which are a waste of time.

At the moment I have the following spec quoted from several dealers:

NEW SUPERB ESTATE 2.0 TDI CR 170 ELEGANCE 4X4 5DR DSG
METALLIC - METAL GREY
18" Trinity alloy wheels
Variable boot floor with aluminium rail and partition system
Electrically operated boot with retractable parcel shelf
Intelligent parking assist with front, rear and side parking sensors
Front/rear floor mats
Heated front seats 
Rear side airbags
Space saver spare wheel
Heated washer nozzles
Hill hold control
Keyless entry and start
3 spoke multifunction leather steering wheel including paddle shift
Aluminium inlays
Leather - Onyx
Sunset glass from b-pillar back
Roll-up sun screen for rear side windows
Upgraded sound system (10 Speakers)
Multi device interface
Panoramic sunroof

I am not sure on the wheels: Trinity vs Luxon.  Anybody have any views?  I would have gone for the L&K but my brain could not process the interior trim options.

Cheers

raygun

Very nice spec and good choice of model.  Sounds like an L&K would be better value as some of those options would be cheaper if you went with an L&K.  What are your concerns about the trim?  The L&K is available in black or ivory as well as the brown and you can also spec the wood trim effect like the elegance (in fact it is a nicer shade of trim IMO) or you can have it in piano black.  If you choose either ivory or black seating the only difference on the interior will be the dash area / steering wheel and the top of the door mouldings which will be a very light shade of brown - I'd call it a light cappuccino!

Personally I don't see any huge benefit with keyless and I wouldn't pay for it if it was an option.  The sound system upgrade does make a difference and the sunset from b-pillar back really sets off the car.  Where are you based BTW - sounds like you're not in UK/Ireland looking at some of those options

The panoramic sunroof gives more headroom for rear seat passengers rather than less. When it opens it slides the opened part upwards and over the second glass section that extends over the rear seats rather than under the roof level and into lowered headlining like most standard sunroofs.

The heated windscreen is something I'd definitely go for if I was speccing a new car, that or the auxilliary heater, but the option to get this seems to come and go randomly. Also make sure the glass cover on your insurance covers the sunroof glass too... 

The only thing I hate about my new car is KESSY. I didn't have a choice as it came with the trim level, but I didn't realise how much I'd dislike it. If there is an option I would never have again its that.

I also wouldn't pay for self parking or an upgraded sound system as they have no value to me, but that's personal preference.

But I would add the heated windscreen, its something I miss from my Ford many moons ago.

I recently priced up very similar spec, but didn't add sun screens, MDI (never used it) and panoramic sunroof. Only additional item I had that yours doesnt was heated rear seats, otherwise everything else is the same. Quote came to just over £33K and highest discount offered with 0% PCP was ~£2,000 off by Alex Lawrie. I went for Trinity's too.

Personally, I decided to go for an E-class AMG sport auto estate with ~£2K extras for about £15 a month more than Superb. Sacrificed 4x4 in favour of driving something different for the next 3-4 years. £7K discount and significantly better final value brought e-class so close to Superb as list price was about £7500 more. Audi A6 discounts were even higher and resulted in a cheaper monthly cost than Superb.

Cheers

Steve

The only thing I hate about my new car is KESSY. I didn't have a choice as it came with the trim level, but I didn't realise how much I'd dislike it. If there is an option I would never have again its that.

This again shows how subjective things are. I am happy with kessy - it works ok for me. The only thing I miss from it - possibility to open passenger doors as well. But ok - no probl to touch driver handle for unlocking and then open passenger door. 

Nice specs. Although I think this topic has been handled here a number of times, my two cents.

