Which Bluetooth module

I've searched and got no definitive answer, so -

There are lots of bluetooth modules around and I'm at a loss to decide which will and won't work.

Skoda Yeti 2011 Columbus unit with white Maxi Dot display. MFSW but NO PHONE button on steering wheel. iPhone 4.

It looks to me like units with the code 3C80035730#  are the ones to look for.

I've come across this but I don't know if this is any use or not.

Also Aerial/antenna are they built into the Columbus unit or do I need the antenna that comes with some of the kits?

ANY help appreciated.

That is an older module which doesn't offer much functionality.

Instead go for a 3C8035730D module if you can as these are the newest and given you have the newer maxidot, will pair with your iPhone4 (using the hands free protocol) and will also give you premium options (such as text read out or WiFi hotspot) for certain other phones which work in rSap mode (e.g. Samsung S2, S3, S4, S5 etc.)

The 3C8 module allows pairing to a media player (can be the same or separate from your phone) to allow streaming and they also integrate well with the Columbus head unit. You don't need a phone button on the steering wheel as you can use the maxidot or headunit controls instead.

They are also getting cheaper e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Bluetooth-BT-Premium-FSE-rSAP-SMS-A2DP-WLAN-3C8035730D-NEW-PRICE-/121325740813?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c3f93e30d, which is a bargain for a new unit.

You will need a loom, microphone and GSM antenna to fit it in but it is quite easy (guides on here) and these can be got from www.carsystems.pl (see: http://www.carsystems.pl/bluetooth-installation-kit-plug-play-for-premium-module-5n0-and-3c8,id115.html or http://www.carsystems.pl/bluetooth-installation-kit-plug-play-for-premium-module-5n0-and-3c8-foam-cover,id118.html if you want a cover for under the seat ) or try Eddie-NL who has had some for sale in the past.

Adam

• Like 1

The antenna is needed to support the rSap mode, where the car takes over the SIM card and effectively becomes the phone (hence the need for an antenna).  They stick to the windscreen, and as you would be going up the A pillar with the microphone lead, it is no extra hassle to run one up the pillar to the top of the windscreen at the same time.  

You wouldn't need it if you only used HFP mode with your iPhone, but worth fitting at the same time for the minimal extra cost and effort in case you ever wanted to pair in premium mode to a different phone.

Adam

• Like 1