In reflection to some of these comments my personal views:

• KESSY - just awesome. I wouldn't imagine my life without it anymore - no need to find the key from the pockets (unless to open the boot), I really think it's very convenient option. BTW KESSY opens from both sides!
  • Roll-up blinds - the 'sunset glass' is not dark enough and when having people in back seat, quite nice. Also it's more stylish then the later 'add-on' thingies that won't look as good. Price is a bit different though.
  • Heated windscreen - handy but I'd say up to UK weather. With colder weaher more power still needed.
  • Panoramic sunroof - the biggest problem can be some creaks? from it when closed (due to constructional reasons) and some additional maintenance (due to moving parts). No leaking in 2½ years, no less headroom (compared to modern saloons), no colder roof. But I really like it. Gives more openness, from the beginning of spring up to late autumn very often open. :sun:
  • 3-spoke wheel - the steering wheel itself is a bit thicker and I think the paddles can be quite nice. Don't have myself unfortunately, but thinking of retrofitting. When speccing, would definitely consider.
  • Leather - oh yeah. In my case couldn't stand the alcantara. Just dislike this hairy stuff. But perforated leather was good. Yes, cold in winter (heating for this), yes hot in summer (ivory not so much, but we have ventilation for that :)). The main reason was ventilated seats - quite cheap option but with hotter summer days even normal textile seats can become uncomfortable and ventilation is good enough for longer distances.
  • Electric boot is nice. No wiping with your feet undreneath the back to open it though, but still good. The only 'bu' is regarding the way it closes. This 'thump' is quite loud and physical, especially as compared to e.g. Accord but still better than none.
  • Hill hold is a nice touch, as otherwise the car can roll back. Nothing dramatic but handy.
  • The aluminium rail and partition system is good. Qith luggage and holdin stuff in place this is recommended, but definitely net system to be added. Then it's really handy - if needed all of it can be removed or adjusted.
  • Heated nozzles is good as it keeps them from freezing, however as the wipers do not have their designated heated section (in the bottom of the windscreen) still not much of use as the wipers will be freezing and require cleaning now and then. At least I have this issue.
  • Space saver spare wheel - if a bigger damage to a tire happens - no use of the foam and compressor. When driving longer distances or in more remote areas, I'd definitely go for it.

• Something didn't see being mentioned here - double sun-visor. Costs pennies as an extra but very handy and nice option. Quite often sun tends to be from two sides and comes very handy indeed.
  • Aux. heating - as it is of a cost I'd say - the colder the winters the more of use to it. With UK winters maybe not so essential as in more Nordic areas but definitely a good option. Especially if with remote control and cooling function for summer.
Edited by Jannesm

This again shows how subjective things are. I am happy with kessy - it works ok for me. The only thing I miss from it - possibility to open passenger doors as well. But ok - no probl to touch driver handle for unlocking and then open passenger door. 

You should be able to change that on the MFD i.e. between single and all door closing (in comfort sub menu I think)

Nice specs. Although I think this topic has been handled here a number of times, my two cents.

In reflection to some of these comments my personal views:

• 3-spoke wheel - the steering wheel itself is a bit thicker and I think the paddles can be quite nice. Don't have myself unfortunately, but thinking of retrofitting. When speccing, would definitely consider.
  • Electric boot is nice. No wiping with your feet undreneath the back to open it though, but still good. The only 'bu' is regarding the way it closes. This 'thump' is quite loud and physical, especially as compared to e.g. Accord but still better than none.

Shift paddles - nice (and cheap) option, but as far as I am getting used to how DSG works - I am not using paddles anymore. Even when going downhill it is enough to brake once I DSG somehow understands that I need engine braking and downshifts. But shift paddles looks good on steering wheel :)

Electric boot - I always have problem with car wash guys. Does not matter I notify them about it, they still are trying to open/close the boot by force. I hope they wont break it one day...Of course it is not the reason for not having it :)

You should be able to change that on the MFD i.e. between single and all door closing (in comfort sub menu I think)

yes I know that. 

but I had in mind different thing - when i am coming to the car, let's say with my bag, which I keep on back seat. so instead opening back door at once (how you can do on expensive audi :) ) - I first have to touch drivers door handle and then open passenger back door. 

Edited by LS108

I'd personally use the paddles for acceleration only as the manual shifting with gear lever is against my logics - I'd shift up towards me and down - away, but Škoda has a different/opposite view...

When braking - just release the pedal and it brakes (with engine) itself - never need to use the gears yourself.

Regarding the electric boot - our car wash operators see a lot more expensive cars with el. boots so this is not an issue. However most of the people in my car tend to use force so I removed the plastic handle thingy from inside the lid. Now at least they ask first. :whew:  

If to close it manually slowly, it's okay, even in emergency situations needed. Problem will arise of excessive speed-force where the thread will be damaged. A costly stupidity AFAIK.

Oh I see what you mean, the back doors.  Yeah that's a small thing really and not something we can probably live with.  It certainly wouldn't make me rush out to spend an extra €15K to €20K on a certain other brands for that privilege  :happy:

• Something didn't see being mentioned here - double sun-visor. Costs pennies as an extra but very handy and nice option. Quite often sun tends to be from two sides and comes very handy indeed

I actually ordered that in my current car, one of the few options left!  It is really handy and as say only costs a small amount.  The only thing is that you lose the vanity lights when you order this option, as I found out myself - or at least I assume that is why the lights are missing??  Is it the same on yours?

Thanks for all of the quick and detailed replies guys!  Much food for thought!

I am in the UK and all the options listed are from either the brochure / speccing in the dealership or using the online configurator.

What is the autonomous / auxiliary heater?  I have not seen this option anywhere.  What does it do exactly and if anyone has a "code" or something I could mention to the dealer to assist in their understanding.

Is the electric boot worth the hassle given that wife / car wash people could break it?  My wife breaks everything in my house, for a tiny lady she is so rough with things.

As for the L&K, I would be dead keen on it but the dash/door moulds and steering wheel would need to be black.  I'm not coping with the cappucino option.  I haven't seen the onyx black leather as an option on the L&K anywhere.  Does anyone have any pictures?

Thanks again guys,

Raygun

Don't know where you are but I won't buy a car with a spacesaver spare, I'd be upgrading to a full size steely or alloy.  Here in AU an 80km speed limit and 100km distance limit won't get you anywhere.  Then again, if you're going 18" wheels, you won't get a full size one under the boot.  I didn't get 18" wheels as it's not a sports car and I was looking for ride quality and not banging and thumping over poor roads.  Plus think of the cost difference on the tyres when you replace them.

+1 for KESSY, I love it

+1 for steering wheel paddles, I used them all the time, particularly to downshift early e.g. on freeway offramps etc.

The electric boot is meh, it's nice when your hands are full but it's kinda slow.  You'll need to find someone with VCDS when you get it to enable the keyfob and button near the gearstick to close the boot as well as open it, and if you want turn off the annoying beeping noise.  Not sure it's worth the cost of the option but it is sort-of-nice.

We don't have the option in the UK for the full size factory spare.  Have you just gone and bought a 17" and fitted it into the spot?

The KESSY is key.  I am driving a 6 month old Mazda6 Tourer at the moment and it has the keyless entry and its very useful.

Yeah, not sure I am sold on the electric boot.  Seems to be an overly complex solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Ok well I suppose the L&k is not a runner then as the dash will be light brown and the interior is either brown or ivory. When I mentioned ivory and black earlier, the black I was referring to was actually the carpet area as you can have all ivory or the lower carpet area in black (but I didn't do a good job explaining that in the post so sorry if I misled you there). No onyx leather option AFAIK for the l&k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have the option in the UK for the full size factory spare.

That's a shame, it wouldn't take a lot to fit a full size spare. In Ireland it is included, albeit a 16" but I'd take that over a spacesaver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't have the option in the UK for the full size factory spare.  Have you just gone and bought a 17" and fitted it into the spot?

The KESSY is key.  I am driving a 6 month old Mazda6 Tourer at the moment and it has the keyless entry and its very useful.

Yeah, not sure I am sold on the electric boot.  Seems to be an overly complex solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Mine came with a 16" steel spare with a 205/55 tyre.  I think a 17" alloy would fit.

For the boot, it is handy some times, like when picking people up from the airport as I can open/close the boot from the drivers seat.  It does get a bit upset some times when it's really windy.  It starts to close and then a gust of wind catches the door and the anti-crush-small-children feature kicks in and the door stops and beeps.  Other than that, it's more + than - but I wouldn't stretch my budget to pay for it.